• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Update on Tad (My Ladybird) (1 Viewer)

Silvershark

Though some of you might be interested in how my temporary room-mate is doing...

Tad is doing very well. He isn't hibernating like a good ladybird should be, there's no where in the house cold enough for him to hibernate (didn't want to put him in the shed over fears of a hard winter which hasn't actually happened!), and he spends a surprising amount of time eating! If anyone has ever wondered if ladybirds are actually interested in ladybird food I can confirm that they do find it edible, Tad spends hours eating away. I've watched him eating, and seen him drinking! He knows where his food and water is too. I'm not sure, but he seems to have gained a bit of weight as well, he isn't as small as he was when I first found him, he's bigger than an apple pip now ;) Should give him a boost in spring hopefully.

As for Tad's release...he'll be set free into the garden in March, weather dependant. Hopefully he will find himself a lady ladybird and make baby ladybirds that can fill the garden and keep those aphids at bay!

Good to hear that Tad is doing well. I have a bit of a similar situation. I was given a caterpillar 2 weeks ago.

Yes, a FREE caterpillar. Please keep your jealousy to minimum levels! :) I believe the chances of getting a FREE caterpillar in January in Ohio are astronomical. Probably the statistics don't even exist for this rarest of events.

Chances would be better to win a huge amount of money in a lottery drawing but I was born under a lucky star. I won the caterpillar lottery! LOL!!! His name is Heimlich, after the character in the movie Bug's Life. He is happily munching on my banana plants. I don't know what kind of caterpillar is my now chubby Heimlich.

~~SIGH~~ The crazy things I do, ehh?

C3D

Hi Kat,

So pleased to read more about Tad, though to see he's still safe and living healthily with you - as well as gaining in weight - was marvellous! Well done for you!

Hi Lydia....or should that be Heimlich? Never quite sure who's doing the posts in a house such as yours!!!

Take care ALL of you!

Sue

Hi Sue.

:'D We actually did think of doing a "Heimlich Diaries" but obviously it would be funnier than the diary of our beloved Who. Then we thought that we surely would be run out of the forum for having "gone over the edge." :-O

Lydia

Hi Kat and Lydia.

You're a crazy pair, but we love you for it. Anything that helps to lift one's spirits in miserable, grey January is alright by me.

All the best to you both.
Baz.

I am really pleased about your ladybird. It is so lovely to hear of someone with the time, patience and compassion to look after a ladybird. I was given a ladybird house + food for Christmas and originally thought that the right time to put it outside would be Spring. I wonder if it ought to go out now. Any thoughts on the subject?

Bridie

Hi Lydia,

I'll bet your Heimlich isn't as chubby as Kermit (see below). Found him in the middle of a shopping precinct at the end of August, took him home and gave him the run of the garden; never seen either him (?) or the moth since.

Bill

Attachments

• DS privet hawk-moth caterpillar 2.jpg
    DS privet hawk-moth caterpillar 2.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 79
bill moss said:
Hi Lydia,

I'll bet your Heimlich isn't as chubby as Kermit (see below). Found him in the middle of a shopping precinct at the end of August, took him home and gave him the run of the garden; never seen either him (?) or the moth since.

Bill

Hi Bill :hi: , I know him well!
We've all often talked over the years on this and t'other board about passing on our knowledge to youngsters :bounce: . This is a perfect example of why we should because I can remember so clearly my dad taking me out to the privet hedge in the front garden to show me a Kermit. He was so fat and so green and purple and stripey! I can also remember being called from bed to go into the garden to see a glow worm and (unheard of these days, I'm sure,) being taken out of the classroom at primary school to see a mouse nest which the groundsman had unearthed while digging. I wonder if the other kids were as impressed as I was? :D
Needless to say these are just a few of many wonderful revelations I remember.

By the way, any ideas as to how Kermit came to be in the town centre? :h?:

Bridie said:
I am really pleased about your ladybird. It is so lovely to hear of someone with the time, patience and compassion to look after a ladybird. I was given a ladybird house + food for Christmas and originally thought that the right time to put it outside would be Spring. I wonder if it ought to go out now. Any thoughts on the subject?

Bridie

Hi Bridie,

I think I'd have to put it out now, just in case anyone finding a Ladybird indoors (near you) is tempted to make it go out! We had one in our bedroom all through last winter and it was awake more than asleep, but never flew off until February/March time.

So...just in case there are any looking for B&B and shelter which is paramount, why not give it a try. Good luck for whenever you do it.

Sue

bill moss said:
Hi Lydia,

Bill

:cool: ! I knew we had more in common than our appreciation of starlings and other birds, Bill! No, I must admit that Heimlich is svelte compared to your Kermit. They are a different species, as Heimlich is mostly brown with some black stripes and spots.

I worry about him though as I turned him loose in the tropical plants. He can eat whatever he want to eat. I hope he has mercy on the orchids that are spiking and will soon bloom, but if that is on his menu, who am I to turn him away from the buffet. Hopefully Heimlich will remain in the area where the plants are kept and does not get the wander lust and go to visit the aviary. I am sure that Kramer would be delighted to meet him! :eat:

Yes, I freely admit I am a bit crazy but harmless!

Kindest regards to all!

Lydia

Hi Kat,

Apologies for hijacking your thread. By the way, are you sure that Tad is a native species? Why I ask is that there are some Continental invaders that apparently are a threat to our native types; the foreign ones are called 'Harlequin' Ladybirds because of their different colouring. If you're not sure go to

www.uksafari.com/ladybirdharlequin2.htm

Bill

Hi Rose,

Kermit was crawling around on the pavement quite close to a small Ash tree (the precinct has various types of trees planted around). Apart from anything else he was a prime candidate for a big boot. I was going to try putting him back in the tree (not easy) but I wanted to know what species he was first so I took him to meet the local expert, who runs the Ironmongery. He said that it was a Privet Hawk-Moth (as you knew) and from the colour (don't ask) was ready to dig it's way underground and pupate.

It wouldn't have had a chance to get underground in the precinct, all the tree bases are surrounded by grills filled with gravel, so I took him home and put him among the leaf litter on soft earth. They feed on Privet, Lilac, and Ash so if it does transmogrify it should be OK as next door one side has a large Lilac, the other side a massive Privet hedge, and there are Ash shoots all over the hedge in the Lane.

As I say, I've seen nothing of him since but wouldn't really expect to, I'm not a 'lamp-hunter'. It was just one of those interesting things that you find now and then.

Hope all is well down in Dover, haven't heard from t'other for a bit, how's her Green Man doing?

Bill.

Yo C3D,

I shall expect a photo of whatever your lodger turns into. Keep it away from the Orchids (and from Kramer).

Bill.

bill moss said:
Hi Kat,

Apologies for hijacking your thread. By the way, are you sure that Tad is a native species? Why I ask is that there are some Continental invaders that apparently are a threat to our native types; the foreign ones are called 'Harlequin' Ladybirds because of their different colouring. If you're not sure go to

www.uksafari.com/ladybirdharlequin2.htm

Bill

No problem Bill, Tad is a native two-spot ladybird, not a harleqin. I know what the harlequin looks like, if I spot one it will most certainly be removed from its habitat ;)

I'm thinking of making a little ladybird "feeder" to put outside in the garden now for the spring. I feed the birds why not the ladybirds? And there are already butterfly feeders...

Hi Kat
I would be interested to know how to make a ladybird feeder. Never seen one in any of the wildlife books I have. We have several butterfly feeders, namely very large buddleia bushes which are liberally sprinkled with peacocks, small torties and red admirals in the summer.

Keith Dickinson said:
Hi Kat
I would be interested to know how to make a ladybird feeder. Never seen one in any of the wildlife books I have. We have several butterfly feeders, namely very large buddleia bushes which are liberally sprinkled with peacocks, small torties and red admirals in the summer.

Hello Keith

My ladybird house has food with it so presumably it is also a feeder. It seems to be just a log with small holes drilled in it and the food is a powder that I mix with water and smear in some of the holes. I'm sure you could easily make one for yourself,

I shall put it out tomorrow and hope for a ladybird.

Good luck to Tad

Bridie

Silvershark said:
No problem Bill, Tad is a native two-spot ladybird, not a harleqin. I know what the harlequin looks like, if I spot one it will most certainly be removed from its habitat ;)

I'm thinking of making a little ladybird "feeder" to put outside in the garden now for the spring. I feed the birds why not the ladybirds? And there are already butterfly feeders...
Hi Silvershark :hi:
I've been trying to avoid this thread but I couldn't resist Bill's photo of the privet hawk moth. :brains:
I posted weeks ago about my friends with the guest house, their resident ladybirds and my concerns as to their welfare while the house was closed over Christmas and the New Year.
In the end there seemed to be no problem 'cos they all disappeared while the room was let for 3 days.
Unfortunately the mystery was solved recently when the globe light shade above the bed was dusted. A great number of dead ladybirds fell out. I presume they were seekng heat.
Any ladybirds I find indoors, anywhere, in future I shall put out.
By the way, what is the ladybird food you are feeding it please?

roosmum said:
Hi Silvershark :hi:
I've been trying to avoid this thread but I couldn't resist Bill's photo of the privet hawk moth. :brains:
I posted weeks ago about my friends with the guest house, their resident ladybirds and my concerns as to their welfare while the house was closed over Christmas and the New Year.
In the end there seemed to be no problem 'cos they all disappeared while the room was let for 3 days.
Unfortunately the mystery was solved recently when the globe light shade above the bed was dusted. A great number of dead ladybirds fell out. I presume they were seekng heat.
Any ladybirds I find indoors, anywhere, in future I shall put out.
By the way, what is the ladybird food you are feeding it please?

Actual ladybird food - the stuff you can get from the wildlife catalogues. Not a nice story about the ladybirds in your friends guest house though :( I wonder what caused them to die off like that? Were your friends sure they were dead because living ladybirds do a great impression of pretending to be dead!

Keith Dickinson said:
Hi Kat

It's called making it up as I go along! I have a little shallow plastic thing that would be good for putting food in, I'll see if I can attach it to the trellis or something and use that as a little feeder :'D

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back