• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Couple of hours around Camp Lane pits early pm. Goldeneye 1 m, c60 Shoveler, 6 Wigeon, c30 Gadwall, 8 Pochard, c30 Teal, c30 Pied Wagtails, c120 Fieldfare, c40 Redwing, 3 Oystercatcer, c150 Lapwing, c200 Canada Geese & GC Grebe 2.

Camp lane pits had a good selection of birds including 5 dunlin singing chiffchaff ,first ive heard ,single redpoll very scarce for me this year in any location. wagon wheel and surrounded ,good numbers of wigeon, stonechat on fence , siskins in the alders .Sling pool holt , didnt stay long here as was late for dinner but little ringed plover and green sandpiper showing well even with the recent excavation disturbance, and a long tailed tit building a nest. 59 species seen .

The 3 Garganey (2 drakes) still at Holt on Sling Pool this morning - for 2nd day. Also a Willow Warbler singing at Camp Lane Pits at far SW end yesterday. Spring has finally sprung :t:

Unable to update Worcester Birding website or twitter at the moment.

Brief visit this afternoon. 30+ Sand Martin, 6 Swallow and 3 LRP at CLP. Couldn't see the Garganey at Sling. There was plenty of disturbance from the ongoing work but they could easily have been tucked away somewhere. Green Sand the only bird of note there.

Could someone please give me directions to Sling Pool/ the location of it?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Sling pool off the minor road signposted Holt Church off the main road. There's on obvious set of gates on the left where you can park with care and view Sling Pool/flood from there.

Clp ,5;30 till dark my first swallows of the year, 2 little ringed plovers, and a black tailed godwit which on leaving was roosting on the east shore . Also a possible redshank but it was too dark to be certain .

Quick stop at Holt en-route to Gloucestershire yesterday afternoon - thanks to Phil for the directions.

2 Garganey
1 Snipe
1 Green Sandpiper
1 Black-tailed Godwit (in stunning Summer plumage)
1 Pied Wagtail
Several Lapwings and a flock of Fieldfares

Brief visit early pm.
Sandwich Tern seen on posts & shore on north east side of Camp Lane Pits. Seen at 2:45pm just as I was leaving.
Poor phone scope photo, but you can tell what it is!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 107
Great find Gary and thanks for getting the news out so promptly :t:

Only the 4th record that I'm aware of, the previous three being:

2 over on June 17th 1996 (MJI)

1 lingered during the evening of March 27th 2001 (BRS et al)

1 circled on September 12th 2012 (SPa,JLC,PGB)

Only the two March birds have proved twitchable.

Brian

Yes thanks for getting the news out. My experience was the opposite of yours Gary - I got there just as the bird was leaving!

Great record.

An evening visit in the hope the rain would bring something down didn't disappoint when an Osprey was picked up flying low over Wagon Wheel Lane from the direction of the river. It was heading to Wagon Wheel Lane Pits where it did one circuit and then continued north.

The drake Goldeneye was still at Top Barn Farm, a Green Sand, two Redshanks and a Snipe were at Sling Pool and there were large numbers of Sand Martins with a few Swallows at CLP.

Still good numbers of Shoveler, with at least 50 at CLP and over 60 Gadwalls spread around the pits.

Brian

Had a good few hours at dawn in the sunshine and showers. A total of 60 species!

Highlights were 2 curlew, 6 oystercatchers, redshank, I saw 2 willow warbler, 2 yellow wagtail, and a fly through of a great Black-backed gull! There must have been over 200 sand martins present. I counted 38 shoveler at CLP there were also a few at WWL.

Did not see the LRP or any house martins :-(
and there was non of the excitement of osprey's and sandwich terns that I missed last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back