• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

William Optics (1 Viewer)

The waterproof Williams Optics Swan 83 Doublet APO spotting scope, I had the opportunity to use and compare side by side with a Kowa 883 Prominar fluorite and a Swarovski 80 ATS HD.

The Williams scope length (560mm) and weight(6.1 lb.) are a consideration.
Zoom 25-75x
Bayonet end
Twist-up eyecup
Eye Relief: 19.5mm(25X)-18mm(75X).
Field of View 88.5-46.5ft/1000yds
Also includes fixed eyepieces of 4mm, 7mm and 16mm.

The Kowa 883 (500mm) & (3.4 lb, 4.1 lb) with an eyepiece.
Zoom 20-60x
Bayonet end
Twist-up eyecup.
Eye Relief 17-16.5mm
Field of View 115-55 ft./1000 yds.

Swarovski 80HD ATS (460mm) & (2.9 lb, 3.6 lb) w/eyepiece.
Zoom 20-60x
Bayonet end
Twist-up eyecup.
Eye Relief 17 mm
Field of View 108-60 ft./1000 yds.

I am a fan of the Williams equipment that includes telescopes, barlows and eyepieces. This scope is half the price of the other two scopes, the Williams did not compare favorably with either of the other scopes in an artificial star test(fuzzy), length(too long) and weight(too heavy). The overall quality of the 83APO did not meet the same high standard in machining and did not have the attention to detail or quality control(loose rubber collar) as the other two scopes nor compared to other Williams scopes. One interesting surprise, the Williams 4mm eyepiece with the bayonet end fit into the Kowa scope. It did not engage, but worked.

Greg

Hi Greg, This is the first time I have read anything at all about the WO Swan 83 Doublet APO spotter. The scope looks huge. Did this scope support 75X or did it go soft? Sounds like it would.
Regards,Steve

Steve,
The scope supports the zoom, it just was more of a functional scope and eyepiece. I had high expectations and it did not meet them. I had hoped to find the qualities of a quality astronomical telescope made into a waterproof scope and at a great price. I suspected, not based on any fact, that the scope was made by a different manufacturer than the other Williams scopes. The artificial star test showed Astigmatism and the view was darker than the Kowa and Swaro. This was only one sample and it could have been the one clunker out of 100? The size and weight, I've been spoiled by some of the other brands, made it not as portable as I look for in a waterproof scope. Might as well get a non-waterproof Williams 66 or 88 and use it on the deck or with selective traveling.
Greg

Hi Greg, Thanks for your reply. If it supports 75x than it sounds like an ok scope but too heavy and would be better at this weight to be a 100mm scope.:) BTW I have one of the non-waterproof 80 ED astro refractor scopes I use off my back porch.Excellent optics.:)
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back