Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

India...Kerala

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 15th April 2010, 08:34   #1
Dave Williams

India...Kerala

I have posted a full report of our Indian adventure here on my local North Wales Birding web site

http://www.northwalesbirding.co.uk/f...pic.php?t=3716

Like so many "birders" I have a non birding partner and I'm always looking for ways of satisfying both our holiday needs.My report is about the holiday in general as much as specific lists of what I saw.
Without a doubt Kerala is geographically richly diverse as is the wildlife to be found there. Of course what you see is part luck, part dedication to seek them out. The full list of possibilites is huge !
I have decided that in all probability my next visit to India will involve flying in to Kerala ( there are 3 airports served by Qatar Airways) and flying out of Goa (500 miles north). What Kerala can't offer, Goa can and vice versa.
If I can help anyone I'm only to happy to offer advice
cheers
Dave.
Old Thursday 15th April 2010, 09:01   #2
CactusD
ἀρχός οἰωνῶν

Location: Ideally, half way up a mountain in Greece. Otherwise, Banbury
Some excellent pics here, and interesting details on what it's like to take large camera gear on a trip like this. I esp. like the owls, and the colours of the Malabar Trogon: I always suspected that my india fieldguides didn't do it full justice!
Latest bird lifer: 332 (Dalmatian Pelican)

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 20th April 2010, 08:40   #3
Sleeper

All those views and only one comment. Dave, excellent report and the pics are really coming good now.

Always a treat to have somewhere quite unreported having such a good report. The more "normal" reports like this the better.

cactus
When we first visited India it was one of the first things that my wife and I were stunned by....the colours were totally washed out in the guides.

Thanks again Dave
Old Tuesday 20th April 2010, 22:15   #4
RobertaG

What a wonderful report, not just for the birding and the wonderful photos, (which are excellent ) but for the obvious pleasure you showed for being there - I'm sure you will have inspired others to visit.

Thanks for writing it and sharing.
Old Thursday 22nd April 2010, 21:52   #5
Birdingcraft

Excellent trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write about so much of your trip and providing a link to your report. The photos are also fantastic!
Old Sunday 25th April 2010, 10:27   #6
Dave Williams

Thanks for your comments everyone, glad you enjoyed the read and if it inspired you to visit, so much the better !
Old Tuesday 27th April 2010, 03:08   #7
Chris D

I'm in the midst' of reading this most excellent report. Your writing and photography is 'top notch'...... I hope it's OK to ask (via personal Email) some questions on culture and location. If not on the top of the list ---- I hope it's OK to (bump') this up a few times.............chris
Old Tuesday 27th April 2010, 07:21   #8
Dave Williams

Only to happy to help Chris. cheers Dave
Old Friday 30th April 2010, 18:25   #9
Chris D

Hi again Dave. Thanks again for the report. My wife and I spent a month in Nepal a few years back. Amazing on many levels. Anymore we're concentrating less on birds and more on cultures ----- but still love and find interest in all flora/fauna/geol/geo etc. Most of our time is spent in Indonesia and Malaysia. The former---- at least 2 months each year. We're aching to get back to Nepal - but I have done loads of research into the part of India you visited. I'm fascinated by Tamils, the Ghats, and everything else. Is there an area or place that you visited that you wouldn't have minded staying longer? Sorry if this is the typical tourist question ---- but then I'm nothing more than a tourist. Granted, we're quite involved in the places we frequent repeatedly, mostly school and medical stuff ---- but we also like to have fun. Really enjoy familes and villages.

If you have the time ---- and any thoughts -post trip, please let me know. Thanks again for the great writing......chris
Attached Images
File Type: bmp aaaa.bmp (188.7 KB, 69 views)
Old Sunday 2nd May 2010, 18:16   #10
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Hi Rioja,
Superb trip report and splendid photographs!
Having seen what photographers have to shlep with them to get their pictures, I'm even more impressed, thinking of walking in Kerala's heat with that gear and then composing the shots you got.
Does very much make me want to visit India.
Many thanks for the wonderful glimpse of it.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 2nd May 2010, 19:14   #11
Dave Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
Hi again Dave. Thanks again for the report. My wife and I spent a month in Nepal a few years back. Amazing on many levels. Anymore we're concentrating less on birds and more on cultures ----- but still love and find interest in all flora/fauna/geol/geo etc. Most of our time is spent in Indonesia and Malaysia. The former---- at least 2 months each year. We're aching to get back to Nepal - but I have done loads of research into the part of India you visited. I'm fascinated by Tamils, the Ghats, and everything else. Is there an area or place that you visited that you wouldn't have minded staying longer? Sorry if this is the typical tourist question ---- but then I'm nothing more than a tourist. Granted, we're quite involved in the places we frequent repeatedly, mostly school and medical stuff ---- but we also like to have fun. Really enjoy familes and villages.

If you have the time ---- and any thoughts -post trip, please let me know. Thanks again for the great writing......chris
Hi Chris,
In answer to your question without a doubt the two places I would go back to without hesitation would be the Tamil Nadu homestay and Parambikulam Tiger Reserve. Not only because they are superb places, but because they are close to each other too. In actual fact we enjoyed everywhere and would recommend them all but we did feel we spent too much time travelling and although we were away for a month we never actually unpacked our cases.If you intend flying scheduled, I would consider arriving in Trivandrum and departing from Cochin or vice versa and that would cut down the travelling too, Next time I would make fewer stops and stay longer. If you are looking at non birding things there are plenty of interesting things to see and do, temples to visit, elephant camps where you can ride feed and wash the animals, as well as tea and spice plantations which are fascinating to see . I would also recommend an overnight trip on a riceboat, but take a basic one not one with double glazing and air conditioning. Needs to be authentic !
cheers Dave
Old Sunday 2nd May 2010, 19:15   #12
Dave Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Hi Rioja,
Superb trip report and splendid photographs!
Having seen what photographers have to shlep with them to get their pictures, I'm even more impressed, thinking of walking in Kerala's heat with that gear and then composing the shots you got.
Does very much make me want to visit India.
Many thanks for the wonderful glimpse of it.
Thank you !
Old Monday 3rd May 2010, 04:07   #13
Chris D

Indeed. Most excellent. Thanks again..............
Old Monday 3rd May 2010, 19:36   #14
Alf King

A very enjoyable read Dave. I would concur with your comments that Kerala is a great place for birders to visit and also a little quieter than other parts of India.

Perriyar can be very good for birds especially in the forests alongside the lake, holding numerous babblers, ground thrushes, forest wagtails etc. I also think Thattekad is worthwhile but there is a real palaver required to enter the sanctuary as they need to see your passport and cerify your identity; you will get good views of Frogmouth here though as they are staked out every night. An alternative to the Hornbill camp can be found at Mundackal Homestay (www.mundackalhomestay.com) which I have stayed at and can recommend highly. It's 12 km away from Thattekad and has cold beers!
Old Tuesday 4th May 2010, 02:20   #15
Chris D

excellent
Old Wednesday 5th May 2010, 01:11   #16
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

A terrific report - as much for the travelogue as the birds and wonderful photos - certainly makes me want to go to Kerala.

Cheers
Mike

Hong Kong: Glossy Ibis, Western Yellow Wagtail, Wood Warbler (475)
Greater China: Buff-breasted Sandpiper, European Golden Plover, Glossy Ibis (973)
Lifer: Many-Coloured Rush Tyrant, Diademed Sandpiper Plover
Old Wednesday 12th May 2010, 02:49   #17
Chris D

bump...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: