• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phonescoping (1 Viewer)

Tom Tarrant said:
If you thought that digiscoping was an interesting resource.....have a look at this!

http://www.surfbirds.com/easymoblog/
http://koti.welho.com/tlaurins/phonescoping/

Whow. The shots on the Finnish website are *really* amazing. Up to now I dismissed all camera phones out of hand, but I think I'll have to reconsider this. I'm looking for a new phone to supplement my aging Nokia 6210 anyway, and I think I'll have to have a close look at camera phones. The thing is that I carry one (or two) cellphones anyway wherever I am, so having one with a camera might come in handy.

Hermann

I'm looking to get a new phone and a new camera, so what do I go for to kill two birds with one stone, ouch hate that phrase.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
I'm looking to get a new phone and a new camera, so what do I go for to kill two birds with one stone, ouch hate that phrase.

An interesting question is - what to get? After all, it's not only the camera that counts, you'll also want a phone that can stand the rigours of birding in all sorts of weather (including any celebrations in the pub after a successful twitch ... *grin'), a reasonable standby time and so on.

Hermann

I have been trying phone scoping and phone "bining" using a sharp GX25 for sometime.
Works well with a bit of practice, with surprisingly good results through bins even!
For me the main appeal is being able to quickly email someone a shot of a bird while still out in the field rather than obtaining a first class pic, and it works fine for this.

I have had an image of something I'm looking at on a friends PC screen within minutes....pretty amazing when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

Reason I chose the Sharp is the display screen is far superior to most other models as it uses a hi-def plasma screen, which other models don't seem to have.

John.

Some examples below both using bins.

Attachments

• picture108.jpg
    picture108.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 223
  • picture135.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Minox MD 62 W + Nokia 6280

I saw this thread and thought I'd pop this one in.
Shot through my Minox MD 62 W scope, 30x WW on a Nokia 6280 phone (2.0 Mp)
Not brilliant, but was only mucking about as I'd just got this phone.
What do you think?

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 185
Gramayr said:
I saw this thread and thought I'd pop this one in.
Shot through my Minox MD 62 W scope, 30x WW on a Nokia 6280 phone (2.0 Mp)
Not brilliant, but was only mucking about as I'd just got this phone.
What do you think?

Not bad, I can see the benefit of having one especially if your not sure on the birds ID, send the image immediately to someone by email and you can confirm it out in the field. Pretty amazing.

This is an interesting thread as coincidently I bought a new camera phone a few weeks ago.
The phone has a 2 megapixel camera and I have been using it with a Swarovski scope.
I find it a bit awkward to line up the camera lens and scope eye piece but with practice it seems possible to get some reasonable shots.
My best to date is a picture I have already posted on another thread, a bullfinch at Pennington Flash ( see below )

Perhaps we could use this thread to compare pictures. I will upload some more soon.

Regards

Dave

Attachments

• Bullfinch at Pe…29 Mar 2006.jpg
    Bullfinch at Pe…29 Mar 2006.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 140
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back