• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Tail Eagles at Portree (1 Viewer)

GlynH

Hi
I will be staying on the isle of Skye from 11th July for a weeks holiday. Does anyone know if the sea eagles have been succesfull this year at Portree. I am looking forward to a couple of boat trips to view and photograph them.
Its usually better if they are rearing young as they require more food and are more likely to respond to the fish when the boat starts chumming.
Also as this is my first time there, can anyone make any suggestions on where to visit for birding and what i can hope to see.
Best regards Glyn.

I took the boat trip out of Portee on May 21 and the boatman knew where to go for us to see the White-tailed Eagles. The male WTE was not interested at first when the fish was thrown from the boat (the "tame" Cormorant was fed first) but as soon as a gull picked the fish out of the sea then the Eagle swooped and chaced the gull until it dropped the fish. I presume by now the boatman would know if the Eagles have been successful this year. I saw Twite in several places this year on Skye. What do you hope to see Glyn. Roger

I also took the boat out of Portree and saw the Sea Eagle.
The boat was the Brigadoon and was £4 cheaper than the other trips.
If you listen to the guy selling tickets for the other trips you would think that you would not make it back alive,but it was perfectly alright with all safety devices on board and a very knowledgable and friendly skipper.
Golden Eagles on the Quirang,A solitary Whooper Swan at Duntulm,Kittiwakes,Guillimots and Fulmars at Niest Point.Eider ducks at Staffin Bay.
A good day out is the small Island Ferry from Armordale which takes in Malaig.Eigg,Rhum and Canna and gives you a good chance to see Dolphins,Porpoise,Guillimots,Eider Duck and Seals,good value at £20.this particular trip is only on Mondays,they do other trips on other days.

Hi
Thanks for the replies. Im looking forward to seeing the White Tailed Eagle, and hoping for a Golden Eagle. Also hoping to see Otter and pine Martin if they are on the island. Any type of shore bird would be a welcome addition.

Have a look for a new edition of Skye Birds by R L (Bob) McMillan which has full information on all the island's species together with a section on the best places to birdwatch. Available from the Skye Birds website

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back