• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 x nn SV recommendations (1 Viewer)

I don't know Dennis - have you tried the SLC 10x56 ?! That is an awesome binocular.
It is also a brick !
I have looked through this a few times - 1, I was like where's the Wow? 2nd time - I was like - ok this is nice, and the 3rd time I was like Wow there's the clarity !
Not viable hand held I don't think unless you are a hairy chested Marlboro Man!
I love my 10x56, and totally understand this sequence. The initial impression can be underwhelming because the FOV is merely typical, and you wonder why you're holding all that weight. Then something about it really starts to impress you, even in daylight, and that big exit pupil makes for easy viewing.

Tom,

8X32 - FL, EDG,SE
8X42 - NV, EDG
10X42 - SE,EDG
10X50 - UVHD+, SV
12X50 - SV and UVHD, the SE is nice also
15X56 - SLC -15X56
8X56 - FL
10X56 - FL and SLC - The FL is a more refined and made glass IMO, beats the SLC with glare hands down, the only thing I like the SLC better for is astro, more sharp at the edge.

I guess I can't have only one. By the way the MHG 8X42 is my favorite grab and go glass it is truly so easy to use.

Andy W.

I love my 10x56, and totally understand this sequence. The initial impression can be underwhelming because the FOV is merely typical, and you wonder why you're holding all that weight. Then something about it really starts to impress you, even in daylight, and that big exit pupil makes for easy viewing.
I noticed that on my 8x56 SLC's JUST before my arms gave out!:-O

I don't think Nikon is going to come out with anything to replace the EDG because I don't think they sold that many. People just don't want to pay big bucks for a Nikon like they will for a Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica no matter how good they are.

Isn't it funny how this view persists? In photography Nikon laid to rest the German invincibility myth back in Korean War days when David Douglas Duncan used Nikon glass on his rangefinder cameras, particularly an 85mm lens, and photojournalists were bowled over by the results. Certainly till the advent of digital, when Canon came to the fore, Nikon was the top-selling professional 35mm purchase.

Tom,

8X32 - FL, EDG,SE
8X42 - NV, EDG
10X42 - SE,EDG
10X50 - UVHD+, SV
12X50 - SV and UVHD, the SE is nice also
15X56 - SLC -15X56
8X56 - FL
10X56 - FL and SLC - The FL is a more refined and made glass IMO, beats the SLC with glare hands down, the only thing I like the SLC better for is astro, more sharp at the edge.

I guess I can't have only one. By the way the MHG 8X42 is my favorite grab and go glass it is truly so easy to use.

Andy W.

Andy, actually this is more informative than if you'd just listed one of each. I can see where the competition is and from different design priorities too (like UVHD against SV). Going to try some SVs and SLCs today; have found a place where they have almost all of them in stock to try out. Trying a few 10s will leave me a lot more confident in how to proceed, if at all. Spoilt for choice, which is a good thing when not rushing in. Especially as all the top marques seem to have great options in the 10x range.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back