• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another tripod thread (1 Viewer)

pechelman

I have a good idea of what I want / need for my application of supporting a meopta 82mm s2 hd scope, but the problem is that there are so many conflicting and qualitative comparisons made between different tripods without the one objective comparison that matters.

Ideally, all I want to know is the difference in stability after bumping the scope or tripod. That's all that matters and very few folks ever seem to talk about this in a tripod review. No idea why.

The 3 up for consideration are the following;
  1. Gitzo GT3530LS
  2. Feisol 3372 Mark 2
  3. Induro GIT303 Grand

Regarding each specific tripod, I have a few other concerns.

Gitzo; Should I ever need customer support, I'm pretty much screwed I feel like based on what Ive read there. The cast metal head also worries me as a mechanical engineer. It honestly seems like they're clinging to their heritage with that one and it's a bad design decision. Some people claim that they corrode in saltwater while others say they're the only ones that dont. The head plate can fall off but can be fixed with an NSN safety plate. Resale is likely the best.

Feisol; Have read a few reports of things breaking and coming loose. Maybe less rigid / able to damp out motion than the gitzo? Tripod feet threads that arent standard, but I've never used spikes on any tripod ever, so likely not a big deal. Has "series 4" gitzo tubing for the legs. Should be "better". Great customer support but maybe more of a chance I'll need it?

Induro; On paper, this seems to be pretty great minus it weighing the most. Basically a new model gitzo clone.

I dont care too much about how fast the twist locks are or whatever status the brand gets me. This will only be used locally, so dont care about folded length. Will be doing short hikes, but likely nothing more than half a mile or so. Just want something that I dont have to think about when looking through a scope. Price is essentially identical on all 3 as well however the gitzo is used. Generally speaking, I take good care of my gear and will keep an eye on fasteners coming loose and am also relatively handy should I need to bond a leg back into place. Which option would the collective steer me toward? Any reason?

Hi,

I can't really comment on the three tripods mentioned as I don't know any of them. From the specs all look very capable with their 20kg+ max load - in my opinion they're slightly over the top for a 1500g scope unless you need to support a heavy camera in addition to your scope.

Since two of the models are without center column (which is nice for stability), make very sure that their max height plus intended head and scope height is sufficient for you in all applications - think about those days when you want to watch sth above you, be it raptors, planes or stars. A middle column which is normally down is not too bad for shakes but will save those days... a little more shakes is preferable to a bent neck in my opinion.

As for settling time - I found the head also an important factor - so you might also want to take sth beefier like 500AH or larger - the 128RC I used before is noticeably less stable (in addition to balance problems).

My TSN-3 and SDLv2 combination is also a tad above 1500g like your Meopta. On some 2nd hand Velbon legs rated for 8kg max load (predecessor of Geo N535) with the 500AH the settle time is roughly 1s after a sharp rap with the thumb to the upper leg section - a lot less obviously for normal handling like using focus or zoom. This is quite acceptable for me (I wished I had those times with my astro scopes... but they're in a different weight category...

Joachim

Cheers, Joachim!

I'm only considering the variants above that have no center column. I think the feisol comes in two options, and while that self leveling column looks pretty nice, I really don't need it. This tripod will only see use with this scope. Maybe one day I'd use it to shoot from, but that's very doubtful. I am a photographer, but have no long lenses or desire to get into that, so no photo duty other than a little phonescoping.

Going to be pairing this up with the 500AH head you mentioned as well on the advice of a friend whose opinion I trust.

Thankfully my wife and I are on the shorter side at 5'6 and 5'10, so all of these should be at / above eye level which should be handy for when we look to the planets or stars.

Edit: and on the size of all these tripods, I'm under the impression that while it's overkill by comparing that weight limit of the tripod to the weight of the scope (ratings I've also heard are semi-meaningless), it's what has been recommended to me for a good stable size. It also seems like the photographers using ~600-800mm lenses dont go lower than the "series 3" equivalents of these and since a 70X scope is appx a ~3000mm camera lens, it may actually be "undersized" based on that crowd. I'm open to input on that front as well, if I should go smaller or bigger.

Last edited:
Hi,

well my Velbon legs at max height with column extended are 64" up to the head connection plate which results into an eyepiece height of 59" for my TSN3 close to zenith - certainly no fun for me at 6'2 - not sure about you and your wife...

Maybe I should get the Feisol with the column or sth even higher - but otoh I tend to use larger calibers for astro most of the time and I tend to carry around the scope a lot so weight is also an issue...

Joachim

Last edited:
If you can "bite the bullet" and spend the pennies then the Gitzo 3530LS is the best tripod for scope use in my experience. Don't quite understand your concerns about support as all parts are freely available and very easily fitted - though they are not cheap! Why are you worried about the top casting? What are you going to put on top of it? My 3530LS was quite happy with me on top, so that is a tripod designed for 18 kilos not being phased with 110 kilos. With Gitzo simply forget weight ratings - they are just irrelevant, even my 2 series doesn't worry about 150lbs.

Where Gitzo tripods score is in their rigidity and vibration damping (just like RRS). Whilst I am a fan of Feisol products you have to accept that their carbon tubing is not as rigid or as good at damping vibration - the same applies to Benro and Induro. This is in no way disparaging their products, they are very good! It is just that I have found that with these manufacturers you need to go up 1 series to get the same performance - so I find that if I need a Gitzo 3 series then a 4 series Benro etc does the same job.

I am surprised that you mentioned the GT3530LS as it is no longer made. However, if you can find one, they are about as good as it gets for scope use and lighter (cheaper) than the newer models!

P.S. I freely admit that I am a Gitzo fanboy - but not impressed with the latest models - too heavy and too expensive!

Appreciate that response, John.

My concern has to do with the relatively well documented lack of customer support and service after the fact with parts sometimes taking months to show up even after multiple emails. On worst case, I've read one report where Gitzo just threw away the part of the tripod that went in for repair because they couldnt fix it and then didnt even bother to let the owner know.

Regarding the casting, I've seen more than a couple pictures of them breaking, anecdotally because they were out in the cold, but who knows. Casting as a manufacturing process is much more susceptible to flaws in the materials which are great places for cracks to start. Much moreso than a forging that has been machined. Stresses should be low enough not to matter, but things happen.

The only reason that gitzo is on the list is because I found one used at a reasonable price.

You mention the rigidity and damping of the gitzo, have you by had an opportunity to compare your 3530LS to either the feisol or induro? Nothing wrong with being a fanboy, I feel the same way about some Leica stuff :)

Ended up going for the used GT3530LS. Since I'm buying it from a reputable source, I can always return it if I'm unhappy and get the feisol or induro. Figured I'd start here since it's harder to find gitzo's at a good deal, they hold resale a bit better, and they have the reputation for being the most stable in terms of damping out vibrations/oscillations. Fingers crossed I never need customer support like most people who own gitzos.

You will be VERY happy with it! On a weight vs rigidity basis this is the best tripod that I have yet found. I sold mine to get the larger GT4542LS and am not fully convinced that it was the best move I have made. Yes my 4 series is stiffer and damps vibration better - but it is also heavier!

One suggestion I would make is to replace the Torx (?) bolt that locks the top plate in with a 6mm Dome headed Alen bolt. I always leave my tripod heads attached to a top plate and simply remove the plate and head for transport. This is easier and always ensures that the lockup is totally secure especially in changing temperatures. I find the key that Gitzo supply to be a poor fit which can lead to skinned knuckles - not nice in the cold! Alen keys fit much better and save your pinkies. This is a minor point - but every little helps.

There are probably comparable tripods from other makers but I have yet to find one that offers the same combination of weight + performance - note that includes the newer Gitzo tripods.

P.S. If you ever need spares (hope you live that long) then they are here:

https://www.gitzospares.com/gt3530ls-parts.html

I have the 3542LS, and bought extra systematic top plates to interchange heads (I have an Acratech GP-ss head and a Gigapan Epic 100 robotic panorama head on a leveling base that I swap regularly back and forth on mine, swapping the whole assembly off is much more convenient than unscrewing and screwing back on a head on a platform.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back