Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Can you make a Squirrel Baffle?

Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 08:35   #1
Chilt

Can you make a Squirrel Baffle?

Ive got a Tom Chambers feeding station and the poles are a big 38mm thick, ive looked for baffles to fit but no luck. Ive emailed the makers and just awaiting a reply.

So i put Vasaline on the pole and it seemed to be working but this moring watched the little bugger climb to the top and start destorying stuff haha. So ive re applied to vasaline so hopefully that will help for a bit but i dont want to have to keep re applying it all the time.

So i was wondering if theres a safe a good baffle i could make for the thick 38mm poles?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Chilt
Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 14:37   #2
btooze

This was suggested by another forum member - use two metal hanging baskets (as per attached pic). I have used this in the past to stop larger birds eating all the food and it works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1778_hanging%20basket%20bird%20haven_jpg-500x0.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	697302  
Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 15:12   #3
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilt View Post
Ive got a Tom Chambers feeding station and the poles are a big 38mm thick, ive looked for baffles to fit but no luck. Ive emailed the makers and just awaiting a reply.

So i put Vasaline on the pole and it seemed to be working but this moring watched the little bugger climb to the top and start destorying stuff haha. So ive re applied to vasaline so hopefully that will help for a bit but i dont want to have to keep re applying it all the time.

So i was wondering if theres a safe a good baffle i could make for the thick 38mm poles?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Chilt
I've always found it hard to make them do anything.......
Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 16:38   #4
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Buy Monkey Nuts and feed the Squirrels - then they'll leave your feeders alone

Well, the adults and non-pregnant/nursing females will. But the youngsters and pregnant/nursing females will sometimes go to the feeders too, but only once or twice a year during breeding season.

Oh, and put the Monkey Nuts in hard-to-reach places, and string a few together - then be entertained by the Squirrels (and the Jays, Crows, Magpies, and Wood Pigeons) that crack open the shells to get the kernels (apart from the Wood Pigeons, they swallow the whole Monkey Nut in one go).
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 14:33   #5
Chilt

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I’ve ended up buying a stainless steel mixing bowl, cutting a 40mm hole in it and will use it as a baffle, gunna install it maybe tomorrow with it resting on a hose grip, fingers crossed :)

Thanks
Chilt
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: