Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Does EMR harm living organisms?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 22:34   #1501
elkcub
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
elkcub's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,395
Hi Diana,

Yup, this one strikes very close to home, so I've attached a pdf file to make it easier to read and store for future reference. For the most part, I'd have to agree with the author that "The science is exceedingly clear, but we just keep on [willfully] ignoring it."

Ed
__________________
Understanding optics is child's play compared to understanding child's play.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts." Richard Feynman

Last edited by elkcub : Saturday 16th March 2019 at 22:46.
elkcub is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 22:55   #1502
fugl
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 14,644
Ah, more anecdotal “evidence” from the far west this time. . ..

Tyler Darden—I must make a point of seeing the movie someday.
__________________
Bird photos (Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/
". . .Let them be left, O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Saturday 16th March 2019 at 23:04.
fugl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 00:36   #1503
fugl
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 14,644
https://www.livescience.com/51099-th...re-rising.html

EMR not even mentioned as a possible cause. Another instance of the malign influence of the all-powerful Big Cellphone lobby, no doubt. One wonders whether the author of this disgraceful article is a conscious agent of evil or just another dupe?
__________________
Bird photos (Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/
". . .Let them be left, O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Sunday 17th March 2019 at 00:38.
fugl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 01:01   #1504
fugl
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 14,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Heron View Post
@ all If you think EMR is not dangerous, perhaps you should read the following story: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...t-keep-getting In case the link doesn't work, it's on Zero Hedge and the title is "California parents want cell phone tower taken down because kids just keep getting cancer". It's a variation on a story that is getting a lot of coverage, but I am giving you this link because the author says something I have been saying all along: cell phone radiation is "one of the greatest environmental scandals in history, and yet the environmental movement is almost completely silent about this crisis."

The thing you don't seem to realize is that cell towers are harming both people and the environment. Would you want to live near one? Most people don't want to, even if they want the convenience of wireless technologies. Unfortunately, that means that someone inevitably ends up having one close to his or her home. I have a friend with cancer, which she developed after a cell tower was placed very near her home. She'd love to sell up and move to get away from it (it has long since been replaced by an even bigger cell tower, with a couple of booster masts added) but surprise, surprise, no one wants to buy her lovely home on a Greek island near a beach. And what those cell towers do to people, they also do to other creatures. They aren't safe.

I append an early study done by the US military showing that EMR makes the blood-brain barrier permeable. There are many studies showing this, but this one goes back over 40 years, showing how long we have known how much harm EMR can do. Why is this important? The blood-brain barrier is not supposed to be permeable, because it protects the brain and central nervous system from disease and damage. Certain drugs and medicines are designed to pass through the blood-brain barrier in order to work--one example is Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozac--but in general the blood-brain barrier exists to protect the organism--think of a firewall in a computer. Anyway, here we are, flooding the environment with EMR which renders the blood-brain barrier permeable, not only in people but in all creatures, and we think this is a good idea? Well, obviously we do, since we put cell towers next to people's homes, next to schools and hospitals, put Wi-Fi in everywhere, etc.
C’mon, you’re like a broken record. There’s zero reason to suppose that EMR has anything like the deleterious effects you describe here and earlier in the thread, either on humankind or on wild nature. Many people today have cell phones pressed to their ears almost 24/7 but where’s the evidence for harm? Are you claiming that the health of rural populations with limited exposure to EMR is better than those living in cities and suburbs where cell towers and the gadgets they service are everywhere?

Why do you think you’ve made so few converts to your point of view on this very long thread? By my count you’ve only made one (2 if you count poor old litebeam). Do you really believe that the rest of us are so blinded by attachment to our gadgets as to ignore convincing evidence that they’re harmful? Or that we’re all dupes of big cell phone and the legions of supposedly corrupt and venal scientists in its direct or indirect employ, the latter—the famous 97%—comprising near as dammit the whole of the scientific establishment? I don’t, not for one minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Heron View Post
But go on, guys, keep extolling the benefits of wireless technology, and keep looking forward to 5G, 6G and all the rest.
Thanks, I for one will continue to do so, brushing aside your hysteria on the subject. . ..
__________________
Bird photos (Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/
". . .Let them be left, O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Sunday 17th March 2019 at 04:34.
fugl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 18th March 2019, 14:15   #1505
Purple Heron
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 431
@ Ed Thanks for that. I have been giving some thought to how one describes wireless technologies, which were not tested for health effects before being rolled out, without saying they are being "tested" on us, or that we are being "experimented on". Would "inflicted on us" serve?

@ fugl Actually, there are all sorts of health effects from wireless technologies that are currently affecting people everywhere, and the health burden is vast and growing. This is in addition to the great toll that EMR is having on the natural world, of course. However, people continue to advance the "so many people use mobile phones and not many of them have got brain tumours" argument, as you do. What they are not looking at is all the other health effects--not to mention other cancers--testicular, thyroid, etc. To my mind, sterility and DNA damage are much more serious effects of EMR than cancer--and these are the effects that are probably playing the largest part in what we keep terming "the sixth great extinction". And yes, I do think that you and many others are in fact so blinded by attachment to wireless gadgets that you would in fact ignore any and all evidence that they are dangerous until you personally are injured, or someone you love is. And when that happens, you will scream bloody murder.

@ Jos Since you haven't been keeping up with the news, try this article, which will at least demonstrate to you that I am hardly the only person noting "catastrophic declines." There are indeed catastrophic declines, and they are happening right now. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...most-certainly
Purple Heron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 18th March 2019, 14:35   #1506
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East
 
Jos Stratford's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Exile in Eastern Europe
Posts: 16,145
Wrong Diana, you are merely a peddling another of your deliberate lies - as you know, I have never said there are no devclines, just they don't fall in line with your hobby horse reason
__________________
For photographs and articles, Lithuania and beyond, click here for my website

Last edited by Jos Stratford : Monday 18th March 2019 at 19:11.
Jos Stratford is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 18th March 2019, 18:34   #1507
fugl
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 14,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Heron View Post
. . .Actually, there are all sorts of health effects from wireless technologies that are currently affecting people everywhere, and the health burden is vast and growing. This is in addition to the great toll that EMR is having on the natural world, of course. However, people continue to advance the "so many people use mobile phones and not many of them have got brain tumours" argument, as you do. What they are not looking at is all the other health effects--not to mention other cancers--testicular, thyroid, etc. To my mind, sterility and DNA damage are much more serious effects of EMR than cancer--and these are the effects that are probably playing the largest part in what we keep terming "the sixth great extinction". And yes, I do think that you and many others are in fact so blinded by attachment to wireless gadgets that you would in fact ignore any and all evidence that they are dangerous until you personally are injured, or someone you love is. And when that happens, you will scream bloody murder
Oh, I get it, EMR doesn’t cause tumors after all, just all the other stuff you mention. That’s an advantage of having so many baseless assertions, I suppose—if one is disconfirmed you can simply abandon it (if only temporarily) and move on to the next.

I repeat, where’s the demographic evidence that cell phones have the dreadful and myriad effects on human populations you claim? By evidence I mean, you know, evidence, not the anecdotes and just so stories you typically favor us with.

Of course I’d scream bloody murder if it were established that EMR injured me or mine (or anybody really). Who wouldn’t?
__________________
Bird photos (Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/
". . .Let them be left, O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Monday 18th March 2019 at 18:42.
fugl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 18th March 2019, 20:42   #1508
elkcub
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
elkcub's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Heron View Post
@ Ed Thanks for that. I have been giving some thought to how one describes wireless technologies, which were not tested for health effects before being rolled out, without saying they are being "tested" on us, or that we are being "experimented on". Would "inflicted on us" serve?

.[/url]
Diana

Yes, "inflicted on us," captures the situation very well.

Ed
__________________
Understanding optics is child's play compared to understanding child's play.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts." Richard Feynman

Last edited by elkcub : Monday 18th March 2019 at 21:04.
elkcub is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th March 2019, 14:48   #1509
Borjam
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Algorta Spain
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
https://www.livescience.com/51099-th...re-rising.html

EMR not even mentioned as a possible cause. Another instance of the malign influence of the all-powerful Big Cellphone lobby, no doubt. One wonders whether the author of this disgraceful article is a conscious agent of evil or just another dupe?
But it's flat, you know it!
Borjam is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th March 2019, 14:20   #1510
Purple Heron
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 431
@ fugl I think you don't get it at all. Saying that "people have been using mobile phones all this time and relatively few of them have got a brain tumor" is analogous to saying "people have been using tobacco all this time and relatively few of them have got lung cancer". It took a very, very long time for the IARC to upgrade tobacco to a Group 1 carcinogen, the tobacco industry being quite powerful (though nowhere near as powerful as the wireless industry is today) and they even used to advertise smoking as being beneficial to health. The fact is, a lot of people still smoke, and not all of them are going to get lung cancer, in fact only a small proportion are, and those who do are the ones who are genetically predisposed to getting lung cancer. Does that mean that smoking tobacco is safe? Or that there is not a health burden associated with smoking? So I am only saying that, with wireless, there are other health effects than cancer, just as with smoking, there are also other health effects than cancer--emphysema, asthma, etc., and that, in the case of wireless, these other health effects (such as DNA damage and sterility) are more serious than cancer, even though we seem to use cancer alone as the yardstick of when a substance is bad for health.

Having said all that, how do you respond to the story I posted a few days ago, the one that Ed kindly made into a PDF? (post 1501). Would you want to send your child to a school with a cell tower just outside it? How do you respond to studies, of which I have posted several, showing cancer clusters around cell towers? I attach a very good paper which I have posted before, in the hope that you will actually read it.

As for the general health burden of EMR, I don't have the time to look up all the stats for you right now. However, cancer rates are increasing in teens and young adults, early-onset dementia and Alzheimer's are well on the rise, acoustic neuromas (a type of benign tumor) are skyrocketing, asthma rates are up--and that's just for starters, because there are a great many health effects of EMR and people's health is being affected in many ways. You could, of course, do a bit of research for yourself.

As for screaming bloody murder, does it have to happen to you and yours before you decide to take this seriously? As it happens, a lot of people who are fighting against EMR started out that way--they, or a relative, got sick as a result of exposure to EMR (a brain tumor, or cancer, or some other form of damage). They probably didn't think about EMR either, till that happened. People have this amazing ability to ignore what doesn't affect them directly--if it happens to someone else, well, it's their problem, isn't it?

I hope you'll read the attached study. You keep on reading this thread, but if you don't read any of the studies and articles I post, how do you expect to understand the issues?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hensinger_Wilke_2016_umg_Engl.pdf (538.0 KB, 4 views)
Purple Heron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:02   #1511
Purple Heron
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 431
@ fugl (and everyone else)

1. If you haven't read Dr. Martin Pall's 90-page e-book (attached) on 5G, you should. At least read Chapter 7. We can quarrel about earlier wireless technologies later, but if 5G comes in--particularly global coverage of 5G from space--there may not be a world to quarrel about, or we might not be alive to quarrel about it.

2. In discussing the health burden of EMR, I forgot to mention diabetes, which is a huge and growing problem, representing a significant burden on health services everywhere. I attach a synopsis of Arthur Firstenberg's superbly research book, "The Invisible Rainbow" and direct your attention to pages 9-10 where he discusses diabetes. Amazing stuff!
Purple Heron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:35   #1512
elkcub
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
elkcub's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,395
Got it!
__________________
Understanding optics is child's play compared to understanding child's play.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts." Richard Feynman
elkcub is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google - this site may harm your computer ?? Kits Computers, Birding Software And The Internet 7 Saturday 31st January 2009 18:09
What birds can harm humans scuba0095 Birds & Birding 40 Friday 26th May 2006 19:09
Do feeders do more harm or good? cavan wood Garden Birds, Bird Feeding & Nestboxes 14 Tuesday 17th May 2005 15:19
The Living House, The Living Garden George Ordish Richard D Books, Magazines, Publications, Video & DVD 3 Tuesday 5th October 2004 14:59

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.24951100 seconds with 26 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31.