• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 8x32 (1 Viewer)

oleaf

Just found an ad in our local eagle festival brochure showing Meopta 8x32's

I'm an owner of 7x42's and really love them (am looking to post a short review later this week). At the time they didn't have the 32's.

The 7x42's are really top performing and comfortable to use. But, with these 32's I think you'll hear more about Meopta from the birders. Hope they perform like their full size bins!

Cheers

Attachments

• meopta_8x32.jpg
    meopta_8x32.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 643
ehrodz,

The ad had no spec numbers. But... when the festival arrives you can bet I will try to handle a pair. You would think the FOV would be very wide if they follow the 42's they make. I am truly interested in this format (given my 7x42's are so nice!).

I also searched on the web but could find no more info.

Cheers

Ahh, now I can put a screen name to the real name. I did not put two and two together. I am glad to see you posted the pic and info here. I now have two upcoming bins that I am going to really look forward to trying out.

I was just handling a pair of the 8x42s at the local Cabelas the other day and was struck by how good the image in this line of bins is. They easily outclassed any of the other bins I tried in their price range.

Please do post any info/experiences as soon as you get them. Thank you.

Based on everything I've read here, and on personal impressions of the Meoptas, the 8x32 has a LOT of potential. It seems that the Meoptas are (if not quite the equal) at least comparable to the Swaro SLCs. And, I see that the focus wheel location is not reversed as on the 8x30 SLC.

This could be the mid-range priced top performer that many here have been looking for. I'm anxious to see them become available.

Frank: Do you still own the Meopta 8x42s?

APS

Sadly, no. I was forced to sell them about two months ago. I miss them though and if I were to purchase another 8x42 then it would probably be the Meopta. I was just looking through a pair at Cabelas last week. Oh, what a beautiful image.

Now that the 8x32 is hitting the market I may have to just wait and see how good it is optically.

Wouldn't it be something if they eventually went to HD/FL glass?

;)

Sadly, no. I was forced to sell them about two months ago. I miss them though and if I were to purchase another 8x42 then it would probably be the Meopta. I was just looking through a pair at Cabelas last week. Oh, what a beautiful image.

I have to ask: what abouth the Zeiss 7x42s?

(it's good to see you posting)

Hi All,

Should have some more info this week about actual specs on the 8x32's. Meopta sure doesn't make it easy for customers to find out about their bins. Word from the Shot show is these are incredible (we'll see.) I did find out that these 8x32's are an ounce lighter than the Swaro EL 8x32's. I hope to find out FOV, eye relief and price soon.

Cheers

I have to ask: what abouth the Zeiss 7x42s?

(it's good to see you posting)

AP,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I must have missed your post. I still have the 7x42 FLs that I bought last summer from Doug (CLNY). I also managed to pick up another pair at a steal of a price from the local Cabelas. They are my two primary bins with the little 8x30 Conquest being my more compact model.

Oleaf,

As always, I am eager to hear more about those 8x32 Meoptas. All I want to see is a FOV of around 440 or so.... ;).

I've been keeping an eye out for these, but still have not seen them in stock anywhere, yet.
Finally lost patience, and have called BH Photo and Eagle Optics this morning, but noone knew anything except that they were "out of stock", and did not know when to expect them.
Anyway, here is a link for anyone who hasn't seen the specs:
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5345

Cabela's also has them listed, but you get a message that they're backordered when you put them in your shopping cart.

Actually, having just reread all the reviews at Cabela's, and seeing them referred to over and over as being equal to Swarovski SLC and ELs of the same power(and those being the most impressive binoculars I've personally looked through), I've about talked myself into ordering the 10x42 model.
The Cabela's labeled "Euro" version is on sale for $749 with free harness, lens pen, and shipping, and I recently got a $500 Visa gift card from my work, and $270 back from a friend that I hadn't even thought about, so they'd be "free"!
I think I'd get a lot more use from those 8x32s, though, if they were noticeably better than my Pentax SPs. The specs look great.

According to Meopta, the 8x32 is expected to reach the market around the end of September. "More compact, and lighter than the 8x32 EL" the rep reminded me, along with the implication of similar optics(I implied, he agreed with).

Very nice specs, 20 oz is about right for weight.

Should any of my family memebers want to give me a pair when I trurn 55, I would promise not to talk about Swarovskis to them anymore.

FWIW, I contacted one of the nice folks at Meopta about getting a specimen of the 8x32 as soon as they are available. At the time (about three months ago) the rumor was late June for their arrival. Obviously the production date was pushed back. September isn't that far away now though....;)

By the way, the prediction is that people will really go gaga over the newest Nikon 8x32 whenever it comes out. $1700.

By the way, the prediction is that people will really go gaga over the newest Nikon 8x32 whenever it comes out. $1700.

Tero,
"go gaga" is a typo, right? You really meant to say "gag" (when they see the 1700 dollar price!) didn't you?:eek!:
Bob

Sadly, I must say that many of these new high-end bins are going way over my budget no matter what type of finnagling I would do.

The Meoptas are looking more and more attractive when you start considering their performance (similarities to the Swaro SLCs for example) versus price (probably around $750 if I had to take a guess).

No doubt! ALL of the high end stuff is really beyond my budget from a practical perspective. Luckily this binocular craze hit me at a time when I was a little flush, but I can't spend this kind of money on a regular basis. I get a lot of enjoyment from my binoculars, and use a couple daily, but I'm not a serious birder, serious hunter, or anything else that really necessitates or even favors premium optics. I have what I need, and then some, so it's pure want. I was willing to spend the money for one Swarovski, and that would have been the end for me. No looking for the next best thing to come along, or anything like that. The fact that I'm happy with the Meopta 10x42(which actually filled a niche), and hopefully will be with the 8x32(that I don't need at all), and can get both for the price of that Swaro means I'm willing to do it, this once.
These will hopefully last me for many, many years until at some point in the future I might look at the then-current offerings, and find a dramatic improvement that makes me willing to spend the money. For now, though, I'll have to settle for getting the very best that I can afford, and being satisfied with it.

Owen,

If you do ever develop a problem with your bin I can honestly say that the service you receive will be top-notch. In my dealings with them they have gone above and beyond to help one of their customers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back