• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

VR or IS camera bodies? (1 Viewer)

Chris B.

Although I'm still planning on purchasing an astro scope for terrestrial photography (sometime in the next month or so), I'm curious as to whether it also makes some sense to invest in a camera body with VR (vibration reduction) or IS (image stabilization) built-in for specific use with the scope. I currently use Canon gear, specifically a 7D and a 40D as well as lenses which do have IS. Although I would use the new scope on a heavy-duty tripod, my experience in outdoor photography has shown me that every little bit of movement will affect the exposure. I suspect that even with higher ISOs, exposure times will still be lower than ideal.

I look forward to hearing your opinions on this... Thanks!

Chris

Think you really need mirror lock up Chris. Most conventional wisdom states that stabilisation should be switched off when tripod mounted. MLU means there's no vibration caused by mirror "slap" so should be a big help.

I suggest you try with the cameras you have now first. You may find you may not like using an astro scope as a supertelephoto lens at all. A heavy duty head/tripod and 1/800sec or faster shutter speeds will mitigate most mechanical vibration issues.

Both of you make good points. Thanks for the advice.

I would normally use mirror lock up in these situations and I expect to be using a remote cord to trigger the shutter anyway, so adding a VR body doesn't make much sense.

I plan to use my heavy duty Gitzo for the scope although I do plan on investing in a Manfrotto video (damped) head...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back