• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus in the North Sea (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
On 4 August 2018 three Phylloscopus warblers appeared on our cruise ship in the North Sea on our way from Scotland to Amsterdam. I have provisionally identified them as Willow Warblers. I've sorted them as follows Bird A quite bright yellow with yellow color extending to the belly. Bird B is duller with browner back, yellow confined to the throat and a strong pale stripe on the side of the neck. Bird C is very dull with no yellow on the throat and only a tinge of yellow on the sides of the breast.

This is my first encounter with Willow Warblers and would like to make sure that I have them right and would also appreciate any explanation for the extreme variation in these three birds. Photos attached of A, B and C. Additional photos available if needed.

Incidentally this flock included a Sedge Warbler.

Attachments

• WillowWarblerDSCN2117.jpg
    WillowWarblerDSCN2117.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 185
  • WillowWarblerDSCN2062.jpg
    WillowWarblerDSCN2062.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 225
  • WillowWarblerDSCN2116.jpg
    WillowWarblerDSCN2116.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
jmorlan hi, they are somewhat variable across the cline, ranging from yellowy (normally Imm.) to tan, olivey green and shades of brown.

Here's an extreme variant taken in London May 8th 2004.(presumed from the far East! a very unusual individual.

Cheers

Attachments

• Yak.3%20side-on%20with%20head%20turned%20facing[1] (2).jpg
    Yak.3%20side-on%20with%20head%20turned%20facing[1] (2).jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 386
On 4 August 2018 three Phylloscopus warblers appeared on our cruise ship in the North Sea on our way from Scotland to Amsterdam. I have provisionally identified them as Willow Warblers. I've sorted them as follows Bird A quite bright yellow with yellow color extending to the belly. Bird B is duller with browner back, yellow confined to the throat and a strong pale stripe on the side of the neck. Bird C is very dull with no yellow on the throat and only a tinge of yellow on the sides of the breast.

This is my first encounter with Willow Warblers and would like to make sure that I have them right and would also appreciate any explanation for the extreme variation in these three birds. Photos attached of A, B and C. Additional photos available if needed.

Incidentally this flock included a Sedge Warbler.

bird no. 2 is an chiffchaff

Bird number 2 appears to have quite long PP and no emargination on P6, which makes it a willow warbler. The strong face pattern (in particular the dark eyestripe) and bright yellow underparts also fit willow warbler much better.

Might be interesting to know how many birds might have been involved in this fall?
Also the composition of species, whether they joined the ship during the day, or first seen “early am”....fascinating stuff! :t:

Cheers

Might be interesting to know how many birds might have been involved in this fall?
Also the composition of species, whether they joined the ship during the day, or first seen “early am”....fascinating stuff! :t:Cheers
As far as I could determine, there were only four individual birds; these three and one Sedge Warbler. They were not present on 3 August when there was dense fog. I first noted them in the morning of 4 August when the fog cleared leaving overcast skies and almost no wind. By the end of the day only the Sedge Warbler was left. I believe they all arrived on the ship (possibly attracted by lights) at night. The next night we arrived in Amsterdam.

All four birds were feasting on Silver Y moths (Autographa gamma) which also arrived on the ship the same day, also evidently on some migration transit.

An eBird list is at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47660128 It includes photos of the Sedge Warbler.

Last edited:
As far as I could determine, there were only four individual birds; these three and one Sedge Warbler. They were not present on 3 August when there was dense fog. I first noted them in the morning of 4 August when the fog cleared leaving overcast skies and almost no wind. By the end of the day only the Sedge Warbler was left. I believe they all arrived on the ship (possibly attracted by lights) at night. The next night we arrived in Amsterdam.

All four birds were feasting on Silver Y moths (Autographa gamma) which also arrived on the ship the same day, also evidently on some migration transit.

An eBird list is at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47660128 It includes photos of the Sedge Warbler.

Huge amounts of Silver Y here in Russia, every flower seems to have a moth on it.

So, the central bird (B) is not readily identifiable by the replies posted. Can you put up a couple more of this individual so it can hopefully be concluded. It does have paler toes but I have seen a dark legged Chiffchaff with very bright feet - it had a standard call which confirmed its identity. Thanks, very interesting account.
Pat

So, the central bird (B) is not readily identifiable by the replies posted. Can you put up a couple more of this individual so it can hopefully be concluded. It does have paler toes but I have seen a dark legged Chiffchaff with very bright feet - it had a standard call which confirmed its identity. Thanks, very interesting account. Pat
Here is another photo of bird B.

Attachments

• WillowWarblerDSCN2161.jpg
    WillowWarblerDSCN2161.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 85

Was it a large “well lit” cruise ship, as this sometimes attracts disoriented migrants?

Cheers

It was the Princendam which is the smallest ship in the Holland America fleet. The birds spent most of their time in in the stern around the Sea View Pool and Bar (deck 9) with occasional forays to the Sports Deck (deck 12).

Thanks to all for the confirmation. Now that we have agreement on the species, is it possible to age these birds or assign them to subspecies? I think bird A is probably an immature. But could bird B be an adult? Could bird C be P. t. acredula.

C looks quite acredula like, but it’s not possible to ID these things with any certainty. Birds A and B are 1cy birds. Less sure about C.

Birds can be attracted to boats by bright lights, but I’m intrigued by what you said about clearing fog. In my experience in the central North Sea, in the day time, thick fog that cleared often led to the appearance of migrants on board.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back