• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NYS chirping - rodent or bird? (1 Viewer)

mmmarie

Hello all,
Novice here, with a microphone installed in my backyard in Albany, NY, USA.
I have included two audio clips that I suspect are probably chipmunk sounds, but I wanted to be sure.

The first clip occurs throughout the morning and afternoon and I have recorded it frequently from Aug.-Nov. of 2019. The second clip occurs frequently at similar times of day but I have only recorded samples of it from Apr.-July 2020.

They sound quite similar, but when I look at spectrograms of each sound, they look quite different to me. The second sound has a spectrogram that very loosely resembles that of a female downy woodpecker, which made me wonder if one of these two sounds could possibly be some bird chirp that I was confusing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• audio1.wav
    689.1 KB · Views: 20
  • audio2.wav
    689.1 KB · Views: 15
  • spec1.jpg
    spec1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 10
  • spec2.jpg
    spec2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 7
Thank you! This is what I thought too, but it always amazes me the variety of sounds they make. I really appreciate your time.

NYC Central Park, especially the northern part, is overrun with chipmunks.
That makes it easy to learn the rapid 'chip chip chip.....' call of our chipmunks.
Once learned, it will no longer be a confusing issue.
Of course, no guarantees are offered for the multiplicity of other small rodent noises.....

There is probably some solid science that relates sound frequency to body size, but I don't know it. Still it seems intuitive that little creatures make higher frequency sound. There is wonderful research getting done on the larger topic of how animals share the sonic spectrum and how analysis of the latter helps identify possible damage to the ecosystem.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back