• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To the land of ''Great Rares''.....North by North West. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Prior to our 7.30am departure Sunday 21st July, a Jersey Tiger in the ''pot'' and a Sprawk interacting aggressively with a Common Buzzard (never seen these two in contention before) over the house...might just be a good start to our planned 6 day break to Shropshire and Llandudno. It was a relatively clear run (c2.5 hours) to Bridgnorth, Shrops where we eventually stopped for coffee, before ambling down, from high to low town by the Severn. It was here where I had some contentious ''Gulls with Yellow legs'' (the saga of which can be read on Q&A).

Moving on, I was soon rewarded with an ''age-tick!'' only ever seen adults afore, and much less so in recent years.....Juv.Bullfinch! That was most unexpected, and kinda wrapped up the day, ornithologically speaking, before checking into our accommodation, early dinner and bed.

The following day (Monday) headed for Church Stretton, one of our favourite places! scenically superb!...a bit like a mini Glen Coe in the Welsh Marches. Looking at the National Trust ''day report board'' on arrival, I noted Merlin and Hobby had been in evidence recently. Try as I might, I never connected with these aerial attractions, although distant Curlew ''borne on the slight breeze'', with overhead back-up of Buzzard, Kestrel and House Martin would have to suffice, however a slice of Barra cake and a pot of tea for two on the NT roof terrace was more than compensation, not to mention the stunning scenery!

Tuesday am, an early start to ''The Land of (somebody else's :-O) Fathers'' ensued....hitting the road and clearing breakfast by 8am, a bit of road works delayed our arrival somewhat (c2 hrs.+) journey time, although a Red Kite en-route was duly noted as another portent to our destination.
As a (bloody big) birding area, Wales has contributed I suspect...probably the greatest number of ''outstanding'' birds than any other region for moi! others will beg to differ no doubt...so be it.

Checking into the accommodation and being greeted by 18 degrees Fahrenheit, grey skies, and just a trickle of short drizzle...was pure unadulterated heaven after temperatures of 28 degrees further South in Shrops....also Green Grass :eek!: plus two non contentious Imm.Med.Gulls from the hotel window. Things were certainly looking up...and so was the temperature.

To be continued.

Attachments

• P1750395.jpeg   JT2..jpeg
    P1750395.jpeg JT2..jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 31
  • P1750359.jpeg   Sprawk Buzby 8..jpeg
    P1750359.jpeg Sprawk Buzby 8..jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 38
  • P1750526.jpeg   Med Gull 103.jpeg
    P1750526.jpeg Med Gull 103.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 46
  • P1750393.jpeg   JT3..jpeg
    P1750393.jpeg JT3..jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 23
  • P1750463.jpeg   Juv.Bully.jpeg
    P1750463.jpeg Juv.Bully.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Wednesday July 23rd dawned with some light cloud and a big yellow duster in the blue, could feel the temperature climbing slightly. We decided to walk round the Great Orme, once replete with breakfast, we headed out to the cliff road which circumnavigates the entire headland. Much loved by cyclists, Continental and home grown alike as it's ''virtually'' traffic free (I think the toll charge might be relevant here ;)) Unfortunately we were told at the gate house that access from the road was being temporarily curtailed, due to a rock fall on the Western side, and that the only way up...was over the spine. Thus we duly started the climb ''inland'' and what a wondrous route it was.

Once getting close to the top, picking up en-route ''honking'' Raven, the odd Mipit and a family party of Chiffys, we passed the ''alive'' cemetery which held a social gathering of Stonechat c6, plus a few Pied Wags, Goldfinch, Wren, Blackbird, Magpie, Swallow and Greenfinch...certainly not dead by any stretch of the imagination! Our objective was the ''Rest and be Thankful'' café at edge of cliff and road, circa half way round the headland! (open all year round). Just as we spotted the roof of the café (we were looking down on) and trying to navigate along narrow sheep paths to access the much needed caffeine injection...the sound of a piston engine plane broke the silence!...a glance up, revealed a bright ''yellow'' US WW2 plane. Not exactly high on my expectations agenda! Swinging around with camera..I got off a couple of sub-standard shots before it vanished into the blue. (not unlike the forthcoming coffee). :-O

On the return leg (c6 miles round trip) as we stepped out the café Chough appeared on the cliff edge!...a Great Orme speciality, unfortunately just the one shot before dropping down over the cliff! (the bird not us :-O) We then retraced our steps, eventually accessing the cliff road prior to the ''verbotten'' sign, which led down to the amusement pier, it was here, that I espied a blurred movement on the red Valarian....that morphed into Hummingbird Hawkmoth. Seen before on a previous visit but not on my ''days radar''. Certainly a big plus on the days events, and I duly opened up with my shutter release, needless to say I was very pleased with the results, especially on the back of the yellow Harvard Texan shots.

Back to the Hotel, a wash and brush-up, and contemplating Thursday's trip to Beaumaris (Anglesey) and Puffin Island...over dinner.

To be continued....

Attachments

• P1760061.jpeg    Orme Stncht.grey 2..jpeg
    P1760061.jpeg Orme Stncht.grey 2..jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 18
  • P1750574.jpeg  P1..jpeg
    P1750574.jpeg P1..jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 30
  • P1750583.jpeg   Chough 102..jpeg
    P1750583.jpeg Chough 102..jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 32
  • P1750570.jpeg    Harvard Texan.jpeg
    P1750570.jpeg Harvard Texan.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 39
  • P1750631.jpeg  HumHawk106.jpeg
    P1750631.jpeg HumHawk106.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 38
Wednesday 24th July....arrived at Beaumaris just after 10am (45 min.drive from Llandudno), lots of people milling around and I wondered, if we were too late for booking the boat, as luck would have it we got two seats for the 12.30 sailing, duration (1hr.15m) cost £9.95 return each. With circa 2hrs.to kill, my attention was arrested by a flock of (c30) House Martins looking to tenant an old building opposite the quay, as these offered a photo opportunity, I duly took up the challenge! Watching them 'to and fro' I noticed an adult bird without a tail!...it took me a good hour to get some almost credible shots (not easy).

Boarding the boat and then arriving at the island (c40 mins) we were greeted by ranks of Cormorants and Shags on the Eastern side with the odd Atlantic Seal emerging from the swell to give us all a ''once over''. We slowly ''chugged'' round the Northern tip to the Western side of the island, where several Razorbill and Guillemot morphed into view, also Kittiwakes and the target bird Puffin!! mostly singles and pairs on the water and in the air! I managed to get some decent images, particularly where one was ''walking'' on water!...that being some feet...as we all know. ;)

As anybody knows, taking shots from a moving boat with all the impediments (people moving around, boat canopy and structures, the boat bobbing up and down, not to mention the quarry suddenly appearing on port before disappearing over canopy to starboard...lining up on the trajectory to get it as it reappears the other side....when the guy opposite leaps up, and blankets the subject...A-a-a-g-h! the joys of marine photography.:-O
As we left the island, a lone Gannet looked us up and down (presumably a Grassholm bird?) and made several close passes, probably thinking that's a lot of fishermen on that boat...might be some hand-outs. :-O

To be continued....

Attachments

• P1750728.jpeg   No tailed House Martin 106..jpg
    P1750728.jpeg No tailed House Martin 106..jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 31
  • P1750843.jpeg  Guillemot 04.jpeg
    P1750843.jpeg Guillemot 04.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 29
  • P1750826.jpeg  Puffin walking on water.jpeg
    P1750826.jpeg Puffin walking on water.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P1750827.jpeg  Puffin taking off.jpeg
    P1750827.jpeg Puffin taking off.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 42
  • P1750817.jpeg   Pufin into the blue 9.jpeg
    P1750817.jpeg Pufin into the blue 9.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 29
Great report Ken (as always!) and some lovely photos! One small (aviational) point of order:

The North American Aviation trainer you shot was known as the Texan by the Americans and the Harvard by the RAF (and other Commonwealth airforces)! I had the pleasure of seeing several at the Imperial War Museum Duxford a couple of weeks ago in the company of my Dad who learnt to fly in one (a Harvard!)

Keep it coming Mate!

Chris

Great report Ken (as always!) and some lovely photos! One small (aviational) point of order:

The North American Aviation trainer you shot was known as the Texan by the Americans and the Harvard by the RAF (and other Commonwealth airforces)! I had the pleasure of seeing several at the Imperial War Museum Duxford a couple of weeks ago in the company of my Dad who learnt to fly in one (a Harvard!)

Keep it coming Mate!

Chris

Thanks Chris!....:t:

Nice to read a report about what is my doorstep! I sometimes forget how lucky I am, especially at this time of year when most activity is at a low ebb. Did you get in touch with MJN?

Nice to read a report about what is my doorstep! I sometimes forget how lucky I am, especially at this time of year when most activity is at a low ebb. Did you get in touch with MJN?

Thanks Dave!....No I didn't get in touch with Mike (not wishing to impose) with no notice on such an impromptu visit, we've pencilled in a trip during October (all things x'd) and will definitely knock his door down for "a cuppa" then!

You're right about where you live Dave....If I lived there I'd use the Orme as a workout, at least twice/three times a week during migration, methinks there's enough cover to "cloak..many a stray extra-limital. :t:

Thursday 25th July was a more leisurely affair, basically a later rise, promenade, pier, coffee, then ice cream...followed by Tea and Barra whilst watching the world at play. Still scanning for more Med Gulls alas to no avail!
Still...a couple of flyby calling Curlew, and a party of 6 Sandwich Terns fishing the bay, plus the regular half dozen Black-headed Gulls totally outnumbered by triple digit Herrings...All flycatching high over the promenade, when the swirling mass of Larus argentatus were suddenly joined by almost equal numbers of C.ridibundus. Must be a lot of protein in flying ants at hatch time to attract so many gulls. :eek!:

Friday 26th July an early start!...Bills settled and out the door by 8.30 am, another trip to the ''Rest and be thankful'' a good ''uphill workout'' was required before the c4+hours drive (on yer butt) journey, beckoning back to an even warmer N.E.London! On this last occasion, the ''custodians'' of the road gatehouse had relaxed the ''non access'', providing we agreed not to venture passed the Café, as the rock-fall had taken place on the Western side of the headland. After I gave her my scouts honour two fingered salute, we set forth in a Westerly direction, only this time we could take in the scenic delights of the cliff road.

A sudden movement on high, produced two Peregrines ''playing the up-draughts'' of the Orme, before skittling down to being lost over the high rock buttresses beyond. As we passed a party of rock climbers scaling the heights, we became aware of nesting Fulmars on the horizontal rock stratas, with one lone bird launching into the void, just before being captured in my viewfinder! Scanning the tops a lone Buzzard appeared just as briefly...as it disappeared! then over the cragline a ''you've goat to be kidding'' moment, quickly snapped for posterity. ;) Onward and upward we strode (yes it was hot)...but with an occasional breeze to temper the heat. One last stop before the ''final ascent'' to the café, as we peered down onto ledged cliff faces...holding Shag, Cormorant, Kittiwake and the odd Razorbill, we espied another Peregrine sitting up on grassy knoll...no doubt being spoilt for choice regarding the menu. ;) Finally getting to the café, we'd earnt our spoils! and duly took them, before the long walk back to Llandudno, the car, and the road accident on the M1, which added another hour to the journey home. :-C

Cheers

Attachments

• P1760014.jpeg   Peregs over the Orme..jpeg
    P1760014.jpeg Peregs over the Orme..jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P1750896.jpeg   Def.HG.jpeg
    P1750896.jpeg Def.HG.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 21
  • P1760058.jpeg   You goat a be Kidding..jpeg
    P1760058.jpeg You goat a be Kidding..jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 17
  • P1760067.jpeg    Grey sheep of the family.jpg
    P1760067.jpeg Grey sheep of the family.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 21
  • P1760055.jpeg   Fulmar Petrel 10..jpeg
    P1760055.jpeg Fulmar Petrel 10..jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Nice one Ken.
Pleased to see that your trip was successful. The Choughs are regular on the Orme these days and a couple of pairs are breeding there.
You really should have given me a shout, we could have met for a catch up.
Mike.

Nice one Ken.
Pleased to see that your trip was successful. The Choughs are regular on the Orme these days and a couple of pairs are breeding there.
You really should have given me a shout, we could have met for a catch up.
Mike.

Cheers Mike! If we don’t make it in October, possibly year end for the elusive DB...or failing that!...the usual site in Spring?

Cheers Ken.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back