• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

STR Telescope - Reticle System (1 Viewer)

John A Roberts

Australia
In 2015, Omid started a thread inquiring as to how the reticle projection system on the STR telescope works
There were nearly 1,400 views but no replies! (see: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=314386 )

So better late than never . . .

The STR consists of:
A) an objective housing using the STS/ ATS objective and focusing glass

B) with the addition of a rear module containing:
- a primary optical system using a Porro prism pair, and
- additional optics and electronics to project an illuminated reticle onto the image

The reticle is projected into the eyepiece prism (i.e. the one closest to the objective) by using an attached beam splitter
The Swarovski patent indicates that the reticle (referred to as ‘a mask’) is illuminated from behind by a battery powered light source
And the illuminated reticle can be adjusted both for brightness and focus (dioptric correction)

The STR uses the eyepieces of the ATS/ STS telescopes

- - - -
Apart from the basic information on the STR page on Swarovski’s website, the only other information that I’ve found is:
- the STR manual (20 MB in size and downloadable from the STR home page)
- two cross-section images (I downloaded these some time ago, but can no longer locate the source)
- the US patent, and
- a 2014 Fact Sheet by Swarovski

- - - -
For purposes of illustration I’ve attached copies of:
- a page from the manual showing the controls
- the two cross-section images
- an image from the patent showing more of the detail of the reticle components, and
- the specifications from the Fact Sheet

Somewhat alarmingly the Fact Sheet lists the STR’s light transmission at only 75%, compared to the 82 to 86% of the STS/ ATS telescopes (and 86% for the STX/ ATX scopes)
This is presumedly an unavoidable consequence of the addition of the reticle projection technology
Without the additional components, and when using Porro prisms, one would expect higher transmission than that of the regular STS/ ATS units using Schmidt-Pechan roof prisms

There is often a similar problem with transmission levels when manufacturers incorporate laser rangefinder technology into optics
e.g. see the varied transmission graphs for the different brands of rangefinder binoculars in this thread: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=379668

continued . . .

Attachments

• Controls, Instruction Manual.jpg
    Controls, Instruction Manual.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Cross section 1.jpg
    Cross section 1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Cross section 2.jpg
    Cross section 2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 22
  • from Patent.jpg
    from Patent.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Specifications, Fact Sheet.jpg
    Specifications, Fact Sheet.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
And for those wanting more detail, I’ve attached full copies of the STR cross sections, the patent, and Fact Sheet

John

Attachments

• STR cross sections.pdf
    396.9 KB · Views: 14
  • US20150198799A1 (STR optics, 2015).pdf
    861.3 KB · Views: 9
  • STR Fact Sheet (July 2014).pdf
    278.9 KB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back