• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Microphone? (1 Viewer)

bowlingo

Hello..I apologise my query isnt technically about recording wildlife but I believe this to be a very good place to ask...

I am someone who bought my first house at the beginning of last year and the next door is council owned (semi). Unfortunately the nice lady next door died at the end of last year and the council have moved in neighbours from hell and me and the wife are going through utter terror with problems we have been having with the new tenants for the last 6 months. I am trying to build a case against said neighbours....the local councils environmental health team and enforcement officers are a joke for example they will only come out between 10pm - 2am on Fridays and Saturdays and it is our word against there's due to us being the only people it effects due to our location and am looking to install a microphone in my back garden in order to keep a log of the excessive music and shouting, swearing and abuse that I am hearing across my garden (some directed at my wife when she sits in the sun)

I am going to have to somehow conceal the mic and have it so it records to a laptop of which sections can be sliced out and also contain date/time stamps. I am wondering if you have any ideas on a good mic that can pick up around 5 metres + and that can either be concealed within a box with the front cut out so they cant look out there window or over there fence and see it or perhaps a spy microphone?

Thanks
Alex

perhaps a spy microphone?

Don't buy anything prefixed by spy. The wannabe 007 tax is about 500%.

Stick your mike in a enclosure covered with black weed control matting or white garden fleece. That is sound permeable and visually opaque but reduces wind noise no end. Obviously keep the rain off it too.

Use a standard omni. Laptop and computer mic inputs are nonstandard and usually noisy as hell, though a standard computer mic is probably good enough to record swearing chavs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back