• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cooper's Hawk? (1 Viewer)

I agree, nice pic. Looks too large for a Coop, though. If it was the size of an Am. Crow than it would be a Cooper's, but this bird (though it's hard to guess how big those branches are) seems to be really small so I'd say it's a Sharp-shinned Hawk (probably a male).

>If it was the size of an Am. Crow than it would be a Cooper's

If size is the last objection, while this is slender, it's definitely larger then any of several nearby Scrub Jay which are about the size of Sharp-shinned. Thanks, I hadn't thought of making that comparison. Crows aren't common here.

Thanks all, I've only seen two of these and I'm still not certain what the other was.

bob

nice picture, chuck. I have several different kinds of hawks around our little farm. they like to scope out my birds, too. I think some like their fellow birds for meals, and some like rodents and such. what was this fellow watching? annie burton

annie burton said:
nice picture, chuck. I have several different kinds of hawks around our little farm. they like to scope out my birds, too. I think some like their fellow birds for meals, and some like rodents and such. what was this fellow watching? annie burton

Just now he appeared to be gelling. A little later I saw him light out after a Cinnamon Teal, and miss.

bob

I would think this is Cooper's on structure alone. In addition to the rounded tail it looks to have quite a large, squarish head and thickish neck. And if it's noticeably bigger than a Scrub Jay...

Some Cooper's Hawk pictures. Note the tail tip and head shape.

Attachments

• COHA4.jpg
    COHA4.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 285
  • Coopers_Hawk1.jpg
    Coopers_Hawk1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Coopers2.jpg
    Coopers2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Cooper's-Hawk3.jpg
    Cooper's-Hawk3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 245
  • coopers5.jpg
    coopers5.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 265
And some Sharp-shinned Hawks.

Attachments

• Sharpshin1.jpg
    Sharpshin1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Sharpshin2.jpg
    Sharpshin2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 242
  • sharpie-hand-hwi4.jpg
    sharpie-hand-hwi4.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Sharp-shinned-Hawk3.jpg
    Sharp-shinned-Hawk3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Sharpshin5.jpg
    Sharpshin5.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 245
Hi Bob,
Looks like a Cooper's to me as well:not seen one,but they almost seem to have a caracara-like head!
Harry

Thanks, F'birder, real nice show. Is the pale nape the most definitive mark of the adult C then? Body size and proportions seem to vary so much with distance and angle!

Hi Charles - I think you're right about size, which is why I only commented on it once Chuck had given a comparison with another species. You're also right about how proportions vary with the angle and so I tried to put up plenty of photographs of both Cooper's and Sharp-shinned that were in a similar posture to the Chuck's bird. That way it's easier for us to try and compare. I'm not sure how useful the pale nape on Cooper's is as I've not seen many. But it's certainly noticeable in Chuck's photograph and in some of the others that I've added. Sibley also mentions this as a useful feature. I'd be very interested to hear your ideas about the identification of this bird and of Cooper's Hawk in general. Come on Charles - I'm sure you know a thing or two ;)

Oh no, not the Hairy Downy thing again.

I have seen both in my suburb, and to me the size difference was obvious. But then you have males and females...

Not me, my knowledge is ALL derivative. This is the third or fourth Cooper's/Sharpie thread I recall since joining BF, and everything I thought I knew has already been said. Haven't seen either bird in 15 years anyway; now I'm worrying about sparrowhawks....

Having both Cooper's and sharp-shinned hawks as regular yard birds, that rounded tail and flat head makes it readily IDable as a Cooper's, the size issue aside. Not that you guys hadn't already said it was a Cooper's... ;)

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Bob,
Looks like a Cooper's to me as well:not seen one,but they almost seem to have a caracara-like head!
Harry
Harry,
I saw my first Cooper's last week in Florida and when I first saw it (even after putting the bins on it) my first impression was that it was a Caracara. The dark crown, the lighter chest and the very long legs all add to that impression.

Of course after checking the details closer, they are obviously quite different.

I'll be saving your pictures Andrew. Next time I see one of these two I'll be better equipped to identify it, or is this one of those situations where a little knowledge is dangerous?

bob

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back