Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

NIKON introduces new Monarch HG 8x30 and 10x30 Binoculars

Old Saturday 14th July 2018, 15:30   #51
bartd

I have been using Nikon's MONARCH HG 10x42 binos for over a year now. I think without a doubt they are the best bino's I own and that includes some Euro bino's that cost more than double. The clarity and low use make them perfect for my needs. It's great that Nikon has come out with a more compact version, the 8 and 10x30 models. I use the MONARCH 7 8x30's for scouting and preseason waterfowl identification. Easy to wear around your neck for hours. I keep the full-size bino's in a chest strap for ease of use and protection.
Old Sunday 15th July 2018, 07:03   #52
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Lee,

As a practical matter, if I were doing something like that on a regular basis I would not use any 8x30 or 8x32 binoculars which are very useful in closeup work in the canopy or while engaged in general birding.

I would use instead a high quality wide field 7x42 like Jerry Liguori recommends in his books: "Hawks at a Distance" and "Hawks at any Angle." The binoculars he has used since 1994 were the Zeiss 7x45 Night Owl and later the 7x42 Victory FL.

I'm sure that they would be just as advantageous while sweeping the sea for Otters, Seals, Loons or Whales from the land or from a boat. Their large exit pupils are very forgiving.

Bob
Absolutely agree about 7x. I have a MeoStar 7x42 which is not a fov-monster like an FL but has the extra depth of field and ease of eye-placement to which you refer. But I do like the compact form of a 30/32mm on some days especially when carrying a lot of photo gear/tripod.

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: