• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Nature series revisited..... (1 Viewer)

FrankD

Many of you will remember the discussion that focused around the fairly new Celestron Nature series from last summer. For those of you that don't remember it or weren't a part of it the Celestron Nature porro series was a replacement for the Celestron Ultima DX in many regards. I did own the 8x32 DX (actually several units of it) and was impressed by the overall optical performance for the price.

The Nature series, in my opinion, picked up where the Ultima DX left off. The 8x30 Nature porro performs at the same optical level but with the added benefit of being more compact and noticeably lighter. It is very much a dead ringer for the Leupold Yosemite and Eagle Optics Raptor models. Several individuals who purchased them were favorably impressed with the overall package that these binoculars provide. The icing on the proverbial cake though was the price that they are selling for....around $50 US. That price range has typically been reserved for many of the "plastic wrapper" models that one can purchase at "x-mart". Rarely did one find a solid performer at this price point.

Justifiable complaints about the binoculars quality control level did surface. At this price point one has to expect that they will. Since that time little has been mentioned about this model. Now seemed like a good time to change that.

Well, I have been out of the optics-comparison arena for a good 8-10 months. Circumstances have changed as of late and I had the opportunity to pick up another 8x30 Nature to utilize. I have been using it for the last few weeks and I am, again, impressed by the bins optical performance. The particular unit I have in my possession does not suffer from any quality control issues. Even the little orange "Celestron" sticker has stayed attached to the binocular housing. Call it luck that I have ended up with two satisfactory units.

So, after some time and thought I decided to do a little internet surfing to find out if any other experiences had been shared here or on other optic review sites. In the process I "discovered" several of the other configurations of this model currently for sale. Being a large fan of the 8x42 format I decided to order the 8x42 porro. It arrived two days ago and I have been using it extensively since.

The 8x42 model shares some similarities with the 8x30. The image quality is comparable in terms of the apparent sharpness, low level of CA and overall brightness. It differs in the level of edge sharpness and the field of view. The 8x42 offers an "average" field of view of around 7 degrees (367 feet) for a full-size 8x42 binocular. The 8x30 is listed at 430 feet.

Edge performance is better on the 8x42. Edge distortion is still there but it is not as pronounced and over a smaller percentage of the field of view. This most likely is the result of the narrower field of view/field stop.

Physically the 8x42 is significantly larger than the 8x30 model both in terms of dimensions and weight (31 oz). To put it in comparative terms it is about the same size and weight as that of the Bushnell Legend 8x42 porro. Overall performance is very similar to that model with the exception being the narrower field of view. It is a large 8x42 porro from a handling perspective but then that does allow me to hold it very steady (I have large hands).

Again, the icing on the cake is the price. It is priced at the same price as the 8x30 ($55 at several places online). Considering its optical performance I would certainly recommend it. It does compete directly with the likes of the Bushnell Legend porro, the Orion porro and the Nikon Action EX but at better than half the price.

I will see if I can post some side by side pics of both units when I have the time later.

I feel the need to again comment on the little Nature 8x30. I just had it out on a nice beach excursion in NJ today. It performed flawlessly and provided superb image quality over a good 75% of the field of view. The images were extremely sharp, bright and filled with color. For the small sum of $50 this binocular seems like such a no-brainer to own. Considering the price as well I wasn't too worried about sand or saltwater contact should the event have occurred.

Frank,

If I didn't already have a Leupold Yosemite 8x30 porro (original offering with NWTF logo and earth tone) , I'd be all over these :)

I can understand your decision Bob. I would probably do the same. Keep in mind, if you know someone that is interested in an inexpensive, high performance bin, that these actually have a listed wider field of view than the Yosemite plus, accordng to Henry, these are actually more like a 7x30 which is probably why I enjoy the overall performance so much. Just some things to think about.

Just received a pair of 8x30 celestron nature porros and I am very pleasantly surprised indeed, in fact these are way way better than I hoped they'd be even after reading various threads on birdforum praising them.
For £38.50 I appear to have got myself a bino that for me clearly outperforms the hawke frontier ED 8x43 I recently sold in terms of resolution and contrast.
To my eyes there is almost nothing to seperate the centre sharpness from the opticron HRWP porros, the opticrons are just a smidgen sharper possibly, just possibly. I'm betting these are therefore also rather close to the nikon EII and SE.
As others have mentioned the celestron sticky label fell off instantly and the focuser is quite stiff and lumpy, but seems to be easing up already. For less than £40 these are just phenomenal.

Last edited:
MO,

Glad to see that you are enjoying these binoculars. I think they haven't received have of the recognition that they deserve. I do believe quality control is probably the primary issue based on past comments on this thread and in the one comparative review I have seen of them.

I do find your comments about their optical quality in comparison to the Hawke Frontier EDs interesting but I do believe I understand where you are coming from. These simple little porros provide a very color neutral, 3 dimensional image with very little color fringing. Looking at the image from that perspective I would agree that they would probably better the Frontier EDs. From what I remember of the Hawkes they were probably comparable to the Celestrons in the area of color fringing control but in the other two areas it is hard for them to compete. On the other hand the size of the apparent field of view of the Hawke's was very good from what I remember. Short of that I cannot think of much that would favor the Hawkes.

On a related note I did just purchase a pair of them for my former father-in-law. His Celestron Ultima DX 8x32s had to go in for a realignment and he was in need of something to use until they came back. The Natures seemed like a logical solution especially for the price. He was extremely impressed with them and happily used them on a camping trip this past week.

Have fun with another one of those "best kept secrets" of the binocular market.

Hi Frank,
Out and about with the celestrons yesterday I did notice more stray light than I am used to, and the focus is still kind of crunchy, but I'm so enjoying their wide field of view and light weight, they dont have quite the luminous image quality of the 8x42 HRWP's ( hard to describe this, nothing to do with the extra brightness of the HRWP) but I really dont feel I'm missing any detail at all in comparison and the wide FOV does make me realise how narrow the HRWP is.
I was about to order some zen ray ED2 7x36 but wonder whether its worth it now as the celestrons are so good.

MO,

Are the HRWPs an Opticron internal focus porro prism model?

If so then I do believe I owned the US version of it in the Leupold Cascade porro as well as the Minox BD BP. Both were excellent binoculars. I would love to have another pair of those Cascades but they are very hard to find now that they have been discontinued.

I do believe that the Zen Ray 7x36s would still be a good purchase. They offer an entirely different view than the 8x30 Natures. You will be impressed by them....and, if you aren't, then Zen Ray (and most of the retailers that carry Zen Ray) have a generous return policy.

Yep they are the internal focus porro, from what I've read exactly the same as the Leupold cascades.

I was out till dusk with the 8x30 natures yesterday and didn't really notice them being any less bright than the HRWP's and incredibly they really are just as pin sharp as them too.

When I got the hawke ED's a little while after the HRWP's I was rather disappointed that, although they were by far the best roof I'd owned, they still didn't have that eye popping pin sharp image of the HRWP. I concluded that I would have to spend a lot more money to get a bino with a comparably pin sharp image combined with a wide FOV (that the HRWP lack).

Rather shockingly I now find that going in the exact opposite direction and spending less than £ 40 has got me the result I was after.

I don't think this is simply to do with them being porros either as I've owned three other porros ( RSPB 8x40, opticron minerva 8x30 and bushnell natureview plus 8x42 ) that were not near as good as the 8x30 natures.

They are not perfect however, there is something not quite as easy on the eye and relaxing to use as the HRWP ( cant quite put my finger on what exactly, maybe just the eyecup design ) and that focus is still a little finicky, but overall really an astonishing purchase!

As for the zen 7x36, I'm still seriously thinking about them, I did really like the Hawke ED 8x43 but found them a bit long in the hand and not so comfortable to hold, I know the zen's are still pretty much full size but I'm hoping that they will be just that little bit more compact. Plus the 7 x magnification with its ( so I've read) porro like depth of field appeals to me. Also really really tempted by those cute Bushnell elite 7x26's. Hmmm.

Oh my, I feel a bino obsession coming on!

Just for the record I should probably temper slightly my earlier enthusiasm for the nature 8x30's by saying that having used them exclusively for a week or so and then switching back to the opticron HRWP (cascade porro) yesterday, the superior optical quality of the HRWP is on balance quite obvious.
Nevertheless, the celestron's are still completely marvelous for the money and indeed not far off in sharpness and contrast from the HRWP as far as my eyes can tell.
Was just a bit worried that my previous comments might be a little misleading to potential buyers of the celestrons who might then be disappointed in them.
I know myself from browsing endless threads like this prior to a purchase just how much influence peoples comments and opinions can have.

MO,

I don't think your comments were that far off. We all have that initial enthusiasm towards an optics purchase that exceeds our expectations. The little Celestron Nature porro is certainly a good buy assuming there aren't any quality control issues. Its nearest competition is the Leupold Yosemite and it is priced about $40 more the last time I checked.

I continue to be super impressed by this bino. For example I recently picked up a cheap pair of 10x42 Bushnell natureview porros, these usually retail in the UK at between £100- £150, quite a bit more than the celestrons, now I know you cant really compare directly a 10x to an 8 x ( I know the celestron is actually closer to 7) but oh my the celestrons are just optically on another planet compared to the bushnells! I cant even begin to say how much nicer they are for birding. The 10x of the bushnell has absolutely zero advantage in picking up detail at any distance without the clarity and brightness of the celestron.

The only real issue with the celestrons optically is stray light, sometimes its quite bad and spoils the show somewhat, just have to remind myself this is a £40 bino though!

Have just ordered some zen ray ED2 7x36's, will be interesting to see how they compare to the celestron and the HRWP's.

Last edited:
Because of this thread, I bought a pair of the Celestron Nature 8X30. I am extremely happy with the performance.

One thing I noticed that puzzles me; the objective lens reflections are not the same color. One appears green and the other purple. Is this normal? My first thought was that a lens received incomplete anti-reflection treatment (but that seems unlikely in assembly line work.) Or that an element is put in backwards.

Are yours like mine? Is it anything to be concerned over? How do I get it out of my head that they aren't the same?

I think you are onto the right explanation. Uneven distribution of antireflective coatings. My Nature 8x30s did not display this but I have had several other binos that did.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back