• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura & La Mancha Wetlands Dec 2003 (1 Viewer)

Paul Hackett

Was lucky enough to vist Spain recently and took a few days off for Birding with a very good Bird Guide friend of mine, Santiago Vilas who is based in Madrid, We saw many of the species of Bird associated with this time of year in the two areas

Black Shouldered kite ( 3)
Griffon Vulture ( numerous )
Black Vulture ( 5)
Bonelli's Eagle ( 3)
Golden Eagle ( 1)
Spanish Imperial Eagle (2)
Red Kites ( Numerous)
Common Kestrel ( numerous )
Sparrowhawk ( 3)
Buzzard ( numerous)
Blue Rock Thrush ( 4)
Azure Winged Magpie (numerous)
Hoopoe (numerous)
Sardinian Warbler
Blackcap
Fan Tailed Warbler
Chiffchaffs
Purple Gallinule ( 2)
Great White Egret (1)
Common Crane (400+)
Crag Martin ( 8)
White Stork

I have attached some pictures from the trip, Coolpix 4500, Zeiss 85 scope with 20 - 60 zoom lens set between 20 & 30 times magnification

Attachments

• Dscn7241Griffon01Monfrague0212003.jpg
    Dscn7241Griffon01Monfrague0212003.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Dscn7250.BlueRockThrushMonfrague021203jpg.jpg
    Dscn7250.BlueRockThrushMonfrague021203jpg.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Dscn7134HoopoeLaManchaWetlands021203.jpg
    Dscn7134HoopoeLaManchaWetlands021203.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Dscn7192BonellisEagle03Monfrague021203.jpg
    Dscn7192BonellisEagle03Monfrague021203.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 272
  • Dscn7237Griffon&BonellisEagleeMonfrague021203.jpg
    Dscn7237Griffon&BonellisEagleeMonfrague021203.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
And miss Stockport County's first home win of the season, Paul?
The very name Extremadura is magic to my ears and you got some great shots there. I especially like the Griffon Vulture and Bonelli's Eagle together. Where was that taken, Portilla de Tietar in Monfragüe?

E

Last edited:
Hi Paul, Where did you take the image of the Bonelli's eagle? Despite a few visits to Extremadura I've never managed anything other than poor views of this bird. I gather that Winter into late February are the best times to catch up with them. Never managed a winter trip to Spain...........yet. ;)
Cheers,
Steve

Edward & Steve G

Yes Edward, the place was Portilla del Tietar just inside the Monfrague National Park at the viewpoint overlooking the reservoir, and the birds were on the opposite rock formation, the bonelli's was joined by the vulture and it was looking intently at the griffon for a couple of minutes then started to relax a little, a curious picture dont you think ?

The black vultures never landed on the rock staying to the air and thermals with the other Griffons, the Griffons coming into land from behind us made an amazing sound, and on further observations was noted that the undertail feathers were rustling as they started to brake and retract their wings as they slowed themselves down to land, the sound was loud and distinctive on such a quiet day !

Steve G -
if you get the chance GO in winter !!!!

we saw 3 Bonelli's eagles displaying and the griffon Vultures displaying also, the thing i liked most regarding digiscoping was NO HEAT HAZE ! temp @12 C - 13 C so taking pics was easy despite the distance, the birds were poss @ 200yards plus ?

Paul Hackett said:
Edward & Steve G

Steve G -
if you get the chance GO in winter !!!!

we saw 3 Bonelli's eagles displaying and the griffon Vultures displaying also, the thing i liked most regarding digiscoping was NO HEAT HAZE ! temp @12 C - 13 C so taking pics was easy despite the distance, the birds were poss @ 200yards plus ?
Thanks Paul. I'll need to try & get there in winter. I got great views of Eagle Owls & youngsters in late May 2002 at Portilla del Tietar with nesting Black Stork & nesting Egyptian vultures in a nearby cave...-its a cracking site; but I never saw Bonelli's there.
cheers,
Steve

I want to go the La Serena in march.... The cranes starting to get frisky and great bustards turning themselves inside out, Calandra and Thekla Larks singing their lungs out.

Jane Turner said:
I want to go the La Serena in march.... The cranes starting to get frisky and great bustards turning themselves inside out, Calandra and Thekla Larks singing their lungs out.

I hear you Jane, but they're pretty frisky in April too and I couldn't do without my Rollers. A friend of mine has visited Extremadura in December, April and June. Without wishing to state the obvious he thought April was the best, but said December was great for steppe birds although it was freezing, June was hopeless for steppe birds (sweltering and heat haze from dawn to dusk) but had White-rumped Swifts in Monfragüe. Basically every season has its attractions.

Yes I thought I recognised Portilla de Tietar Paul, where I saw my favourite raptor, Bonelli's Eagle displaying this spring, and an adult Eagle Owl with chicks. Two great lifers within 30 seconds! My bogey bird in Extremadura is Great Spotted Cuckoo grrr!
E

I foolishly attempted the Steppe birds in August. Hot doesn't do it justice. I set off very early morning trying to find a Great Bustard... and after only 30 mins decided it was way too hot so I headed back to the car and its air conditioning. I was panting and drinking litres of water when one of the brown roadside stones suddenly sprouted a head and walked off hautily! Of course if I hadn't got out of the car I wouldn't have seen a flock of 200 Calandra Larks!

I and a couple of friends saw Bonelli's at Portilla del Tietar in late May. We had excellent flight views one of my favourite birds of an excellent five days. We also saw 2 juv Eagle Owls many Griffon's and a couple of R-n Nightjars.

Mark

Paul,
Some excellent shots, I am glad to see you have took the time to visit the La Mancha region of Spain, it is often overlooked by birders intent on visiting Extramadura to the south and the Pyrenees etc to the north.

It can produce some superb birding ,we spent a week last May travelling around that region alone and notched up a trip total of 162 species.
The wetlands particularly those around the town of Alcazar de San Juan and Daimiel can produce an excellent passage of Waders and the White headed Duck is a fairly common bird in La Mancha.
Both Bustards and Sandgrouse were fairly easy to locate in the fields south of Madrid.
Raptors were superb, with Spanish Imperial Eagle fairly easy to see at Cabaneros Natural Park,[an area that hold some 120+ pairs of Black Vulture] ,an afternoon in the Sierra Morena produced fifteen species of raptor including a pair of Bonellis Eagle at the nest and several pairs of Black winged Kite.
The suprising bird here however was White rumped Swift, with two-three pairs found breeding in disused mine workings alongside Red Rumped Swallow.
I found the La Mancha region as good if not better than Extramadura,with the added bonus of wetlands for waders and wildfowl , finding birds took more effort, but as this region is fairly underwatched it provides a great oppurtunity for turning up the odd suprise.
;)

CGK said:
The wetlands particularly those around the town of Alcazar de San Juan and Daimiel can produce an excellent passage of Waders and the White headed Duck is a fairly common bird in La Mancha.

Hi CGK,

I stopped off at Las Tablas de Daimiel in April and it seemed pretty impressive although we were short of time. Collared Pratincole and Red-crested Pochard were lifers there and there were plenty of Purple Herons, Whiskered Terns, Savi's Warblers, Water Rail, and much more besides.

Sparrowbirder, the Spanish steppes provided one of my greatest ever birding experiences, but don't go in summer (see Jane's mail above). I went in April to the superb La Serena, the landscape was vaguely Icelandic, as was the weather (10-12°C) but instead of Whimbrels, Golden Plovers and Meadow Pipits everywhere there were abundant Calandra Larks, plenty of Lesser Kestrels and splendid birds such as Great Bustard, Little Bustard, Stone Curlew and Roller all easy to find. Happy days.

E

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back