• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley/Holt (1 Viewer)

StarainBoy

A good number of gadwalls at the New Workings today made a lone female pintail easy to overlook. Fortunately, it was standing out, preening, so the grey leg colour added to the grey bill made identification a cinch. Structurally the species always demands a second look anyway with that slender, almost greyhound profile to the head.

Only my second record of this duck for Worcestershire compensated for dipping on the glossy ibis, which was north when I was south; and then we switched directions.

hey got the glossy ibis this mourning,went to the pub first but soon recieved news it was at wagon wheel lane so we(me my dad and a birding couple from shropshire) headed down there in a convoy system,parked up,and walked 2wards the river the twitch was easy to see and the bird shown well although a bit far away for decent shots,but got some record shots and a film of it in flight
also had 3 pintail and 69 wigeon,
and a male peregrine,swooped on the ibis coming within inches of taking the bird out forcing it into the water in a flock of wigeon,the peregrine then landed in a nearby tree briefly before flying east,never seen a peregrine tackle something that big before.

but nice to get this life tick and meet some familar faces.
MB

hey got the glossy ibis this mourning,went to the pub first but soon recieved news it was at wagon wheel lane so we(me my dad and a birding couple from shropshire) headed down there in a convoy system,parked up,and walked 2wards the river the twitch was easy to see and the bird shown well although a bit far away for decent shots,but got some record shots and a film of it in flight
also had 3 pintail and 69 wigeon,
and a male peregrine,swooped on the ibis coming within inches of taking the bird out forcing it into the water in a flock of wigeon,the peregrine then landed in a nearby tree briefly before flying east,never seen a peregrine tackle something that big before.

but nice to get this life tick and meet some familar faces.
MB

Can't wait for your 200th species. Any guesses?

Hi MB
Save your 200th for your prediction at upton - Wryneck mind you it won't be until the spring mind you at this rate it could be 250th
cherrs John

:-O
im not looking away when a lifer seen,although i wouldent mind winning the bet,and starinboy your bets on the ibis isnt it just a few more days and there he will be(at the flashes btw):t:
MB

The Wednesday Crew covered a great deal of the Holt/Grimley area yesterday while the glossy ibis lurked on the other bank of the Severn. My second failure. Still, we managed to pick a couple of pink-footed geese out of a flock of about a thousand Canadas.

Well, I say a thousand but estimates varied from an initial couple of hundred up to my figure of 1,000. In any case, it showed that this business of counting flocks invariably reveals considerably more individuals than the first gut reaction. So, we had the occasional flock of 50+ skylarks, 20 or so meadow pipits and God knows how many redwings throughout the day.

The Wednesday Crew covered a great deal of the Holt/Grimley area yesterday while the glossy ibis lurked on the other bank of the Severn. My second failure. Still, we managed to pick a couple of pink-footed geese out of a flock of about a thousand Canadas.

Well, I say a thousand but estimates varied from an initial couple of hundred up to my figure of 1,000. In any case, it showed that this business of counting flocks invariably reveals considerably more individuals than the first gut reaction. So, we had the occasional flock of 50+ skylarks, 20 or so meadow pipits and God knows how many redwings throughout the day.

sorry for your repeat dip starinboy,
hope you get it soon:t:
MB

Had a walk up the River Severn at Holt Fleet this afternoon and had cracking views of the Glossy Ibis. Watched it in flight twice and feeding on the ground. The sunlight was good and brought out the colour of its plumage well. Also a Common Sandpiper was nearby. Two Buzzards were seen being mobbed by Crows and 10 Cormorant flying in a V shape were following the course of the river.

Well pleased to have caught up with the Ibis.

Dean

Happy Birding

I wonder if any of you could give me some help on the Ibis?
Birdguides say it is east of the river 800m south of Holt Bridge - is it best to take the riverside path east of the river or the footpath from the pub towards holt?

I walked down from the pub (it looks a little odd and private almost but it isn't), go through the gap between the two buildings of the old pub and turn left, following the path. I think it is about the 3rd large field down from there (with the river on your right).There is patch of reeds and marsh in the left hand side/corner of the 3rd field (small copse behind it), the ibis is frequenting there. Hopefully someone else can give you better directions!!!

Thanks for the info.
I had a look at the map, it seems that the path from the pub runs to the west of the river so I couldn't understand which side of the river to walk.
It has been reported as present again today. I will give it a go this week.

Thanks for the info.
I had a look at the map, it seems that the path from the pub runs to the west of the river so I couldn't understand which side of the river to walk.
It has been reported as present again today. I will give it a go this week.

Go down the steps that are on the bridge(marked public footpath i think) these take you down between the bridge and a cottage,go under the bridge and follow the dirt path(which is marked with arrows)follow the river past the pub over one or two fields,keep looking left away from the river,when you see a big white house on the hill and a grass slope coming down into the field,it's in the next field,walk half way down and look away from the river to a marsh(it's about 150 yards away).I parked on a bit of wasteground about 30 yards from the bridge and had no problems(it was there at noon today)good luck

I managed some half decent shots of the glossy ibis today, as can be seen on my gallery (linked below).

A beautiful bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back