Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ghana Ashanti lead birding trip 18th February to 6th March

Old Friday 16th November 2018, 14:15   #26
tittletattler

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Sorry, I was confused, on 22nd Feb you wrote 'Twenty Violet Backed Swallows flew passed' (sic).

Does sound amazing but I'd want to negotiate independently if possible and cut out the middle man e.g Ashanti and deal directly with a guide if possible.

Much cheaper doing it this way wherever possible and we mostly self drive and pick up guides locally. A great part of the cost on fully guided trips is the cost of food and accommodation for the driver and guide.

Andy
Oh Yeah! Starling.
Old Friday 16th November 2018, 14:37   #27
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tittletattler View Post
Oh Yeah! Starling.
I did wonder if that's what it was.
Old Saturday 17th November 2018, 05:56   #28
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Never thought too hard about West Africa before, but your excellent report has certainly raised my interest. Of especial interest is the range of amazing-looking bee-earers, the strange concept of melodious and Wood Warblers together with sunbirds, and those challenging birds of the forest floor.

Many thanks
Mike

Hong Kong: Ultramarine Flycatcher, Rufous-faced Warbler, European Golden Plover (468)
Greater China: Franklin's Gull, Buff-breasted Sandpiper European Golden Plover (972)
Lifer: Syrian Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker
Old Saturday 17th November 2018, 22:13   #29
temmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Sorry, I was confused, on 22nd Feb you wrote 'Twenty Violet Backed Swallows flew passed' (sic).

Does sound amazing but I'd want to negotiate independently if possible and cut out the middle man e.g Ashanti and deal directly with a guide if possible.

Much cheaper doing it this way wherever possible and we mostly self drive and pick up guides locally. A great part of the cost on fully guided trips is the cost of food and accommodation for the driver and guide.

Andy
We used Robert Ntakor and he is now guiding tours independently (previously working for Ashanti). I believe some of his brothers also work for him / assist / guide tours for his company. I think Ashanti is still very good value (I believe it was James Ntakor we met in the field, and he seemed as good a guide as anyone, but surpassing Robert's skills would be very hard for any guide, anywhere on the planet.
For money and Ghana is one of those destinations where a guide + driver is not a very big cost compared to other countries, especially if you are with a group of 4-6.
Our report is on cloud birders, this is the direct link: http://users.ugent.be/~hmatheve/hm/GHANA16.html

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 18th November 2018, 11:40   #30
tittletattler

Quote:
Originally Posted by temmie View Post
We used Robert Ntakor and he is now guiding tours independently (previously working for Ashanti). I believe some of his brothers also work for him / assist / guide tours for his company. I think Ashanti is still very good value (I believe it was James Ntakor we met in the field, and he seemed as good a guide as anyone, but surpassing Robert's skills would be very hard for any guide, anywhere on the planet.
For money and Ghana is one of those destinations where a guide + driver is not a very big cost compared to other countries, especially if you are with a group of 4-6.
Our report is on cloud birders, this is the direct link: http://users.ugent.be/~hmatheve/hm/GHANA16.html

Yes, there's a bit of a story there. ��

I think you've nailed. The standard of guiding in Ghana is very high and the Nkator brothers are excellent. Ashanti also work with the local community at the Picathartes site.

Yup, a tailor made budget tour of 4-6 should be ideal in my opinion.

Last edited by tittletattler : Sunday 18th November 2018 at 11:44.
Old Sunday 18th November 2018, 16:40   #31
ovenbird43

Excellent report, thanks for writing it up! I've just returned from my own trip to Ghana, so it's been fun to read about your experiences at some of the same sites.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: