• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr Ware's invalid (Common) Woodshrike (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
While following the footsteps of Walter Koelz I stumbled upon the eponym ...

warei as in:
● the invalid subspecies "Tephrodornis pondiceriana warei" KOELZ 1939 (here) [According to today's HBW Alive Key: syn. Tephrodornis pondicerianus (i.e. GMELIN 1789)*]

See foot-note (bottom of page), in Koelz OD: Named for my friend S. J. Ware.

... which most likely (?) is Dr. Stanton J. Ware, of Ann Arbor, Michigan (where Koelz also lived).

Nothing else found.

For what t´s worth!

Björn

Last edited:
Nothing new but this is what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Common Woodshrike ssp. Tephrodornis pondiceriana warei Koelz, 1939 NCR [JS Tephrodornis pondicerianus pondicerianus]
S. J. Ware (DNF) was a friend of the describer, who gave no further details.

The old key:
Dr Stanton James Ware (fl. 1958) US hydrologist, friend of collector and agronomist Dr Walter Koelz (syn. Tephrodornis pondicerianus).

Maybe it is time to find his life dates?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back