Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Passerines, Panama

Old Monday 3rd February 2020, 20:38   #1
michalb

Passerines, Panama

Ok, so here's probably the last batch of questions from this winter's Central American trip.

First bird is just for confirmation, as I'm pretty convinced that it's a Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus). Is it right?
Location: rainforest edge near Wizard Beach, Bastimentos Island, Bocas del Toro islands in north-western Panama
Date: 15.01.2020

The bird in the other two photos is probably a wood-warbler, but which one? I can't find any which is so featureless. Or maybe it's something else?
Location: rainforest above Old Bank Town, Bastimentos Island, Bocas del Toro islands in north-western Panama
Date: 15.01.2020

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muchołap.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	717188  Click image for larger version

Name:	lasówka Bastimentos1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	717189  Click image for larger version

Name:	lasówka Bastimentos2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	717190  
Old Monday 3rd February 2020, 20:44   #2
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

I can't help with the myiarchus but your warbler is a 1w/f type Yellow warbler

@axbridge_birder
Old Monday 3rd February 2020, 20:58   #3
michalb

Thanks Daniel!

Anyone to confirm (or not) the flycatcher?
Old Monday 3rd February 2020, 21:41   #4
Motmot
Eduardo Amengual

Great Crested feels good
Old Monday 3rd February 2020, 22:19   #5
Jefferson Shank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motmot View Post
Great Crested feels good
That is what I thought too.
Old Monday 3rd February 2020, 23:06   #6
njlarsen
Opus Editor

The yellow warbler could be either migratory northern form or local “mangrove warbler “, I am not sure
Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th February 2020, 20:24   #7
michalb

Thanks guys!

Niels, I think both are possible in this time and place and it seems immature females are rather difficult to separate. Anyway, "mangrove warbler" and "regular yellow" from the north aren't even subspecies, right?
Old Tuesday 4th February 2020, 23:36   #8
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalb View Post
Thanks guys!

Niels, I think both are possible in this time and place and it seems immature females are rather difficult to separate. Anyway, "mangrove warbler" and "regular yellow" from the north aren't even subspecies, right?
They are full species according to IOC, and subspecies groups according to Clements

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 13:09   #9
pbjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
They are full species according to IOC, and subspecies groups according to Clements

Niels
And the situation is really quite complex, with some phenotypes not matching up with genetic divisions - particularly, some insular "Mangrove" warblers look remarkably like migratory northern breeding "Yellow" warblers. There is a fair argument for splitting out the migratory birds, though field identification isn't always as straightforward as one might like. The various resident populations (ie, "Mangrove" warblers) are quite complex phenotypically / genetically.

If anyone cares for more reading, the (failed) 2018 proposal to NACC to split out the migrant birds is quite informative as to the current understanding of everything:

http://checklist.aou.org/assets/prop...PDF/2018-C.pdf

Committee members' comments can be read here:

http://checklist.aou.org/nacc/propos....html#2018-C-2

Cheers,
Josh
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 13:43   #10
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
And the situation is really quite complex, with some phenotypes not matching up with genetic divisions - particularly, some insular "Mangrove" warblers look remarkably like migratory northern breeding "Yellow" warblers. There is a fair argument for splitting out the migratory birds, though field identification isn't always as straightforward as one might like. The various resident populations (ie, "Mangrove" warblers) are quite complex phenotypically / genetically.

If anyone cares for more reading, the (failed) 2018 proposal to NACC to split out the migrant birds is quite informative as to the current understanding of everything:

http://checklist.aou.org/assets/prop...PDF/2018-C.pdf

Committee members' comments can be read here:

http://checklist.aou.org/nacc/propos....html#2018-C-2

Cheers,
Josh
I thought 'Mangrove' Warbler were named after their preffered habitat and were restricted to the coast for that reason?
Old Wednesday 5th February 2020, 15:59   #11
THE_FERN

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I thought 'Mangrove' Warbler were named after their preffered habitat and were restricted to the coast for that reason?
Flippant reply: but if we can't tell them apart, how do we know they're restricted to mangroves?
Old Thursday 6th February 2020, 08:40   #12
Sherpa
Common English name Paul Willoughby

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FERN View Post
Flippant reply: but if we can't tell them apart, how do we know they're restricted to mangroves?
You would have a fair idea in the breeding season when Mangrove Warblers are on territory and Yellow Warblers are up north.

You can also consider how many sightings of adult male Mangrove Warblers there are away from their preferred habitat at any time of year.

Of course, wandering immature Mangrove Warblers could remain undetected. And Yellow Warblers wintering in mangroves are a very real possibility, even though most of them will be chased off by territorial Mangrove Warblers.

Last edited by Sherpa : Thursday 6th February 2020 at 08:44.
Old Thursday 6th February 2020, 09:21   #13
THE_FERN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
You would have a fair idea in the breeding season when Mangrove Warblers are on territory and Yellow Warblers are up north.

You can also consider how many sightings of adult male Mangrove Warblers there are away from their preferred habitat at any time of year.

Of course, wandering immature Mangrove Warblers could remain undetected. And Yellow Warblers wintering in mangroves are a very real possibility, even though most of them will be chased off by territorial Mangrove Warblers.
So the important time is clearly winter when both are in the same country. I don't know about the territoriality of this/these species, but wonder how territorial they are likely to be at this time of year. In other words, unless there are unusual circumstances, I'm not sure you can confidently ID them in winter (unless there are ringing studies, I'm not clear we even know that residents stay in the mangroves then... You can't assume that a species which breeds in one habitat spends the winter there)

[Edit: a scan read of the SACC proposal put me in mind of the big white-headed gulls of n. hemisphere where I get the impression (from v superficial reading) that the DNA evidence is pretty poor, there's extensive hybridisation etc etc but now Caspian and others are accepted species. I keep saying that taxonomy will never be anything other than subjective and we should make our own informed decisions about what we believe]

Last edited by THE_FERN : Thursday 6th February 2020 at 09:32.
Old Thursday 6th February 2020, 12:10   #14
Sherpa
Common English name Paul Willoughby

Just be satisfied with identifying the nice adult males.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: