• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What new species have you had in your garden (1 Viewer)

The Raptor

Bristol City's No.1 Fan!
I have had a female blackcap & long tailed tits visit my garden recently for the first time. Also a female pied wagtail & a few days later was jioned by a male. Last year had a grey wagtail but only for a few minutes & was amazed to see a grey heron sitting on my garden fence, my next door neighbours have a very small pond which is only a couple of feet wide. Earlier in the year I was surprised to see a chiffchaff.

It would be interesting to know what new species other BF members have had in their gardens.

Rod.

The Raptor said:
I have had a female blackcap & long tailed tits visit my garden recently for the first time. Also a female pied wagtail & a few days later was jioned by a male. Last year had a grey wagtail but only for a few minutes & was amazed to see a grey heron sitting on my garden fence, my next door neighbours have a very small pond which is only a couple of feet wide. Earlier in the year I was surprised to see a chiffchaff.

It would be interesting to know what new species other BF members have had in their gardens.

Rod.

Well done Rod for getting this started! I'll keep the ball rolling with mine:

3 weeks ago I had a grey wagtail for the first time - fleeting visit and not been back again - so SNAP there!

2 weeks ago I had a pied wagtail and now yesterday he returned with a female - the male becoming quite regular - so SNAP again!

Last week I had a chaffinch, then a pair the following day.

A few days ago I had a song thrush - which came again today

Cheers B :)

Deborah

most recent is Hawfinch, which turned up just before Xmas and still here, first new bird for several years.

before that was probably Pied Flycatcher.

Richard W said:
most recent is Hawfinch, which turned up just before Xmas and still here, first new bird for several years.

before that was probably Pied Flycatcher.

There's gonna be a few green members here Richard! :'D
Great news for you though!

;)

been here 13 yrs so new birds are few and far between, but is all the more exciting when they do turn up, have seen some very odd ones over the years, like looking out of my kitchen window one Sunday morning in November and seeing a Water Rail on my lawn |8.|

Richard W said:
;)

been here 13 yrs so new birds are few and far between, but is all the more exciting when they do turn up, have seen some very odd ones over the years, like looking out of my kitchen window one Sunday morning in November and seeing a Water Rail on my lawn |8.|

I can't even find them in reed beds!

Most recent new bird in my garden was a whitethroat which turned up for a couple of days last August, having nested a few hundred metres away.

On the negative side I haven't seen a grey partridge in the garden for over 10 years and they used to be occasional visitors. Their disappearance coincided with a switch from hay to silage production in the surrounding fields (earlier grass cutting).

Recently I've had a sparrowhawk and song thrush. Now you may think a songthrush is common, well in Saudi Arabia it's not.

Having lived in here for less than a year all the birds on my garden list are fairly new! but the most surprising one was a Great White Egret a week or so ago.

Gwynn

We've had a male Blackcap. It visited our garden on and off for about two weeks just before Christmas but I haven't seen it this year. We have lived here since early 2001 and I can only remember one or two Chaffinches in the garden at any given time but over the last few months we have had up to a dozen. Also we now get daily visits from Goldfinch ever since we started to use sunflower hearts in some of the feeders.

Dave

The last new bird seen in the garden is the Common Bullfinch on 30 October last year. Before that, on the 25 October, I found a Brambling groundfeeding with other finches under the sunflower feeder.

New birds for us in the last year have been:

M+F Bullfinch
Mistle Thrush
Goldcrest
Song Thrush (not new but very, very rare)

And a party of around 20 long-tailed tits have been visiting alot more often than normal.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back