• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ideal camera for Nikon ED82 (1 Viewer)

Hi I'm considering purchasing a Nikon ED82 Fieldscope with a 30x W eyepiece could anyone recommend a camera and suitable set up for this type of scope?

border reiver said:
Hi I'm considering purchasing a Nikon ED82 Fieldscope with a 30x W eyepiece could anyone recommend a camera and suitable set up for this type of scope?
My son has this combination - it makes for a truly superb birding scope, maybe the best available for natural colour rendition. I've just bought a Fuji F30 camera as that seems to be the most recommended digiscoping camera these days owing to its unique low light ability. It's only drawback is its LCD screen is not a "swing out" type, so an angled scope would make it easier to use. That said, the screen is large, bright and very sharp thus making focusing easy to achieve. A suitable adapter that allows easy switching between digiscoping and viewing can be bought from www.srb-griturn.com.

I haven't tried the F30 with my son's scope yet only with my Zeiss 85, with which it is fine. I shall try it out tomorrow and report back if I have time!

scampo said:
My son has this combination - it makes for a truly superb birding scope, maybe the best available for natural colour rendition. I've just bought a Fuji F30 camera as that seems to be the most recommended digiscoping camera these days owing to its unique low light ability. It's only drawback is its LCD screen is not a "swing out" type, so an angled scope would make it easier to use. That said, the screen is large, bright and very sharp thus making focusing easy to achieve. A suitable adapter that allows easy switching between digiscoping and viewing can be bought from www.srb-griturn.com.

I haven't tried the F30 with my son's scope yet only with my Zeiss 85, with which it is fine. I shall try it out tomorrow and report back if I have time!

Many thanks for info Steve, I've previously looked at coolpix 4500 but the technological advances in last year has put me off getting an older model camera.

Nikon ED82A with Fuji F30

border reiver said:
Many thanks for info Steve, I've previously looked at coolpix 4500 but the technological advances in last year has put me off getting an older model camera.
The CP4500 is still a brilliant and very versatile camera (4mp is quite sufficient, after all - and it is mechanically superb) but I find the Fuji F30 so very much much quicker and easier to use. That said, I have a friend who can use his CP4500 in next to no time. I attach two test shots I have just taken using the F30 handheld to the Nikon ED82A with 30xW and the 25-75x zoom.

I needed only a very little camera zoom to remove the vignette shadow from the edge of both shots (a little more with the zoom). All in all, it was very easy indeed to set up and use. The first shot was of a telegraph pole about 30 yards distant and the Fuji was set at 800ASA which gave a shutter speed of, I think, 1/400sec at f4; the second shot was of a second pole about 60 yards distant with similar settings but using the 25-75x zoom set at 25x. Both shots are full frame uncropped.

Attachments

• ED82_30x_800ASAWEB.jpg
    ED82_30x_800ASAWEB.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 236
  • ED82_zoom_25x_800ASA.jpg
    ED82_zoom_25x_800ASA.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
border reiver,
As Steve mentioned, srb-griturn can make a swing-away adaptor for your eyepiece. Only problem with the 30X WA is that it will need an additional sleeve on the lower part of the eyepiece. Nikon are now making a 40X DS (digiscoping) eyepiece that is easier to use a swing-away or just sleeve adaptor on. Not sure if this extra magnification is a plus or a minus though.

I made up a tube type adaptor for my F30 to fit the ED82 which I only bought on thursday.
I was testing it out in the garden, when blacky arrived on the fence unexpectedly. Panic stations, he sat for quite a while, allowing me to take this picture, I have cropped it from the original,
Hope the picture comes out ok. first picture posted.

Attachments

• Blacky.jpg
    Blacky.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 270
Feathered one said:
I made up a tube type adaptor for my F30 to fit the ED82 which I only bought on thursday.
I was testing it out in the garden, when blacky arrived on the fence unexpectedly. Panic stations, he sat for quite a while, allowing me to take this picture, I have cropped it from the original,
Excellent. I don't know what ASA sensitivity you had the camera set at. I'm trying mine on M/A 800ASA and it gives fast shutter speeds with no noise in the photo. I'll be trying 1600ASA next to see what difference in noise occurs, then up to 3200ASA when noise will be apparent but might be easily removable with cleaning software. Did you set the lens to macro or not, btw?

scampo said:
Excellent. I don't know what ASA sensitivity you had the camera set at. I'm trying mine on M/A 800ASA and it gives fast shutter speeds with no noise in the photo. I'll be trying 1600ASA next to see what difference in noise occurs, then up to 3200ASA when noise will be apparent but might be easily removable with cleaning software. Did you set the lens to macro or not, btw?

Sorry for not putting the settings
Macro was off, I really can't see any difference to the pics I have taken for test purposes, with it on or off.
Camera was on auto. which gave f2.8 1/260sec iso100.
I didnt specifically set the camera to auto to take the picture, its just what was dialled in when the blackbird landed on the fence !!
The small amount of testing down at Pennington today, with a reasonable amount of low sun, but quite windy, showing up problems with tripod/head stability, showed the auto setting to work quite well, but early days yet.

Picture below cropped from original Fuji F30 f4.9 at 1/680 sec 400asa on auto

Attachments

• Pennington-test.jpg
    Pennington-test.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Feathered one said:
Sorry for not putting the settings
Macro was off, I really can't see any difference to the pics I have taken for test purposes, with it on or off.
Camera was on auto. which gave f2.8 1/260sec iso100.
I didnt specifically set the camera to auto to take the picture, its just what was dialled in when the blackbird landed on the fence !!
The small amount of testing down at Pennington today, with a reasonable amount of low sun, but quite windy, showing up problems with tripod/head stability, showed the auto setting to work quite well, but early days yet.

Picture below cropped from original Fuji F30 f4.9 at 1/680 sec 400asa on auto
Good shot, though, eh - fine sense of motion. It's probably safer to set the camera on M/A rather than Full Auto and change the sensitivity to 800ASA. This will give a higher shutter speed and hence more chance of a shake-free shot.

I've also read that using the multiple firing ability where the camera fires three consecutive shots when you release the shutter gives a better chance of a worthwhile shot.

scampo said:
The CP4500 is still a brilliant and very versatile camera (4mp is quite sufficient, after all - and it is mechanically superb) but I find the Fuji F30 so very much much quicker and easier to use. That said, I have a friend who can use his CP4500 in next to no time. I attach two test shots I have just taken using the F30 handheld to the Nikon ED82A with 30xW and the 25-75x zoom.

I needed only a very little camera zoom to remove the vignette shadow from the edge of both shots (a little more with the zoom). All in all, it was very easy indeed to set up and use. The first shot was of a telegraph pole about 30 yards distant and the Fuji was set at 800ASA which gave a shutter speed of, I think, 1/400sec at f4; the second shot was of a second pole about 60 yards distant with similar settings but using the 25-75x zoom set at 25x. Both shots are full frame uncropped.

hehehe nice pics steve !

Feathered one said:

can u post your tube adaptor ?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back