• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steppe Eagle - Do they summer in Arabia (1 Viewer)

Jayefbee

I have posted a note on Steppe Buzzard - Do they summer in Arabia? on my website www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com if you are interested in my findings. Also if you disagree or find any mistakes please let me know. There are additional photographs of the species taken in Saudi Arabia of the bird on the ground on the website.

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_1633[1].jpg
    rsz_dsc_1633[1].jpg
    363 KB · Views: 74
This is definately a Steppe Buzzard., not so easy from a single photo but the link to my website has quite a few others plus flight shots. See additional pictures here and other pictures on my website www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com and http://www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com/2011/06/steppe-buzzard.html

The bird is a second calender year bird due to its pale eye and heavy streaked breast, but it has a well marked trailing edge to the wing similar in nature to that of an adult (which is not that uncommon on 2cy birds but not shown often in the fielf guides).

JFB

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_1565[1].jpg
    rsz_dsc_1565[1].jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 50
  • rsz_dsc_1647[1].jpg
    rsz_dsc_1647[1].jpg
    291 KB · Views: 51
ah, flight shots !

I was trying to think of an alternative as you didn't sound very confident that Steppe Buzzard should even be there, which to me implied it might not be one

it was actually the link through to the other shots on the deck that made me wonder about BK, as the bird looks a lot sleaker in photos 1 and 3. The primaries also look quite long which was leading me toward BK. Not a bird I've seen a lot of, or even taken a great deal of notice of even when presented with them in large numbers

I would actually be interested in seeing one of these rufous BKs from the Arabian peninsula just for comparison's sake

haven't you kind of answered your own question ? if you're sure it's a Steppe Buzzard, and it's midsummer, then some of them do summer in Arabia, no ?

Sorry - maybe the title is misleading. This note (full details at www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com) was a question I asked myself and have since answered after quite a bit of research. The bird in question is a Steppe Buzzard and it was a very late record - hence I asked myself - does it summer in Arabia?

Information I recieved from Israel and other data from Dick Forsman (pers comm.) said it is not unusual for young birds like the one I saw to have a delayed spring migration. This strongly suggests that the bird I saw was a late migrant, probably a bird that has wintered in Saudi Arabia, rather than a bird that may choose to summer or need to summer, due to injury or sickness. It did not look sick or injured in any way, but this remains a possibility due to the late date of the sighting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back