Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon ED50 Mini Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 24th April 2008, 20:35   #1
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Nikon ED50 Mini Review

It’s been about three weeks now since I’ve received my Nikon ED50 and thought I’d post my thoughts and a mini review.

It took awhile to get one of these once I decided I wanted one, as Nikon only produces these with the zoom bundled with it, which I didn’t want, and nobody had the angled body only new. I finally found one in new condition with the 20XW EP on the unmentionable auction site. I also found a used 27XW EP at B&H in mint condition and ordered that at the same time.

This scope is small, and light! It weighs 24.5 oz with the 27x EP attached. My Pentax PF80ED with XW14 EP weighs 61 oz. for comparison. Because of it’s angled design, low weight, and short length it handles perfectly on a small carbon fiber tripod with ball head. I use an Arca Swiss compatible plate and clamp for quick coupling and is very secure. I’ve tried using a ballhead (Markins M10) for my larger scope and didn’t much care for it, going back to a heavy fluid head. The ED50 handles like a dream on a medium size ballhead however and makes for significant weight savings there also. The entire setup weighs just 4 1/2 lbs. My 80mm scope with Manfrotto MF4 carbon tripod and Manfrotto 3130 fluid head weighs 10 1/2 lbs.

So how does it work? Great. Both eyepieces have their charms but I seem to have the 27X on more. I guess I like that 30ish magnification point. The view is very sharp and contrasty with both EPs, and comes to focus quickly and positively. I like the way the eyepieces thread on to attach. You can feel the o-ring compressing as it tightens and is reassuring that this seal is indeed waterproof and that the eyepiece won’t come loose.

During daylight hours and even well into twilight the scope performs admirably, at least with the eyepieces I have. So where’s the downside? Frankly I don’t know because as a hiking / travel scope it’s hard to imagine anything better and for anyone who currently owns a larger Fieldscope (that shares the same EPs) it would seem a natural. I can even see having an ED50 as one’s only scope as long as you can live with it’s limitations.
Nikon is doing their customers a disservice by not offering the ED50 as “body only” however.

I think the ED50 perfectly compliments an 80mm or larger scope. The weight and size savings far exceed most 60-70mm scopes and yet it delivers brilliantly. And when you need optical horsepower, you’ll probably want a large scope anyway. I find I almost always take the ED50 with me in the field now where I used to find reasons not to take the big Pentax. It packs easy into a daypack or in the tankbag of my motorcycle and the much smaller tripod makes packing easier also. Beyond the 6lb. weight savings the Nikon setup offers over my other scope, it “carries” even lighter. I think it's partly because it’s small size (centralized mass) greatly reduces the pendulum effect a large scope has while carrying.

So there you are, I’m a fan. With my Leica 8x32s and the ED50 I’m carrying less and enjoying it more. Life’s good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 scopes 2.jpg
Views:	2416
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	136318  

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Thursday 24th April 2008 at 23:19.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th April 2008, 21:46   #2
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
.....Nikon is doing their customers a disservice by not offering the ED50 as “body only” however.......
They did offer it at the beginning. That is why I got one, complementing the use of the eyepieces I already own. I would never have bought it if I would have had to duplicate my eyepieces. So how stupid can this Nikon policy be? Well, I guess, they make money from all those buyers who need to get extra eyepieces later because they are unhappy with the one that came in the combo.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th April 2008, 22:41   #3
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

I think you've made my point for me Robert.

I'm thinking that existing Fieldscope owners that would "consider" a second scope as a home for their existing eyepieces + people who don't want the zoom EP, neither of whom are happy to pay for a zoom EP they don't want, represents a larger market than people buying the ED50+zoom kit and wanting to add one or several fixed EPs. Being stuck buying the zoom may dissuade buyers.

Even if those numbers don't add up, so to speak, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth by Nikon to existing Fieldscope owners.
Besides, the two offerings aren't mutual exclusive either, offer it both ways!

BTW, it works the same way in the other direction, i.e. those considering a larger scope after buying an ED50.

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Thursday 24th April 2008 at 23:25.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th April 2008, 08:08   #4
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
So there you are, I’m a fan. With my Leica 8x32s and the ED50 I’m carrying less and enjoying it more. Life’s good!
That sounds like an ideal combination. I wish I had it. Wait a minute ... I have. ED50 + 8x32 Trinovids = happiness.

I agree with just about every word you've said Kevin. The ED50 is brilliant.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th April 2008, 08:12   #5
mark_s

I bought an ED50 A in Germany a couple of weeks ago to complement my ED82 A. I had no trouble finding the scope body on its own - I've so far seen more online retailers in Germany offering the scope on its own than bundled with an eyepiece.

When the shipment arrived, the package was so small I initially thought the store had made some mistake and had sent me the wrong article. I was amazed to find a scope inside! It's incredible how compact and lightweight this scope is.

It's unfortunate, though, that the case included with the scope is not a stay-on type. It's a perfectly fitting neoprene cover, but although you can access the eyepiece easily with the cover on, you can't remove the lens cap - so you're forced to remove the cover completely to use the scope. A shame. I'm seriously considering just cutting off the front end of the case with scissors to make the lens cap accessible... but I haven't had the courage yet! Other than that, it's a well-designed cover and carrying case.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th April 2008, 08:33   #6
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

You have good taste Ron!

That's interesting Mark that the bodies are available in Germany. Good for you. Your points about the case are well founded. If they made the front panel zippered with a velcro tab to hold it back in place, that would work. I don't mind using it naked though.

A criticism I forgot to mention is why didn't Nikon incorporate a sliding hood? Though the scope is very resistant to flare, a hood always helps and offers a bit of protection also. I did buy a folding rubber hood that I sometimes put on but it has to come off before the neoprene case is attached as it won't fit.

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Friday 25th April 2008 at 08:37.

Old Friday 25th April 2008, 08:49   #7
NoSpringChicken

If you want a stay-on case for the scope, the Cley Spy product is superb.

http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/cleyspy-nik...case-i942.html

Ron

Old Friday 25th April 2008, 12:51   #8
Alexis Powell

The case was too fiddly for me--a zipper, draw string, and snap (!) as I recall. I replaced it with the Op/Tech scope cover, which pulls on and off in an instant. Works nicely with my straight model, but it might not fit the angled quite as well.

--AP
Old Friday 25th April 2008, 13:08   #9
stuart C smith
swansong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_s View Post
I bought an ED50 A in Germany a couple of weeks ago to complement my ED82 A. I had no trouble finding the scope body on its own - I've so far seen more online retailers in Germany offering the scope on its own than bundled with an eyepiece.

When the shipment arrived, the package was so small I initially thought the store had made some mistake and had sent me the wrong article. I was amazed to find a scope inside! It's incredible how compact and lightweight this scope is.

It's unfortunate, though, that the case included with the scope is not a stay-on type. It's a perfectly fitting neoprene cover, but although you can access the eyepiece easily with the cover on, you can't remove the lens cap - so you're forced to remove the cover completely to use the scope. A shame. I'm seriously considering just cutting off the front end of the case with scissors to make the lens cap accessible... but I haven't had the courage yet! Other than that, it's a well-designed cover and carrying case.
yes, i cut the end out, i removed the impact end plug,then i cut out the central material close to but not through the outer stitching and fitted a screw on rubber lens hood which folds back over the scope body/cover when not in use, this hood takes a digi filter and the scope end cap even when folded back. and a small cut out the edges sealed with glue gives access to the focusser, the whole thing makes a good stay on combo.

Last edited by stuart C smith : Friday 25th April 2008 at 14:04.
Old Friday 25th April 2008, 15:04   #10
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Pretty clever Stuart! Yup, I can see that.

Old Friday 25th April 2008, 15:38   #11
Jon Oates
Unconsciously incompetent

My ED50 arrived today together with 27x EP and CleySpy stay-on-case. I'm dead chuffed. It was a bit of a struggle fitting the case (took me a few moments to work out which way round it went and which end to insert first), but it is a very nice combination and oh-so light and compact.

Kevin, I think the zoom EP issue must be specific to the US, as all ED50s advertised in the UK are body-only with the usual range of EPs extra.
Old Friday 25th April 2008, 18:15   #12
Sancho

Welcome to the ED50 fan-club, Kevin. I can't remember when I last used my ED82A. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. I don't bother with any case, but I like Stuart's solution to the problem, might give it a go if a can get over this darn ennui....Best Wishes and Happy Birding with your new scope.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th April 2008, 19:38   #13
Geoff Brown

Great little scope and the Cley Spy case is the ideal accompament to it.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th April 2008, 21:50   #14
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Oates View Post
My ED50 arrived today together with 27x EP and CleySpy stay-on-case. I'm dead chuffed. It was a bit of a struggle fitting the case (took me a few moments to work out which way round it went and which end to insert first), but it is a very nice combination and oh-so light and compact.

Kevin, I think the zoom EP issue must be specific to the US, as all ED50s advertised in the UK are body-only with the usual range of EPs extra.
I had to look up "chuffed" Jon. It's definitely not the past-tense of chuff. The way we use English typically, it would be. You folks have a funny way with "our" language!

Oh, and I think you're right about the zoom-bundled ED50s, seems to be a US market thing... great.

Old Friday 25th April 2008, 22:57   #15
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
I had to look up "chuffed" Jon. It's definitely not the past-tense of chuff. The way we use English typically, it would be. You folks have a funny way with "our" language!

Oh, and I think you're right about the zoom-bundled ED50s, seems to be a US market thing... great.
It's possible to be 'chuffed to bits' too but, in light of another thread on this forum, definitely not 'choughed'.

Ron

Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 14:28   #16
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

I cracked and joined the ED50 club this week. I went for a straight scope with the zoom eyepeice and stay-on-case. It really is an amazing bit of gear quite how Nikon get that good an image out of somehing that small is beyond me. Personally I like the zoom, at 13x it's great for scanning (and I can get away with handholding it) and going up to 40x it's still sharp and give great detail. For me it's the ideal thing to taken out when doing photography as I can't be bothered lugging abig scope out, the ED50 fits nicely in the camera bag.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 14:31   #17
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
I cracked and joined the ED50 club this week. I went for a straight scope with the zoom eyepeice and stay-on-case. It really is an amazing bit of gear quite how Nikon get that good an image out of somehing that small is beyond me. Personally I like the zoom, at 13x it's great for scanning (and I can get away with handholding it) and going up to 40x it's still sharp and give great detail. For me it's the ideal thing to taken out when doing photography as I can't be bothered lugging abig scope out, the ED50 fits nicely in the camera bag.
Nice one Peter. It was only a matter of time. I imagine the straight version is better for handholding as it will be easier to locate the bird.

Ron

Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 17:09   #18
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpringChicken View Post
Nice one Peter. It was only a matter of time. I imagine the straight version is better for handholding as it will be easier to locate the bird.
That was my thinking too. I'm also thinking of working a way to piggyback it onto the big lens, could be fun...

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 18:52   #19
pduxon
Quacked up Member

Quote:
I know the feeling, my leica has been used once this year! At Minsmere took the Ed50, the angled version works well in hides with those cullman shoulder pods.

and yes I guess the straight is better for handholding.

I really should sell the Leica - but that'll tempt me towards a d300!!

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 20:44   #20
Sancho

Congrats PostcardCV, glad you're happy with the ED50. Like a lot of folk, I use mine almost exclusively now in preference to my big scope. The weight and bulk saving far outweighs any loss in other areas. Have a great Spring with it! (P.S. - when Santa is due, be sure to ask him for a 27xw eyepiece....)

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 21:04   #21
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
For me it's the ideal thing to taken out when doing photography as I can't be bothered lugging abig scope out, the ED50 fits nicely in the camera bag.
Welcome to the club postcardcv!
One of the great bonuses of the ED50 (I find) is that it works great with heads that are used for photography. One tripod/head does double-duty for the camera and the scope, and does it well. I have an angled scope though and a straight scope does usually require greater height, especially if you're looking "up". The straight ED50 eases the burden here a bit also however because of it's short length it doesn't put the eyepiece as far down when the scope is pointed up.
I use mine with a medium sized ballhead on a very lighweight carbon tripod and it's ideal really. If you don't have one already, try an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp/plate mounting system for your camera and the scope.
Sure makes life easier!

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Tuesday 6th May 2008 at 21:34.

Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 21:47   #22
NoSpringChicken

I've noticed a few people walking about and using the ED50 handheld with the Grippa case. Has anybody had any experience of this combination?

Ron

Old Tuesday 6th May 2008, 22:00   #23
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

I for one, am no where near good enough to handhold any spotting scope even with the 16X EP. I don't even care for 10X binos.
The ED50 with the 16X or 20XW might work OK on a monopod, but then again why not just take a light tripod?

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Tuesday 6th May 2008 at 22:02.

Old Wednesday 7th May 2008, 12:25   #24
Boomer

Hi All, nice thread.

I also struggle to hand-hold my 10x bins, and my ED50 (angled version). Lately however, I find myself leaving my tripod in the car more frequently. I usually carry both bins and scope, and other essentials/nonessentials. I find that if I hold a folded jacket (or towel, cloth, etc.) in the open palm of my hand, then rest the scope on it...I then have reduced the shaking to a barely acceptabe level. Sort of works like a shock absorber, much like the beanbags used for photography. This method works well for me for short viewing periods. I will use the tripod for longer viewing periods (viewing shorebirds).

Reducing shake when hand-holding the 10x bins has proven to be an ongoing challenge for me. There is another thread on BF that describes using the bill of a baseball cap (or hat) to reduce shake. I have used this method for years to some level of success. I have also adopted my own method of stabilizing the bins, after much trial and error:
With the palm open, I place tip of the thumb of my left hand against the front of my chin. I then fold my middle and ring fingers and rest the left barrel of the bins on them. My index finger & "pinkie" are still vertical, and rest on the left side of the bins. My right hand grasps and holds the right barrel of the bins (in the "normal way"), and the right thumb rests against my cheek (or chin). On my good days, this works rather well for me...on my bad days, again the shake has been reduced to a barely acceptable level.

My ED50 subjective (nontechnical) review/opinion:
I use the 16x & 27x (both wide angle) eyepieces. I am absolutely thrilled with the performance of the scope. I have let other people try it out and they have all mentioned how crisp and clear the view is. There are many times when the straight version would have been easier for me to use, such as when viewing through the car window (takes a lot of body twisting, and scope turning). However, there are many more times when I am glad that I have the angled version (viewing birds in trees or birds in flight). There is certainly a learning curve as to "aimimg" the scope, but I am improving each time I use it. I am quite sure that, had I purchased the straight version, then I would be quite pleased with it...but would have found times when the angled version would have been easier to use. Each has pros & cons.
My overall opinion of the ED50 (straight or angled): AWESOME!

Best to all.
Ron Davidson

Last edited by Boomer : Wednesday 7th May 2008 at 12:43. Reason: minor correction, clarification
Old Wednesday 7th May 2008, 14:57   #25
markbirder

I am new to scoping and find this most interesting. I have an Opticron GS815 GA with 20-60mm eyepiece, which is a bit of a lump to carry around. I would like to know what the disadvantages would be (if any) if I changed to the Nikon ED50?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: