Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Divers

Old Monday 30th December 2013, 15:53   #1
astley

Divers

Hi All

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Divers, and looking for basic info on where they breed etc.

In the last couple of weeks I have been lucky enough to see a Great Northern at Draycote Water, and a Black Throated at Swithland res. What has struck me more than anything is their apparent tameness, both Divers appeared very close to the Dam wall and could be viewed very clearly without the need for optics.

Yesterday there must have been a good 30 birders watching the Diver and he was within 20 feet and totally oblivious to his 5 minutes of fame.

Is their tameness down to the fact they have regular human contact, or is human contact rare to them so they do not fear the humans clicking away.

Either that or I have just been really lucky to have got so close to my first Divers.
Old Monday 30th December 2013, 16:17   #2
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by astley View Post
Hi All

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Divers, and looking for basic info on where they breed etc.

In the last couple of weeks I have been lucky enough to see a Great Northern at Draycote Water, and a Black Throated at Swithland res. What has struck me more than anything is their apparent tameness, both Divers appeared very close to the Dam wall and could be viewed very clearly without the need for optics.

Yesterday there must have been a good 30 birders watching the Diver and he was within 20 feet and totally oblivious to his 5 minutes of fame.

Is their tameness down to the fact they have regular human contact, or is human contact rare to them so they do not fear the humans clicking away.

Either that or I have just been really lucky to have got so close to my first Divers.
First-winter birds are often very confiding because breeding in the far North they have little contact with humans. After that the experiences they have colour their behaviour. This winter there seem to be plenty of confiding divers around - very nice too.

John
Old Monday 30th December 2013, 16:30   #3
coal tit
COAL TIT

In derbyshire at carsington reservoir in recent times we have been getting upto 4 great northern divers adults and immatures in the winter some of these birds remaining into springtime they seem to like it here.
Old Monday 30th December 2013, 17:22   #4
Zheljko

Once I saw some teenagers throwing a rock at one of these birds, right next to the bank. "Hey, I hit a duck!"
Then they were away for a decade or so (scared away?). I saw them again this winter. Fortunately, level of awareness about birds off riverbank has significantly risen in the meantime, thanks to swans; last winter a large flock of swans appeared and people flocked to feed them, getting accustomed to all waterbirds in the process.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: