• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID - Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

Jayefbee

Hi,

Was looking through some old photos and found this singe picture of a warbler taken on 25th March 2011.

Looks to me like it may be a Savi's Warbler but undertail looks quite well marked.

Can anyone with experience of this speices shed some light on this ID.

Thanks
JFB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Birds of Saudi Arabia
www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_8563_-_copy.jpg
    rsz_dsc_8563_-_copy.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 113
Hi,

Was looking through some old photos and found this singe picture of a warbler taken on 25th March 2011.

Looks to me like it may be a Savi's Warbler but undertail looks quite well marked.

Can anyone with experience of this speices shed some light on this ID.

Thanks
JFB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Birds of Saudi Arabia

I think you are right i Savi's based on undertail coverts, clean chest and overall colour (if one could have seen supercill. it would (hopefully) not been any clear superc. there ;)

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=39681

I think you are right i Savi's based on undertail coverts, clean chest and overall colour (if one could have seen supercill. it would (hopefully) not been any clear superc. there ;)

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=39681

Manne,

Thanks for the confirmation and link to a slightly better photo than mine.

One question I have is, is the 25th March early for Savi's Warbler here in Saudi Arabia (east coast) as there is little data. Could anyone who has them breeding in their countries let me know when they arrive back so I can try to work out the timing of the species through here. I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this so appologies if it is not.

Thanks
JFB

Birds of Saudi Arabia

You're welcome!

End of march can't be to early for SW in S.Arabia. In Israel it is an regular migrant early april. So i would say end of march is within range for Savi's migration.

Take care !

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back