• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird call, around 3am by the river Deben estuary, Suffolk, UK (1 Viewer)

MRMNW

Hi, sorry if this is against the rules but I'm a sound recordist hoping to ID this bird call, any help would be hugely appreciated! It sounds a little like a Curlew, I'm pretty sure there is a curlew in there too amongst the other birds but it's the other stand out call that I can't identify.

Bird call, around 3am, September 2018 by the river Deben estuary, Suffolk, UK

https://soundcloud.com/mattwaitesfx/bird-id

Many thanks

Yes, unmistakeable, amongst the variety of calls, particularly at 1.18. Whereabouts on the recording is the "stand out" call you're enquiring after?

Difficult to isolate the calls at the times you mention but there is Curlew at those points as well as Grey Plover, Redshank, Mallards not forgetting a distance crowing cockerill towards the end.

No, no....its a Coot making a call that is not too disimilar to a begging call. Sorry for any confusion. As an aside, anything birdy with Semi at the beginning of it is a rarity in the UK eg, sandpiper, plover or flycatcher.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back