Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leica Ultravd HD's

Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 20:33   #1
paulwfromtheden

Leica Ultravd HD's

I have been contacted by Leica to purchase a pair of the new 8x42 HD's at a reduced price.
I am very tempted, but before I take the plunge, can anyone tell me if the HD's are going to be a noticable improvement on my 'non-HD' 8x42 Ultravids?
Ta
Paul
Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 20:55   #2
BobTag
Registered Member

Paul - check out the other threads in this section, you'll see the arguments, especially the "new Ultravids are coming" thread...

This question has been discussed a few times there best, and on the other threads...
Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 21:29   #3
paulwfromtheden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTag View Post
Paul - check out the other threads in this section, you'll see the arguments, especially the "new Ultravids are coming" thread...

This question has been discussed a few times there best, and on the other threads...
Ta, will do
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 06:26   #4
POP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwfromtheden View Post
Ta, will do
The price they are offering you would have a good buy anyway.

POP
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 12:01   #5
paulwfromtheden

Quote:
Originally Posted by POP View Post
The price they are offering you would have a good buy anyway.

POP
Yes, have gone for it. 750 is too good an offer to pass up!! I can always flog them on ebay and probably make a profit!!

I will have a pair of second-hand 'non-HD' 8x42 Ultravids for sale soon if anyone is interested!!
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 12:58   #6
Perry Grin

Quote:
I have been contacted by Leica to purchase a pair of the new 8x42 HD's at a reduced price.
I am very tempted, but before I take the plunge, can anyone tell me if the HD's are going to be a noticable improvement on my 'non-HD' 8x42 Ultravids?
Ta
Paul
Hi Paul,

Hope you don't mind me asking (just being nosey!) - how come Leica offered you a discounted price?
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 13:05   #7
paulwfromtheden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Grin View Post
Hi Paul,

Hope you don't mind me asking (just being nosey!) - how come Leica offered you a discounted price?
Not 100% sure!!
I have bought a few accessories (lens caps - scope cover etc) from Leica recently, so must have found my name onto a mailing list!!
Paul
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 13:11   #8
mak
Registered Member

Quote:
Not 100% sure!!
I have bought a few accessories (lens caps - scope cover etc) from Leica recently, so must have found my name onto a mailing list!!
Paul
Paul.
I do hope that I am wrong, but are you sure that the offer is for the new HD's, it sounds like the NON HD version?

Good luck anyway.

mak

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 4th February 2008, 13:41   #9
Drumming Sniper
You'm not from 'round 'ere, boy!

About a week ago I received a mailshot from Leica offering special deals on some of their binoculars. I've binned the letter now but from memory I think the deals applied to some ex-demo Trinovid and non-HD Ultravids. I didn't read the thing all that closely so I could be wrong but it might be worth checking the details of the offer.

Regards,

DS
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 14:12   #10
Nick Elliston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumming Sniper View Post
About a week ago I received a mailshot from Leica offering special deals on some of their binoculars. I've binned the letter now but from memory I think the deals applied to some ex-demo Trinovid and non-HD Ultravids. I didn't read the thing all that closely so I could be wrong but it might be worth checking the details of the offer.

Regards,

DS
I received this as well. Non HD Ultravids, virtually new at a good discount but offer only open until 8 Feb. I have ordered the 832.
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 14:39   #11
paulwfromtheden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumming Sniper View Post

Regards,

DS
I have the letter in front of me and it is for ex-demo HD's. 100% optically perfect etc, etc, full passport, warranty, A1 new condition etc, etc.
Anyway, the helpful lady at Leica said in answer to my question that I am entitled to a full refund if not entirely etc, etc.
Paul
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 14:43   #12
paulwfromtheden

Quote:
I have the letter in front of me and it is for ex-demo HD's. 100% optically perfect etc, etc, full passport, warranty, A1 new condition etc, etc.
Anyway, the helpful lady at Leica said in answer to my question that I am entitled to a full refund if not entirely etc, etc.
Paul
I'm a plank.
I've just reread the letter.....yes, it's the pre HD models that I already own....
Doh!!
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 14:55   #13
Drumming Sniper

Quote:
I'm a plank.
I've just reread the letter.....yes, it's the pre HD models that I already own....
Doh!!
I was fairly sure that the offer applied to the non-HD bins but, as mentioned in my previous post, I didn't peruse the contents of the letter too closely so I wasn't 100% sure.

Still, it's just as well that it's all come to light before you parted with any dosh, although it sounds like Leica would have given you a refund anyway.

Somewhat bizarrely, I traded my Ultravids in for a pair of Trinovids - which I love. The only way I'll be giving those up is when they're prised from my cold, dead hands!

DS
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 18:10   #14
oldtomo50

YES THIS IS THE PRE HD i have just seen the letter one has been sent to a mate he asked if he should take up the offer for me as i m looking for binos prices as follows all ultravid the 8-32 660.......10-32 700.....8-42 750.......10-42 780........
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 18:27   #15
Perry Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtomo50 View Post
YES THIS IS THE PRE HD i have just seen the letter one has been sent to a mate he asked if he should take up the offer for me as i m looking for binos prices as follows all ultravid the 8-32 660.......10-32 700.....8-42 750.......10-42 780........
How much are the Trinovids going for? Might be worth a look.
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 18:28   #16
Perry Grin

Quote:
I'm a plank.
Doh!!
Whoops! Still sounds like a good deal - unless you already own a pair of course!
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 18:39   #17
oldtomo50

Quote:
How much are the Trinovids going for? Might be worth a look.
are the trinovids better whats the difference
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 18:45   #18
paulwfromtheden

Quote:
Whoops! Still sounds like a good deal - unless you already own a pair of course!
Yes, if I could afford a spare pair, I would go for it!
I'm sure the lady at Leica was convinced I was a bit simple, actually, come to think of it, she may have a point....
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 21:55   #19
oldtomo50

are they ???
Old Tuesday 5th February 2008, 07:42   #20
Perry Grin

Quote:
are they ???
I'm not an expert on Leica and their optics development but I think that the main differences are coatings, weight and ergonomics.

The trinovids are an older model than the Ultra's and so the Ultras bear these improvements and are considered 'better'. However each to their own. I tried both these models along side each other at Birdfair a couple of years back and could see little if any difference in the view (to my eye only, average light, bright but overcast day if I remember correctly). That's not to say that there aren't optical differences - many people do see differences between them - but I couldn't.

The main difference I found is the shape of the trinovids which are not to everyones liking and the weight. After several minutes handling I got quite comfortable with the trinovids and decided that if I was going to buy Leica I'd go for the Trinovids. I'm pretty sure that no-one would be disappointed with the Trinovids - especially if they are discounted as much as the ultravids seem to be.

That said there are many other attributes that make a binocular better - how the eye cups fit your face for example. As I am sure many have suggested, you must try them before you buy.

FWIW, I shortlisted the Nikon HG's, Swaro SLC's and Trinovids, I spent an hour or so comparing them (nothing scientific just swapping between them, looking at different subjects) and ended up buying Swaro's 10x42 SLC - they 'fitted' my hands and face much better!

Perry
Old Tuesday 5th February 2008, 08:32   #21
Drumming Sniper

Quote:
are they ???
The first pair of Leicas I owned were Trinovid 10x42BA. They were great bins but a bit on the heavy side. I eventually traded them in for a pair of Ultravid 8x42: the Ultravids were new on the market, they were noticeably lighter, I fancied a change etc. The net result was that I owned the Ultravids for three years and never really took to them. They didn't feel as comfortable in the hand, I could never get the eyecups to stay in the position I wanted and the rubber "crumb guard" was woeful. Things eventually came to a head when, during a birding trip to Holy Island, I picked up a pair of Trinovids belonging to a mate and they just felt great. Two weeks later I chopped the Ultravids in for a pair of Trinovid 8x32BN and I love'em. They have that classic "built like a tank" feel which I actually like but without the weight of the 42mm objective models and the optics are great. The Ultravids were probably a tad brighter (at least partly due to the larger objective lenses) but to my eyes the current bins give a slightly more true-to-life image.

At the end of the day, choosing the right binoculars is a personal thing: the 32mm Trinovids are right for me but ideally you have to try different pairs in order to find out what suits you best. By changing from Ultravids back to Trinovids I was apparently "downgrading" to an older (and less costly ) model but it worked for me. One thing to bear in mind though: I believe production of the Trinovids ceased a while ago so I'm not sure how many pairs will still be out there - although I'm sure there's bound to be a few around on the secondhand market.
Old Tuesday 5th February 2008, 09:50   #22
oldtomo50

thanks guys that has helped me a lot ........ ps all the 10x42 have gone
Old Thursday 7th February 2008, 04:42   #23
Akekeke

New HD Leica really new ? Maybe not!

Quote:
Yes, have gone for it. 750 is too good an offer to pass up!! I can always flog them on ebay and probably make a profit!!

I will have a pair of second-hand 'non-HD' 8x42 Ultravids for sale soon if anyone is interested!!
Rumour has it that the Techies at both Zeiss and Swarovski independently tore down the new HD Leica and found NO difference from previous Ultravids. Leica just branded their existing Ultravids as HD to raise the price. They have had HD glass in them already but never marketed it as such.
This should be easy to test because HD glass weighs more than non-HD. Can somebody weigh them both? As for the new hydrophobic coatings -- Zeiss and Swarovski also have this as a new coating.
Old Thursday 7th February 2008, 04:56   #24
Robert / Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akekeke View Post
Rumour has it that the Techies at both Zeiss and Swarovski independently tore down the new HD Leica and found NO difference from previous Ultravids. ...
Well it must be a rumor indeed -- because I'm far from from being a "techy" and found the differences between preHD and HD to be slight, but definitely noticeable. (see post #224 on: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....51#post1096051 ).

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 7th February 2008, 07:27   #25
ThoLa
Forum Member

Quote:
Rumour has it that the Techies at both Zeiss and Swarovski....
Let's be critical for once:
says who?
which rumours?
what's the source?
this kind of faint and distant grape-whining drum banging off in the haze is meaningless. Unless a trustworthy source for this information is given.

Quote:
Leica ... They have had HD glass in them already but never marketed it as such.
that's true. Their catalogues said so years ago. They said even the Trinovids had lenses made out of glass with anomalous dispersion.

Quote:
This should be easy to test because HD glass weighs more than non-HD. Can somebody weigh them both?
That's again meaningless.

Quote:
As for the new hydrophobic coatings -- Zeiss and Swarovski also have this as a new coating.
Pentax also had it for several years. They barely mention it in their advertising.

T
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: