• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5 from France (1 Viewer)

Weiss1

Just got back from a trip to Paris and Normandy. Wasn't a birding trip so I didn't bring a guide, could anyone help me ID these?

1. Some sort of treecreeper i guess
2. Yellow sparrow? I have no idea
3. ?
4. Saw this one hovering above a field in Normandy. I have a blurry pic of the top part of its wings if this one doesn't help enough.
5. Long tailed tit?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• france1.jpg
    france1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 153
  • france2.jpg
    france2.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 73
  • france3.jpg
    france3.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 76
  • france4.jpg
    france4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 88
  • france7.jpg
    france7.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 70
(Common) Treecreeper - with this shot you can see the hindclaw, well done!
Greenfinch
female Chaffinch
Kestrel - the hovering's a good pointer too
correct, LT Tit

I guess the treecreeper is very difficult to tell from this photo.

But the lowest (outer-most) of the yellow-beige "ladder-steps" on the primaries seems to be equal in lenght (with the one that lay direct under) and that indicates short-toed as far as i know.

I get a feeling that the bill is long (but feelings is usually nothing to argue for when it comes to this difficult group of birds)

But clearer additional pictures would be great.

i will push the boat out and say the treecreeper is a short toed,
again with the steps in the wing ,eurasian treecreaper shows a right angle in it while short toed shows a larger angle,look at example(sorry if there your photos)
cerfam4482.jpg

View attachment untitled.bmp
this feature is hard to see in the field so most id ing of short toed is done off good photos:t:

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I don't know if it helps with the ID but the treecreeper was found at Pere Lachais Cemetery in Paris.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back