Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Siskins and Redpolls appealingly absent this Winter?

Old Saturday 25th January 2020, 11:02   #51
andyadcock

I rarely see Redwings or Fieldfares in my Nottingham garden, in fact I have exactly one sighting of each in 20 years. I only ticked the latter as a garden bird during the 'beast from the East' when birds were pushed in to suburban gardens. These species tend to be much more rural around here.
Old Saturday 25th January 2020, 12:05   #52
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I rarely see Redwings or Fieldfares in my Nottingham garden, in fact I have exactly one sighting of each in 20 years. I only ticked the latter as a garden bird during the 'beast from the East' when birds were pushed in to suburban gardens. These species tend to be much more rural around here.
The only reason I (generally) get Redwing is because of my extensive Ivy/Holly hedges in the garden...they are certainly partial to the berries during the Winter, however once they’re exhausted they tend to target animal matter on the forest floor or playing fields.
Old Saturday 25th January 2020, 12:10   #53
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
The only reason I (generally) get Redwing is because of my extensive Ivy/Holly hedges in the garden...they are certainly partial to the berries during the Winter, however once they’re exhausted they tend to target animal matter on the forest floor or playing fields.
I now have a mental image of assorted small mammals, deer, wild boar and the like fleeing in terror before a marauding force of giant Redwing appearing like cyborgs out of the gloom ...

Old Saturday 25th January 2020, 12:21   #54
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
I now have a mental image of assorted small mammals, deer, wild boar and the like fleeing in terror before a marauding force of giant Redwing appearing like cyborgs out of the gloom ...

I'll have what he's drinking!

John
Old Saturday 25th January 2020, 12:48   #55
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I'll have what he's drinking!

John
At his age he’s probably reaching the “danopause” with hallucination not being an uncommon symptom.....

Old Thursday 30th January 2020, 13:01   #56
Paul Longland

Strangely enough have seen more fieldfares around this year than Redwings, which is the complete reverse of what we normally get. As for Siskin and Redpoll, haven't seen either so far this winter
Old Sunday 2nd February 2020, 20:04   #57
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

VERY mild winter here in central Italy. Despite being halfway up a mountain (850 metres) the temperature today was 12 degrees, with 14 expected tomorrow. Little rain and no snow but LOADS of Siskins - they empty up our feeders in no time at all, chasing away all the other birds. Last year it was mild too, but less so and there were very few Siskins....

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: