• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beidaihe - Awaiting The Birds Of Heaven II (1 Viewer)

FXM

Frank Moffatt
Hello Folks,

I thought it might be a good idea to continue the thread theme begun by Mark Andews last Autumn i.e recording the birds passing through the area with particular reference to the cranes (hopefully).

I'm here until 12th Nov and as things stand there are a team of three Dutch birders and one other Brit so I'll update you with their sightings after I've spoken to them.

Last year was an incredible spectacle with cranes passing through in big numbers so we would be fortunate if we had a repeat but we'll do our best.

The weather last night brought high winds and heavy rain but today was craneless. Migration seemed non existant and birds on the ground were hard to find.

Best we could manage today:
Saker 1
Bean Geese 4
Ruddy Shelduck 1

Rustic Buntings 40+
Yellow-throated Bunting 100+

More to follow.

Frank ;)

Weather forecast for Beidaihe tomorrow is F4-5 winds from NE with temps not exceeding 7C but considerably colder not much further north of here. Hopefully this might tempt some of the c.500 Siberian Cranes that have been resting up for the last two days 400kms above us to push on further south.

All to play for tomorrow.

Frank

Some forecasts still calling for snow too, though that seems surprising - so do bundle up well! Best of luck to you guys.

Cold NE F3-4 winds made things tough once again on the sandflats. In terms of cranes both teams drew a blank i.e those in the tower on the Lotus Hills and those on the sand flats. The good news is that our contact(s) now report there are 600 Siberian Cranes to the north. We just need something to make them move. Fingers crossed.

Early morning highlights on the sandflats:
Mongolian Lark - one
Lapland Bunting - a few passing over and a couple grounded
Water Pipit (Blakistoni) - at least three.
Buff-bellied Pipit - 3-4
Skylark - several inc. exhausted migrants (also in the reservoir area)

Also Pallas's Buntings, Chinese Penduline Tits, Elegant (Yellow-throated) Bunting, Japanese Quail (1), Spotted Redshank, Far-eastern and Eurasian Curlew, Grey Plover, Dunlin, Kentish Plover plus numerous Black-tailed, Common, Vega/Mongolian Gulls.

The reservoir area held good numbers of buntings inc. Rustic, Pallas's, Little, Elegant, Black-faced, Tristram's. Plus Chinese Grey Shrike, Goshawk, Eastern Buzzard and five Dusky Thrush, a handful of Bluetails and a Baillon's Crake.

Highlights thus far from the Res. itself:

Baer's Pochard - an eclipse male and a female present for at least three days although not sure about today. Sadly an increasingly difficult species to catch up and a very welcome bonus.

Baikal Teal - at least two.

Falcated Duck - minimum 15 noted.

Despite a lull in migration, for the last few days at least, things picked up considerably today and as you can see from the list above there's been plenty to keep us occupied. If I've missed anything obvious off I'll add it later. I've still to obtain the 'early' crane reports.

Cheers for now.

Frank B :)

Cold NE F3-4 winds made things tough once again on the sandflats. :)

Brr, it's really cold tonight (-10 or so?), I can't imagine that these temps would not be inspiring those cranes to get moving south. The forecast I see calls for more northwest and west winds tomorrow, so maybe that will help. (Are the cranes coming from north and east though? If so I would have thought our recent NE winds would have been just the ticket - though perhaps too strong?) At least we didn't get the 6 inches of snow they got in Beijing!

Glad to see all the other birds that you found. Last weekend Nick (ChinaBirds) said he saw a lot of buntings in the reservoir area.

Wishing you better crane days,

Gretchen

Last edited:
As promised here are the Dutch teams crane figures:

27 Oct - Sand Flats 1600 - 1725hrs
Common 20, 10, 50
Japanese 68

28 Oct - zero cranes

29 Oct - Lotus Hills
1315hrs 20-25 Hooded
1415hrs 9 Siberian inc. 1juv; 31 Hooded and 3 Demoiselle; 2 Japanese.

No more recorded by Dutch or British teams up to and including 1st Nov.

I'll post todays [2nd Nov] highlights after our evening meal.

Frank:;)

As Gretchen mentioned there was six inches of snow in Beijing overnight so it was no surprise to find the ground frozen on the sandflats today after a bitterly cold evening. Combined with a F4-5 SW there was a considerable wind chill factor and no matter how I tried I couldn't seem to find shelter wherever I stood at the windmill down on the flats.

Numereous planes had been grounded at Beijing but in Beidaihe there were clear blue skies with sunshine and the cranes took advantage of the conditions... but we had to wait until pretty late in the day to witness it. It was well worth it, however, as most went directly overhead in excellent light giving superb views and with many calling as they continued south in the fading light.

COMMON CRANE
1510 6 adults
1545-1600 10 inc. 4 juv
1615 14
1620-1635 27 inc. 9 juv
1645 35
1650-1705 13 inc. 5 juv

SIBERIAN CRANE
1650 39

Bean Goose - 23

Ruddy Shelduck - 27

Other Highlights:
Siberian Accentor - 6+
Hen Harrier - male and ringtail
Great Bittern - one
Baillon's Crake - one showing superbly at the res.
Chinese [grey] Shrike - one
Chinese Grosbeak - one
Godlewski's Bunting - three at the res.

Increasing numbers of buntings to look through but no new species added for the trip. Still three Water Pipits on the flats plus several Buff-bellied passing over.

Not sure what tomorrows forecast is but the chances would appear to be good for more cranes.

Frank B :)

P.S Any bird news from the Qinhuangdao area Gretchen?

Unfortunately meetings and paperwork most of the day - only a few sparrows seen. I tried to remember to look out the window a few times to see if anything bigger was flying - but not enough to be effective! The forecast for me is for much the same for the next 2 days.

Accuweather says clear, high winds west/southwest, and temps up to mid 50's - not sure what the birds will think of that southwest wind, if that happens. It was a beautiful day for them today though...

Hope you got your feet warm after a couple very chilly days.

Thanks for the detailed counts!!

The winds blew WSW F4-5 which meant it was still quite cold but considerably warmer than of late and if you could bird in the lee then it actually felt warm. It also meant that pollution levels were high and that Qinhuangdao and the ships berthed offshore were no longer visible.

Began with my early morning visit to the flats. Nothing unusual but increased signs of migration: Great Bittern, 2 Carrion Crow, 11 Ruddy Shelduck, couple of Eastern Buzzards and an assortment of buntings overhead all moving quickly inland.

I headed to the Res. as the Dutch team arrived and they had a good selection including White-winged Scoter, Slavonian Grebe, Long-tailed Duck and a Great Bustard heading north low along the flats. Another bustard that I've missed out on. My China bogey bird.

The res. held lots of buntings: Rustics mainly but also many Elegant and the odd Black-faced and Pallas's seemed to be everywhere. I watched the Chinese Shrike pounce on an unfortunate Brambling before devouring it and the Godlewski's Bunts were still hanging on.

A team of five of us spent five hours at the windmill on the sandflats to last light but no cranes came our way. In fact the only cranes seen were 5 Red-crowned at 0855 heading south low over the rear of the reservoir.

It'll all kick-off tomorrow.

Franko:)

Considerably warmer today which meant birding was quite pleasant. Continued WSW or SW winds (three days), however, have brought with them increasingly high pollution levels. Instead of birding in what should have been clear blue skies as far as the eye could see we had to endure a reduction of 90% in visibility.

A Chinese photographer noted a flock of c.50 Siberian Cranes at 0745 heading south very low close to the Lotus Hills. He attempted to follow them in his car as they negotiated the early morning mist and managed two or three shots of them.

Despite teams on the sandflats and the Lotus Hills the were no further reports of cranes during the afternoon.

The new moon has brought high tides to the sandflats in the morning giving good opportunities to look through the c.2500 gulls. The pick of the bunch was a fist winter Saunder's Gull. Those braving it out to the end of play on the flats were rewarded with a second Saunder's Gull, this time an adult winter cose to the windmill at 1700hrs.

Reports from the res. area were pretty much as previous days and the early morning saw a rush of Lapland Buntings inland with a few hanging around the flats also.

We could do with a change in the wind direction to clear the skies. Here's hoping.

More tomorrow.

Frank:eek!:

Well, some people here are happy about our warm spell, but it's not great for you guys looking for migrants! Hopefully they're wrong, but Accuweather says the drop in temps and wind from the north won't come until Sat. night. Still, I see that you'll be around another week, so hopefully you will still enjoy more cold weather (that sounds funny). Hope that some good birds who enjoy the warm turn up for you today!

Well, some people here are happy about our warm spell, but it's not great for you guys looking for migrants! Hopefully they're wrong, but Accuweather says the drop in temps and wind from the north won't come until Sat. night.

Today was positively warm with light winds from the SW. Early morning at the Sand Flats was very encouraging with a steady stream of birds coming in-off from the west mostly. Skylarks were most numerous and the reeds were 'jumping' with Pallas's Reed Buntings and Chinese Penduline Tits. The call of Siberian Accentors was noted frequently and there were several blakistoni Water Pipits and Buff-bellied Pipits passing overhead with a good numbers dropping onto the flats for a rest. Still c.70 Goldeneye around but gull numbers were down by 50% to about 1200 in the vicinity of the Windmill. No Saunder's Gulls but still the regulars to look through.

A couple of hours at the res. produced a Chinese Pond Heron, still good numbers of buntings and 4-5 Daurian Redstarts.

By midday at the flats the visibility was poor, worse than yesterday in fact. There is a major problem here with pollution being blown up from the SW - far worse than I have ever known it. I actually felt ill (still do at 1930 hrs) and nearly gave up but stayed on (probably shouldn't have) until 1700.

NO CRANES here or in the Lotus Hills but we could easily be missing them in these conditions. The pine trees at the Lotus Hills are showing just one generation of needle whereas I'm reliably informed there should be four. Probably a result of the pollution and probably destined to die prematurely. Makes you wonder what is happening to the tiaga forests to the north!

Thanks for the weather update Gretchen. We were all wrapped up earlier in the week to protect ourselves from the cold NE winds but I'd give anything to have them back... sooner rather than later please.

So what began on a positive note ended with a sickly, grey, smelly smog.

Just had a very nice evening meal, however, and there's always tomorrow to look forward to. They'll be here in droves soon... please.

More tomorrow.

Frank;)

Yes, hoping that droves will come and you will see them! I'm impressed by how you've been getting interesting sightings despite less than ideal conditions.

I am hearing the ships horns bellowing because of the fog right now, and thought the day looked really tough - low visibility. Still saying there will be wind coming through tomorrow night. Hope you have managed to continue seeing good birds and enjoying them. Tomorrow is supposed to be the last warm day until March or so I think...

cheers,

Gretchen

Still conditions, mild temperatures and a high tide resulted in a misty start at the sandflats. Unfortunately it remained pretty much the same all day thus visibility was poor - probably no more than 800m. The pollution, though still evident was less problematic than yesterday thankfully.

Another day without cranes but hardly surprising really. The forecast says one more day of SW winds and then it moves to the N quarter accompanied by strong winds and low temperatures. Add in the wind chill factor and it could get interesting.

Buntings were on the move today with rustics overhead and on the flats in good numbers. Siberian Accentors were vocal, as was a group of Vinous-throated Parrotbills that turned up alongside the Pallas's Buntings, a lone Japanese Bunting, single Common Reed, numerous Chinese Penduline Tits and at least three Fan-tailed Warblers.

Instead of heading to the Reservoir, just for a change of scenery I had a walk through the grounds of the Dongshan and Friendship Hotels: single Bluetail and Siberian Accentor, Pallas's and Yellow-browed Warblers, several Goldcrests and a party of Yellow-bellied Tits were the pick.

Spent the rest of the time looking at gulls, pipits and wagtails without turning up anything new. Several oiled birds around: Black-headed Gull, Great-crested Grebe and now a White-winged Scoter.

Just been told I have to switch hotels tomorrow. Carrying out some work to the Beidaihe International Club Hotel. Could have done without that but never mind

That's all for now.

Frank:eat:

Switched Hotel when birding finished yesterday evening so no post. Left the conveniently located Beidaihe Inter'l Club - you walk out of the door to the reservoir and/or the sandflats - and took up residence at the Seaside Gardens 4* Hotel. Located centrally in Beidaihe so a taxi is needed but it's pretty good.

Weather much the same 7th Nov. SW with poor visibilty so no cranes noted. Highlights:
Pallas's Reed Bunting - numerous.
Japanese Reed Bunting - 2-3.
Rustic Bunting - numerous.
Yellow-throated Bunting - numerous.
Black-faced Bunting - 1-2
Little Bunting - 2-3
Tristram' Bunting - 1-2
Godlewski's Bunting - 1
Siberian Accentor - 10+
Dusky Warbler - 1-2
Pallas's Warbler - 2-3
Fan-tailed Warbler - 2-3
Vinous-throated Parrotbill - 20+
Chinese Grosbeak - 1
Water Pipit (blakistoni) 4-5
Dusky Thrush - 2
Naumann's Thrush - 1
Siberian Bush Warbler - 1 heard at res.
Chinese Penduline Tit - several.
Olive-backed Pipit - 1
Falcated Duck - 2
Mandarin Duck - 14 min. inc 2 drakes.
Eastern Buzzard - 1
Grey-capped Pygmy Woodpecker - 1-2
Far-eastern Curlew - 1
Eurasian Curlew (orientalis) - 1
Black-tailed Gull
Vega Gull
Mongolian Gull

Lots of other birds to enjoy as well as the above so plenty to occupy the mind.

Frank;)

Sunday 8th November.
Wind had shifted to NE F6-7 but temperatures were still okay so even with the full force in your face it was bearable. Visibilty was greatly improved. I could actually see Qinhuangdao for the first time in a week although it was hazy but I couldn't make out the mountains behind. I could also see the slightly misty Lotus Hills with the Watch Tower peeking out, plus I was able to count the ships again although todays total of just 16 fell well short of my record 61 berthed close offshore earlier in the trip.

I felt I must be in with a chance of cranes today but last year on a NE many used the wind to skirt the edge of bay well out to sea often coming in behind the highpoint of Pigeon Nest Park very high and so were easy to overlook. Aware of this I kept checking all directions from 1130 onwards but alas no cranes today.

I have not been able to get an update from the stop over point 400kms north of Beidaihe for a few days so I'm not sure what the score is there but I do know that much further north 2000 Siberian Cranes are on the move. Unfortunately it will take a least three or four days for them to get anywhere near Beidaihe so I'll be gone when they pass through.

I also got a report that two ot three days ago several Siberian and Hooded Cranes passed through to the south of us - about 90 mins drive south of Beidaihe, but no numbers were mentioned. Right place right time I think.

Todays birds were much as yesterdays but here are some selected highlights:

Baikal Teal - 3 inc. a single drake at the res.
Mandarin Duck - female at res.
Falcated Duck - one min. at res.

Todays very high tide and reasonable viewing meant I could estimate the gulls present on the flats: c.3000

Pick of the bunch:
Heuglin's Gull - at least 2 adult winter Taimyrensis types. These were both very striking birds and stood out from the crowd.

Another very enjoyable days birding but it would have been nice to have seen a crane or two. Tomorrow?

Cheers for now.

Frank:-O

Hey Frank,

What a nice surprise to come home to (just returned from Ladakh), congrats for keeping the work going, though does appear harder than last year, in fact the last three ;)

The Baer's are good news and a welcome bonus!

We'll be back in force next year!!!

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back