• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding magazines and Tesco (1 Viewer)

mike_gss

VERY new birder
Hi all. Yesterday I was in the Abingdon (Oxfordshire) branch of Tesco on the off chance they had any birding magazines. I subscribe to Bird Watching magazine but am away from home just now and looking for some reading material. They didn't have anything, but they weren't short of fishing magazines of which no less than 5 titles were devoted solely to Carp (Carp Fishing; Carp Talk; Total Carp; Carpworld and Crafty Carper - I can upload a photo if proof is required!).

I've got nothing against fishing (or Tesco for that matter - I'm sure all supermarkets are the same) - and of course I understand that fishing is a phenomenally popular pursuit - but really... five magazines for just one family of fish???

Birding is, likewise, a very very popular pastime. Why do many magazine outlets therefore not seem to offer magazines on the subject? Do most birders, like me, get their magazines by subscription rather than retail purchase?

Is it worth writing a letter of complaint to Tesco? ;)

I used to subscribe to Birdwatch magazine years ago but now only buy it very occasionally from a "proper" newsagent. I subscribe to British Wildlife for a more comprehensive approach.
I suspect the product range of any supermarket reflects the buying habits of the clientèle of that particular store.

I was talking to a much more experienced birder today (I've only been on the twitch for 6 months) who said that bird magazines have only been around, more or less, for the last ten years or so which surprised me.

Oh well, perhaps their scarcity isn't that unexpected.

Bit surprising, this one has been around 20+ ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdwatch_(magazine)

I guess also many of the birding organisations produce scientific(ish) or general magazines, reports etc - eg RSPB, county bird clubs. Not sure if fishing clubs do the same (or to same quality?)

But yes, gardening, angling, home improvements etc etc all have more published glossies - more general interest perhaps?

I was in RS Mcoll and it's the same all they have is Birdwatching ( I subscribe to that anyway) Birdwatch and BBC Wildlife the rest are full of fishing and Aircraft Boats magazines.

I find Birdwatching and Birdwatch magazine have a lot to interest me. RSPB magazine on the other hand good if you want a nice tea set or a stair lift

I suspect the product range of any supermarket reflects the buying habits of the clientèle of that particular store.

My local Tesco trialled Birdwatch for a month but didn't continue it due to low sales. Mind you, they stock a full range of huntin/ shootin/ fishin/ golf magazines which don't seem to sell much either.

My wife works in Sainsbury's and although they don't sell Birdwatch they do sell Bird Watching, British Wildlife and other magazines I.e Countyfile but you can't beat WH Smiths for a selection of wildlife mags.

Damian

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back