Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Parental care - which birds carry their young?

Old Sunday 17th February 2008, 13:20   #1
Dave Kennedy

Parental care - which birds carry their young?

This photograph was taken at Fort Augustus, Scotland, during a boat trip through the Caledonian Canal. Three cygnets are enjoying the comfort of a parent's back, and having a good sleep at the same time. I have since found out that grebes carry their young - and I know that male African Jacanas carry their young about under their wings. So far the common factor is water.

Any other comments or observations on which birds include personal transport as part of their parental care?

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mute Swan C4 052.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	126386  

Last edited by Dave Kennedy : Monday 18th February 2008 at 12:22.
Old Sunday 17th February 2008, 14:01   #2
Fast_falkon
Dutch birder

I've seen other species of swan carrying their babies. and Jacana's and Grebes aswell. Don't crocodiles carry their youngs aswell? maybe it does have someting to do with water..
Old Sunday 17th February 2008, 20:14   #3
Xenospiza
Undescribed

I've read that Eurasian Woodcock carry their young (in flight!) – but I don't know if it's true (“Shorebirds” writes: ‘can apparently carry’... so not too convinced either).
Old Sunday 17th February 2008, 21:52   #4
Dave Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
I've read that Eurasian Woodcock carry their young (in flight!) – but I don't know if it's true (“Shorebirds” writes: ‘can apparently carry’... so not too convinced either).
To carry them in flight would really be an achievement - hard to believe, but has anybody out there got an opinion?

Dave Kennedy
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 11:04   #5
jurek

Great crested grebe can fly with chicks on the back for some time. Woodcock carry chicks between legs and tail. It was debated, but I read at least one published first-hand observation.

Also: South American finfoot male has sort of skin pouches under wing, when youngs are carried. It was discovered quite recently, if anybody knows details, I will be interested. :)
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 12:27   #6
Dave Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
Great crested grebe can fly with chicks on the back for some time. Woodcock carry chicks between legs and tail. It was debated, but I read at least one published first-hand observation.

Also: South American finfoot male has sort of skin pouches under wing, when youngs are carried. It was discovered quite recently, if anybody knows details, I will be interested. :)
Thanks, Jurek (and everybody else)

Interesting, because South Africa also has a finfoot Podica senegalensis. I'll try to find out whether anybody has seen this kind of behaviour in the African Finfoot.
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: