• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorant in Florida (1 Viewer)

cheerful

Are the first 2 both Great Cormorant? How can I tell the difference b/w Great and Double-crested? Is the color of the neck of any significance?

Is the 3rd one male Anhinga?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2008_L1Biscayne_013.jpg
    2008_L1Biscayne_013.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 9007_IMG.jpg
    9007_IMG.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 9016_IMG.jpg
    9016_IMG.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
The cormorants are Doudle-crested (the default cormorant in Florida), smaller, shorter necked, longer tailed, with orange at the base of the bill. Individuals are difficult to i-d. The last bird is an Anhinga, adult male

I agree with Ruralchill's IDs. As for distinguishing Great and Double-crested, I believe all Greats have a small white patch at the top of their their throat just beneath the chin. They are also bigger (but that's not much help unless you see both species together). Greats are uncommon in Florida except for the far northeast coast in the winter, although you might rarely spot one on some other part of the Florida coastline. As for the neck color, juveniles of both species have lighter colored necks.

Last edited:
Like rjackb said, Greats are rare winter visitors to the state, mostly on the far north Atlantic coast. Young Greats are tricolored (dark back, lighter throat, whitish belly) and somewhat larger than Double-cresteds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back