• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First drawings (2 Viewers)

MLoyko

d[-_-]b
hey guys, this is my first attempt at drawing birds, did draw fish before but birds is a first, let me know what you think. first is supposed to be a gyrfalcon second is supposed to be a cardinal

Attachments

• gyrfalcon(drawing).jpg
    gyrfalcon(drawing).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 129
  • cardinal(drawing).jpg
    cardinal(drawing).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 110
Hi Sputnik - I like the linear quality of your drawings and the character of the cardinal is very nice. Perhaps the change between line and tone (charcoal/pencil edge?) is a bit obvious, maybe a glance at a tad more subtlety in transition?
You look like you can draw ok, though. I'd personally like to see some of your piscatorial stuff.

OK, heres those pictures of the fish, they aren't that great as i drew them 2 years ago but at the time i thought they were good. The colorin gprobably ruins them (not very good at coloring) but they most likely have the same problems as the two bird pictures do

Attachments

• fish drawings 001.jpg
    fish drawings 001.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 103
  • fish drawings 002.jpg
    fish drawings 002.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 100
  • fish drawings 003.jpg
    fish drawings 003.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 98
  • fish drawings 004.jpg
    fish drawings 004.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 94
  • fish drawings 005.jpg
    fish drawings 005.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 103
For first drawings I think all of them are great ones! I think the patterning on the fish is great observation on your part. Remember that any pattern (fins and feathers) will follow the shape and show the volume and roundness of the surface it rests on.

For a good drawing lesson in this would be drawing a crazy looking animal like a zebra and see how their patterns give away the body shape they rest on. Then in the future (and like you are doing) look at your birds and fish you draw and realize the same thing is happening only not as pronounced. Hope this might help some...keep up the good work and remember most of all just to have fun with your drawings. Greg

some lovely stuff here, just keep enjoying it and play with pattern and tone, you'll find your way. You've already got a great linear eye, so just keep going.

Great first drawings...you've got a talent and a feel for this - just keep on going...and don't worry too much about the technicalities...

linear eye, it's just my way of saying that you see and draw a good strong line, rather than fumbling around, you just draw it.

Welcome aboard Sput!

Keep at it and you'll develop as you go. Every time you make a mark you learn something so it follows that the more you do, the more you learn.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back