Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Possible Northern Long-tailed Tit, West Midlands

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old Wednesday 19th January 2011, 17:31   #1
Matt Griffiths
ad. ♂ Blackcap

Possible Northern Long-tailed Tit, West Midlands

A flock of Long-tailed Tits containing a rather light-headed individual has been visiting the bird feeders in my garden during the last two evenings. This evening it made three visits, and I managed some really rubbish pics on the second occasion before remembering my camera does video and got two video clips when it returned. Unfortunately it returned on its own on the last occasion, so there's no others to compare it with. Also I haven't seen it during better light yet.

Pics below. As can be seen, the bird lacks the black band above each eye, and the head is largely white with some very fine dusky markings. So far I haven't been able to study the extent of the markings on the belly/flank area. Are there other features I should look at if I see it again? Bird in question was still at fat balls in 5th pic. Will try to upload videos in a few minutes.

Would appreciate others' thoughts on its racial ID. Thanks.

Kind regards,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	304118  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	304119  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	304120  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	304121  Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	304123  

Old Wednesday 19th January 2011, 17:51   #2
MichavdB

Looks pretty good to me.
Old Wednesday 19th January 2011, 17:57   #3
Stephen Dunstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Griffiths View Post
A flock of Long-tailed Tits containing a rather light-headed individual has been visiting the bird feeders in my garden during the last two evenings. This evening it made three visits, and I managed some really rubbish pics on the second occasion before remembering my camera does video and got two video clips when it returned. Unfortunately it returned on its own on the last occasion, so there's no others to compare it with. Also I haven't seen it during better light yet.

Pics below. As can be seen, the bird lacks the black band above each eye, and the head is largely white with some very fine dusky markings. So far I haven't been able to study the extent of the markings on the belly/flank area. Are there other features I should look at if I see it again? Bird in question was still at fat balls in 5th pic. Will try to upload videos in a few minutes.

Kind regards,
Matt
Matt,

Check out http://www.bbrc.org.uk/Riact.pdf and scroll down.

It states that they welcome images of birds that approach caudatus anyway so on that basis I would think you may as well submit.

Regards,

Stephen
Old Wednesday 19th January 2011, 18:06   #4
Scooby2

Quote:

Kind regards,
Matt
How's you French? Good article here...http://www.ornithomedia.com/pratique...nt_art94_1.htm

Interestingly they rekon 2% of Dutch 'europaeus' have white heads.

I don't know enough to say one way or the other, but I was lucky enough to see a flock of about 20 'caudatus' on the river bank back in Dec here in Burgundy. They were lovely and all very clean white headed.

Good luck.
Old Wednesday 19th January 2011, 18:16   #5
gareth_blockley
Smile people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby2 View Post
How's you French? Good article here...http://www.ornithomedia.com/pratique...nt_art94_1.htm

Interestingly they rekon 2% of Dutch 'europaeus' have white heads.

I don't know enough to say one way or the other, but I was lucky enough to see a flock of about 20 'caudatus' on the river bank back in Dec here in Burgundy. They were lovely and all very clean white headed.

Good luck.
The above article translated http://www.microsofttranslator.com/B...nt_art94_1.htm

An interesting read.

Gareth
Old Wednesday 19th January 2011, 18:22   #6
Matt Griffiths
ad. ♂ Blackcap

Thanks guys. Stephen, I will look into that.

Not brilliant videos, but now posted at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0qqyQRmIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v0kVkOENc8
Old Wednesday 19th January 2011, 18:27   #7
wolfbirder

Very good WM record, would love to see this bird but i understand it could present you problems to release details and I respect your privacy.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
Old Wednesday 19th January 2011, 18:47   #8
Scooby2

At the end of the Ornithomedia article there's this.....
http://www.dutchbirding.nl/~dbaftp/w...292008.pdfHead
Old Thursday 20th January 2011, 12:28   #9
mäkpe

Somehow the head doesn't look pure white to me, but it might be because of the picture quality. However, i can't exclude hybrid from these pics. I've seen some 10 hybrids caudatus x europaeus or birds with mixed features in Finland, but non pure europaeus.

Latest (Finnish) lifers: Sardinian Warbler, Stilt Sandpiper, Lesser Canada Goose, Fox Sparrow
Old Thursday 20th January 2011, 12:48   #10
Daniel Martin

Quote:
Thanks guys. Stephen, I will look into that.

Not brilliant videos, but now posted at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0qqyQRmIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v0kVkOENc8
The video appears to show it feeding alone Matt - is this so? Most Long Tails here are in large flocks (20+) and move through my garden quickly in a circuit.

Would be interesting if this is a "lone" bird.
Old Thursday 20th January 2011, 12:49   #11
chris butterworth
aka The Person Named Above

IMO the ( faint ) markings on the head and the extent of white on the tertials would seem to indicate europaeus rather than the nominate. Still a cracking bird though.

Chris

"Before the internet, this was all fields."
Old Thursday 20th January 2011, 20:52   #12
Matt Griffiths
ad. ♂ Blackcap

Thanks all. I've been reading up on caudatus and europaeus features, so as the bird showed on two very brief occasions again today, I knew a few things to pay particular attention to. I'm leaning towards an intergrade/hybrid, but given the short amount of time the bird spends in my garden on each visit, I'm hoping for more views.

Yes, there are dusky markings on the head, darkest behind the eye and extending to the black neckband (which as a result is perhaps not so well-defined). Also the white margins on the tertials seemed rather thin (but it might've just been the secondaries I was looking at), but this and possibly a very slight hint of breast band I will try to confirm tomorrow.

Daniel, yes the bird came alone on its final visit to my garden yesterday evening when I videoed it. Prior to that I'd seen it in the company of a local flock. Interestingly, I think on every occasion I've seen the flock arrive this evening and yesterday evening, it's been the first (or one of the first) LT to get to the feeders, and the first to move on; also this afternoon I saw it briefly for the first time during proper daylight, and it landed on the feeders and was scared off by another flock member, it tried to land on them again but was chased off - suggesting that it isn't an aberrant local bird. I didn't see this behaviour this evening.

Matt
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: