• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador Birding and Torrent Duck. (1 Viewer)

Chas 100

Does anyone know of a good site for Torrent Duck within a couple of hours of Quito Ecuador? I will be there in September, would like to photograph and add to my life list. Thanks in anticipation.

Does anyone know of a good site for Torrent Duck within a couple of hours of Quito Ecuador? I will be there in September, would like to photograph and add to my life list. Thanks in anticipation.

I saw one - my first - at Mindo a dozen years ago. There may be other sites more guaranteed but there are many, many good reasons to go to Mindo anyway. Can't remember many other places I've been to that have had a massive banner outside the town saying 'Welcome Birders'.

Guango is probably 100% guaranteed. I saw 3 just down the lodge easily and it seems many others did the same.

On the road between Guango and San Isidro lodges there was a small town. Not far outside town, the road ran right next to the river and a couple of Torrent Ducks were there. Apart from that, I can only support checking the species map in ebird for recent sightings.

Niels

I saw one - my first - at Mindo a dozen years ago. There may be other sites more guaranteed but there are many, many good reasons to go to Mindo anyway. Can't remember many other places I've been to that have had a massive banner outside the town saying 'Welcome Birders'.

Thank you. I am sure Mindo will be on my list to visit.

On the road between Guango and San Isidro lodges there was a small town. Not far outside town, the road ran right next to the river and a couple of Torrent Ducks were there. Apart from that, I can only support checking the species map in ebird for recent sightings.

Niels

Thank you, that is going to be very useful for me. Really appreciate it.

Mindo seems a big area, have you any other tips for birding there. I am a serious photographer, but I also don't like noisy hide situations where dozens of other birders congregate. Are there any sites to go to where it may be a little quieter but still offers good opportunities.

Mindo seems a big area, have you any other tips for birding there. I am a serious photographer, but I also don't like noisy hide situations where dozens of other birders congregate. Are there any sites to go to where it may be a little quieter but still offers good opportunities.

Hi. Mindo has upwards of a dozen restaurants with Hummingbird feeders that are active all day long dawn to dusk, rain or shine. At least 30-35 species in the area. There are walks north, east, west and south from town where you can be on your own for ages. Toucan Barbets, Cock-of-the-Rock, Swallow-tailed Kites, 4 species Toucan, Tanagers, Sunbittern etc etc I'll be away from my laptop a few days but will be happy to provide further info on return.

Hi. Mindo has upwards of a dozen restaurants with Hummingbird feeders that are active all day long dawn to dusk, rain or shine. At least 30-35 species in the area. There are walks north, east, west and south from town where you can be on your own for ages. Toucan Barbets, Cock-of-the-Rock, Swallow-tailed Kites, 4 species Toucan, Tanagers, Sunbittern etc etc I'll be away from my laptop a few days but will be happy to provide further info on return.

Cheers and a big thank you. That's so useful for me and very helpful,
when you get back on your laptop, I would be very grateful for any more tips and advice.

Cheers and a big thank you. That's so useful for me and very helpful,
when you get back on your laptop, I would be very grateful for any more tips and advice.

Apologies. I've only just remembered I offered further help on this thread. I note it's now September and you're probably in Ecuador right now? Hope you are having a great time.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back