• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (25 Viewers)

Looks like this coming Sunday could bring the ideal conditions for seawatching on the North Norfolk coast if the winds are North Westerly as per today's latest weather forecast.
Friday morning forecasts saying wind not turning N.W. till late afternoon and not so strong(35mph), may still be worth a short set up mid afternoon though.

Last edited:
16 whoppers flew north over lady fen, Welney WWT, at 16.40 this afternoon, maybe the same flock reported earlier in Linc

Deplorably, I am impelled momentarily to rupture my self-imposed exile. Thank you so much, Tony, for the inspirational & creative opportunity you have afforded:

“This large order of sandwiches (‘Whopper’):
Can it really be quite right & proper ?
They flew over Our Lady ?
His Lordship was feared ’e
’d fall into the Fen - come a cropper !

Was their genre most thoroughly grilled ?
(Tho’, to spot these aloft is so skilled !)
Such airborne fast food –
Whether broiled, or slo-stewed –
Won’t leave one completely fulfilled !

In the air, they did sail above Ellie;
Showing white underparts, wings & belly.
Above Her, they did glide –
As Our Tony them eyed –
Towards Wisbech & its lovely deli.

Or, perhaps, when he glimpsed this ’ere flock –
And, once he’d got over the shock –
They were going far North –
P’raps, right up to The Forth –
And, diverted to ‘tick’ the Bass Rock ?

They were earlier seen over ‘Linc’ –
Did they call into Skeg, for a drink ?
Just imagine that bar:
‘Could we all have a jar ?’
I’m sure it would cause quite a stink !

Now, correctly, this flock is a ‘wedge’:
The shape of a ‘V’, I allege !
But, to explain a ‘bevy’*:
Well, I s’pose they’re quite heavy !
And, more so, after they do fledge !

This was yesterday afternoon;
I hope they’ll be back sometime soon.
And, where’er they did fly,
White & high in the sky,
Once again, they’ll this Wetland festoon.

This was at wet, wet, wet Welney;
To gain access there is not free:
It’s most of 10 Pounds
To view their lakes & grounds –
That’s from www.WWT !”

[* another, supposed, name for a flock of swans]

Attachments

• A Whopper.png
    A Whopper.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Lady Fenn's plaque.jpg
    Lady Fenn's plaque.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 26
Wilson's Petrel west past Cley coastguards this morning per RBA. Who saw that coming.....light northweserlies may have brought an interesting shearwater, some Skuas and a possible Sabine's but this going the "wrong" way? Incredible record if and when it's accepted given that European stormie is still very rare along the Norfolk coast.

Last edited:
From what was reported on social media it appears yesterday's sea watching brought the expected variety of skuas, shearwaters and reports of 3 species of storm petrel plus a Sabine's gull. Now we need some Easterlies please.

My earliest Fieldfares this afternoon, about 1330hrs, for the garden. A loud familiar "chack" heralded a flock of c.100 heading West, just dropped in for a few seconds, and then continued on.

Yep they have started to come in now as well as the Redwings. Saw my first of the year at Wiveton Downs on Sunday at about 11:00 am. Then saw some at my house (nearer Norwich) on Monday at about 8:00 am.

Is anyone else intrigued by today's report of a Turtle Dove in the car park at Titchwell RSPB at dusk? It's an extreme date for Turtle Dove but in the zone for Oriental Turtle Dove. Any information?

Sorry I can be of not much help although if it was at Titchwell there were probably some experienced observers on hand. I have heard of Turtle Doves seen in Norfolk in December back when they were commoner (can't remember where from although maybe someone else will) and in 2016 the latest recorded Turtle Dove was October 12th in Blakeney.

By the way everyone, if you didn't already know the Norfolk Bird and Mammal Report 2017 has been out for about a week now available at Titchwell and probably Cley and other NWT and RSPB reserves.

Immature White Tailed Eagle seen on sea at Weybourne then flew inland over Muckleburgh Hill and Salthouse Heath. Then seen at Broadland Business Park and possibly at Strumpshaw RSPB.

Small group (5) of Grey Partridge in the afternoon sun just near Little Snoring church today. Still hanging on in the county.
No Yellowhammers though, in my nearby village. 5 pairs here when I moved here twenty years ago.

Nice t hear. I can’t remember the last time I saw a grey partridge. And sadly yellowhammers aren’t now a bird that I just “bump into.” They’re not even easy to see in places where i used see them as soon as i arrived. Such a shame.

Lucky enough to still hear quite a few Yellowhammers in the fields surrounding Coltishall. Had around 50 Yellowhammers wintering at 'The Heath' in Horstead last winter.

There was a report on Tuesday 11 Dec of a European Turtle Dove present in a garden at Blakeney for the previous fortnight. The location is shown as at the junction of Kingsway and Langham Road, on the edge of the recreation ground. Does anyone know whether it is twitchable (and whether it has been correctly identified)?

I’m due to be in north Norfolk for a few days next week. I’ve git a few sites and targets lined up and will be paying attention to anything rare turning up but also would also like to have a look for Mealy Redpoll which isn’t a bird that shows up near me, is there anywhere particularly reliable in north Norfolk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back