• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July 2018 (1 Viewer)

Very nice Rosaria.

Relatively quiet here given the good weather, but a nice little lifer for me next to my front door:

Least Carpet Idaea rusticata

robhope

UK Leps 495 (Least Carpet)
UK Plants 447 (Yellow Bird's-nest)
UK Birds 237

Attachments

• Least Carpet.JPG
    Least Carpet.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 24
I had Least Carpet in my garden the other day. Quite common in the London area these days. Also becoming more widespread here these days is the sublime Jersey Tiger which I had my first of the season yesterday, but not yet in my garden.

My second night out properly this year on Friday night with 215+ species to 9 lights at a local nature reserve including four patch ticks - Dark Spectacle, Kent Black Arches, Monochroa palustrella and Prochoreutis myllerana. The latter is like a small dark spangly Nettle-tap and the second photo shows one alongside a Nettle-tap.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Dark Specatcle 0001.jpg
    Dark Specatcle 0001.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Kent Black Arches 0001.jpg
    Kent Black Arches 0001.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Monochroa palustrella 002.jpg
    Monochroa palustrella 002.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Prochoreutis myllerana 003.jpg
    Prochoreutis myllerana 003.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Prochoreutis myllerana alongside Nettle Tap 002.jpg
    Prochoreutis myllerana alongside Nettle Tap 002.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 36
The site is an interesting one with wetland species and damp grassland with for us locally species that occur on few other sites. Macros include Double Kidney, Scallop Shell, Double Lobed, Brown-veined Wainscot, Suspected, Dingy Shell, Silky Wainscot, Chevron, etc.

Pics of Brown-veined Wainscot, Double Kidney, Dusky Sallow, Lunar-spotted Pinion and Suspected.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Brown-veined Wainscot 001.jpg
    Brown-veined Wainscot 001.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Double Kidney 001.jpg
    Double Kidney 001.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Dusky Sallow 001.jpg
    Dusky Sallow 001.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Lunar-spotted Pinion 001.jpg
    Lunar-spotted Pinion 001.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Suspected 001.jpg
    Suspected 001.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 27
A nice mix of micros present and a few pics here - Acleris emargana, Acrobasis marmorea, Batrachedra praeangustana and Evergestis pallidata.

The garden has been quite quiet in comparison with Campion (pic attached) probably the most interesting.

Moths are wandering and Hoary Footman and Fenn Wainscot have both been recorded in local traps over the weekend.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Acleris emargana 001.JPG
    Acleris emargana 001.JPG
    830.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Acrobasis marmorea 001.jpg
    Acrobasis marmorea 001.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Batrachedra praeangustana 002.jpg
    Batrachedra praeangustana 002.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Evergestis pallidata 001.jpg
    Evergestis pallidata 001.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Campion 001.jpg
    Campion 001.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 23
Some great moths and pictures as usual Paul!
Seems like there are a lot less big macros around than I would expect given the weather.

Robhope

Still quiet, especially with the weather change, but a lifer for me this morning:

Gypsy Moth Lymantria dispar

robhope

UK Leps 496 (Gypsy Moth)
UK Plants 448 (Flowering-rush)
UK Birds 237

Attachments

• Gypsy Moth.JPG
    Gypsy Moth.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 29
Male Gypsy Moths seem really abundant in the parts of west London recently. Often 2 or 3 flying erratically around the garden+ seeing them most places I visit.

Another Nottingham garden tick for me to see out an eventful July, a scarce moth in Notts.

Maiden's Blush.

Attachments

• P8010780.JPG
    P8010780.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 25
Another quality moth, rounds of a superb week for me in Nottingham during which I've had three new species for the garden including a County first.

Angle-striped Sallow

Attachments

• rsz_p8020792.jpg
    rsz_p8020792.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Rob

Post 7 (16.07.18) - I think that you are right. I compared my list from 13.07.18 from a similar effort at the same site on 20.07.13. This time, I recorded 224 species whereas in 2013, I recorded 248 species. Having finally compared the lists, the main difference was in noctuids with 52 species to 65 species in 2013.

All the best

Rob

Post 7 (16.07.18) - I think that you are right. I compared my list from 13.07.18 from a similar effort at the same site on 20.07.13. This time, I recorded 224 species whereas in 2013, I recorded 248 species. Having finally compared the lists, the main difference was in noctuids with 52 species to 65 species in 2013.

All the best

I'm finding that many common moth species are massivley down in numbers at my place in Notts.

Large Yellow Underwing, Rustic / Uncertain, Garden Carpet, Heart and Dart, Bright-line Brown-eye are just a few with numbers well below normal.

Last edited:
My highlights for the balance of July from the garden were an Antler, a Hoary Footman (picture alongside Common Footman), Jersey Tiger and various Garden Tigers.

Hoping to get back out into habitat tonight to get August underway.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Antler 003.JPG
    Antler 003.JPG
    573.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Unidentified Footman.jpg
    Unidentified Footman.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 18
  • Tigers.jpg
    Tigers.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Jersey Tiger 002.JPG
    Jersey Tiger 002.JPG
    731.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Garden Tiger.jpg
    Garden Tiger.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 17
My highlights for the balance of July from the garden were an Antler, a Hoary Footman (picture alongside Common Footman), Jersey Tiger and various Garden Tigers.

Hoping to get back out into habitat tonight to get August underway.

All the best

Paul

Pic 3 Paul, Ruby Tiger has been unusually abundant here.

Andy

Yes. More than normal. Of course, it is all about the timing of weather patterns at critical times in the life cycle.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back