• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (2 Viewers)

Attachments

• 201105141.jpg
    201105141.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 201105143.jpg
    201105143.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 201105211.jpg
    201105211.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 201105212.jpg
    201105212.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 345
A few more shots with the little TL APO804

1st - TLAPO+1.5xTC
2nd - TL APO alone
3rd - TL APO Alone
4th - TL APO+1.5xTC+2xTC

And a link for a video with the Wryneck:
http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/Galeria/Videos/17176199_frBLgj#1497188614_jbRfk6G-XL-LB

I don't think I've posted any of these before, if I did I'm sorry.

First class, as always.
Ain't those wrynecks something special! Loved to see the video. Seen only one once live for a few seconds. Loved them.

First class, as always.
Ain't those wrynecks something special! Loved to see the video. Seen only one once live for a few seconds. Loved them.

Wrynecks are a really amazing birds, they're behaviour is specially interesting when they twist their necks when being disturbed. Unfortunately this guy didn't do that for me, I guess I didn't disturb him enough :)

A few more varied shots from the TL, all done with the 1.5xTC attached.

Attachments

• 201109244.jpg
    201109244.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 201109249.jpg
    201109249.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 201109101.jpg
    201109101.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 301
  • 2011100101.jpg
    2011100101.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 332
Fernando,

I had a look at your photos and I must say they are top class. Next I visited your photo gallery and was amazed by the amount of excellent pictures.

/Tord

Fernando,

Unbelievably high quality as always. The Barwits in particular from a technical point of view

I've just acquired an Olympus Pen E-P2, so naturally I had to put on the scope (Orion ED80), and managed to capture this very colorful female cardinal. I'm quite pleased with this little camera - the IQ is better than I expected. Both shots are uncropped from raw files with only minor white balance, levels, and sharpening adjustments. The Pen's 2x crop factor and in-body image stabilization look like they will be really helpful on the scope. But one weakness is that the high ISO performance is not as good as a DSLR.

Attachments

• Fem Cardinal scaled R0166.jpg
    Fem Cardinal scaled R0166.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 281
  • Fem Cardinal scaled R0169.jpg
    Fem Cardinal scaled R0169.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 285
Stunning images. I am an astrophotography with a DSLR (modified for Ha) and have an ED80, this has given me some ideas. Will have to do a custom white balance to get over the Mod though.

Carole

I've just acquired an Olympus Pen E-P2, so naturally I had to put on the scope (Orion ED80), and managed to capture this very colorful female cardinal. I'm quite pleased with this little camera - the IQ is better than I expected. Both shots are uncropped from raw files with only minor white balance, levels, and sharpening adjustments. The Pen's 2x crop factor and in-body image stabilization look like they will be really helpful on the scope. But one weakness is that the high ISO performance is not as good as a DSLR.

Nice shots!
How do you experience the handling? Do you use the lcd as a viewfinder, or do you use the external one (or both) Is it easy to focus with? I have thought of these Pens/panasonic m4/3, being an olympus user myself, but never seen one live yet.

Cango (and other Olympus users),

I can recommend a visit to Olympus UK E-System User Group. This a friendly and lively forum discussing 4/3 and also micro 4/3 gear, the latter increasingly. Some people there are really knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge.

You may need to register (free of charge).

/Tord

Nice shots!
How do you experience the handling? Do you use the lcd as a viewfinder, or do you use the external one (or both) Is it easy to focus with? I have thought of these Pens/panasonic m4/3, being an olympus user myself, but never seen one live yet.

Nice shots!

It's early days yet and I am not really familiar with the camera. My DSLR is a D90, so my comments are relative to that. In the Pen's favor, I find manual focus much easier than with the D90. The P2 has a 7x or 10x image magnification for manual focus which is really good and easy to use to hit focus. I have been using the external viewfinder for shooting, it is excellent, but I find myself going back to the screen when I want to view shots or use the menu. This is cumbersome and I should re-educate myself to use one or the other ... Overall the images are very good up to ISO 500 or maybe even 800.

On the downside, in addition to the weaker high ISO performance, the Pen does not allow as much direct access to functionality via buttons and dials, one needs to go to the menu a little more. And I find the main command dial on the back tricky - it's too easy for me to hit the multi-switch in the middle while trying to turn the dial.

Overall, I am pleased with the camera and looking forward to experimenting more. Definitely take a look at one if you get the chance!

Stunning images. I am an astrophotography with a DSLR (modified for Ha) and have an ED80, this has given me some ideas. Will have to do a custom white balance to get over the Mod though.

Carole

Welcome to the forum.

It is indeed amazing how good the images are from these scopes - certainly comparable with top of the line telephotos that are 10x the price. Try some shots, I think you will find it addicting!

Carole

Hi Carole, You have some excellent images on your site! Welcome to Birdforum.

Aegea, Excellent images.

Last edited:
Eastern Bluebird (male)

Even with a 2X converter these refractors can still generate some respectable IQ, especially if you're pretty close like this subject (10m).

Celestron C80ED 600mm fl; f 7.5 refractor
Kiron 2x teleconverter

Attachments

• eabb.jpg
    eabb.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 307
A few from down south

A few "portraits" from the last couple of days. It is really hot (30C+) and windy and I am trying to keep to the shadows to keep the scope cool.

1. Grey Go-away Bird (juvenile)

2. Grey Go-away Bird (adult)

3. Cardinal Woodpecker

Attachments

• _MG_6787.jpg
    _MG_6787.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 165
  • _MG_6723.jpg
    _MG_6723.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 209
  • _MG_6471.jpg
    _MG_6471.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 203
hello! I would like to add some picture took using a catadiotric Celestron C5 and Canon 550D in prime focus, sometime I use homemade focal reducer 0.5x-0.8x changing distance between lens and camera...I hope you like it, other pics in my blog in www.hobbydigiscoping.blogspot.com
IMG_7621_Large.jpg IMG_7900_Large.jpg IMG_7925_Large.jpg IMG_8271_Large.jpg IMG_8405_Large.jpg
...sorry for my strange language..I'm still learning :)

You take a great photo with the C5 Stefano. I have heard that the C5 is difficult to shoot birds with, so your photos are exceptional.

Well done indeed.

I had a small play with the Shadows and Light options in Adobe CS4, just to see for myself if i could rescue some of the blown area in the white Egret, and i think i managed it OK. I have lost some of the impact of the brightness of yours, but have managed to get back a little of the feathers, although perhaps mine looks a little flatter

Hope you dont mind

Attachments

• IMG_8271_Large.jpg
    IMG_8271_Large.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back