• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teenage Pheasants? (1 Viewer)

Carless

Hi all. Once again I've had a good look at some birds, assumed that I'd be able to easily identify them, and found it not so easy.

OK, I'm cycling through a park, and I see a group of 5-6 medium sized ground birds. At first I thought they were female mallards, but getting closer, I saw that they were a grouse-type bird.

At first I thought they weren't pheasants as they were slightly smaller. While most of them appeared to be a female pheasant brown. But one or two of them had some black and a few red feathers. They didn't have a longer tail.

The birds walked with an unusual posture, which I thought would be distinctive. They walked "tall" on their legs with their beaks and heads pointed up. When I've seen pheasants, they've been closer to the ground. Do they adapt their posture when in longer plants in a marshy area.

I've got the RSPB's "Complete Birds of Britain and Europe" (or similar title) beside me. Looking through, the birds looked like either female black grouse, or female pheasants. The birds with the "male"-ish coloured feathers didn't have extended tail feathers, which sort of rules out everything. I think they were too big to be grey partridge.

Looking through the book, I can't find any better match than pheasants. Perhaps black or red grouse, but I don't think either are found around Leicester in the UK.

Did I just see some young pheasants that weren't full sized? And where the males had some more coloured feathers, but hadn't yet fully coloured up or grown longer feathers? Can't see what else they might have been.

Did I just see some young pheasants that weren't full sized? And where the males had some more coloured feathers, but hadn't yet fully coloured up or grown longer feathers? Can't see what else they might have been.
Looks like it, Carless. Young pheasants, of varying sexes, would be my call.

Hi Carless

Another way to test out if they are pheasant juv's, is the fact that they are very neurotic in their behaviour.

They take off for any reason and make a lot of noise. Is this what they where doing? They are very jumpy at the best of times. Also they are very verbal.

I have seen lots of them while living in Scotland

Just wondering here?

certainly sounds like pheasants from the description. As you say, not much else they could be really.

Hi Carless

Another way to test out if they are pheasant juv's, is the fact that they are very neurotic in their behaviour.

They take off for any reason and make a lot of noise. Is this what they where doing? They are very jumpy at the best of times. Also they are very verbal.

I have seen lots of them while living in Scotland

Just wondering here?

They rushed across a path ahead of where I was cycling (though I stopped to look at them), but didn't make any noise. They then disappeared into undergrowth (nettles mainly), and I could see some "rustling" as I then cycled up to where I saw them and past. They didn't take off.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back