• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Setups! (1 Viewer)

cango

Here's mine
Scope: Celestron 80ed apo

Tripod: triopo (cheapish carbon fibre one, dont recall modell)

Head: The gimbal from ebay/india

Ext-tube: 80mm extension tube.

Camera mount adapter: 2" adapter for Olympus OM (used with an OM-to-fourthirds adapter with AF-chip) from http://www.cncsupplyinc.com

Special: own dovetail plate drilled right onto scope. On it, mounted a flash "thingy"
(have begun to use my remote capable flash (FL50r) with better beamer. mostly intended for use in winter time.)

Adapters available from www.cncsupplyinc.com

2" UltraWide Prime Focus Telescope Adapters
Canon EOS/Rebel
Canon F/A/T Series
Minolta Maxxum
Nikon
Pentax "K"
Pentax "S"
Sony Alpha
Olympus 4/3
Olympus OM

Attachments

• scope.jpg
    scope.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 1,740
  • scopeflash.jpg
    scopeflash.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 1,267
Cango, ready for Afghanistan? Real rugged. Did you not remove your clampshell rings? That thing weight almost a kg..... Never tried using the scope with flash. Gave up using the flash with my DIY Better Beamer flash extender since my tele lens day.

Cango, ready for Afghanistan? Real rugged. Did you not remove your clampshell rings? That thing weight almost a kg..... Never tried using the scope with flash. Gave up using the flash with my DIY Better Beamer flash extender since my tele lens day.

LOL.
EDIT: Forgot about the clampshells. Yes, initially when I used the videohead, I removed the clampshells and drilled holes under and used it with long dovetail.
NOW, with the gimbal, I put the clamshells on (seen in the pictures here) because I had to mount the dovetail from the right side and couldn't use my longer dovetail, and had to do a new one.
Eventually, when I have the time, I will drill holes from the side to mount it without clampshells. Sorry for the confusion ;-)

Eventually I could post some photos taken with this combo and better beamer. I don't really like flash photos, but If it's not noticed (that much) it's ok.
The Gimbal is cheap and works really well. It's not that heavy (lesser parts than most gimbals) Wish I had gone for this one much earlier. It works perfectly with the "focusing with all somewhat loose" that I learned from Paul.

Last edited:
My setups new and old.
The TL APO804 on top of a Berlebach 2002 and Benro KB-3 head. The connection to the camera is made from a TS extension tube machined to fit an iris inside, the mount was from an old Sigma lens (makes for a much better fit than a regular Tring) , on top of that is a machined teflon piece to cover the conection parts, to make the look as clean as possible.

And my old SW ED80 on top of my homemade groundpod and Benro KB-3 Head.

Attachments

• DSC_6063.jpg
    DSC_6063.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DSC_9012.jpg
    DSC_9012.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 796
here's my earlier setup with a video head (giotto)
For those who are worried about using large extension tubes - making the heavy camera (or not so heavy) dip, thus bending the lightpath, I made a loong dovetail plate. On the extension tube I put a V shaped mdf/woode piece (see pic 2) that hold up the weight. There is of course a fricton where it glides, but very little (the pointier and stiff the material is the better).

Attachments

• P1012869.jpg
    P1012869.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 673
  • P1012869-2.jpg
    P1012869-2.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 671
Good idea, Cango. I have the Celestron too and boy is that focuser floppy with a couple of extension tubes and a camera behind it!

One thing to consider regarding the celestron is to add a distance piece to the dovetail plate, because of the focuser (house?). The focuser (house?) on the celestron is bigger than the scope tube itself. Therefore when trying to mount a dovetail plate this long (well, that goes backwards towards the camera) the focuser (house/body) is in the way.

see pics of how I choose to deal with it. I am sure there are other ways.

Attachments

• P1017894-2.jpg
    P1017894-2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 263
  • P1017893.jpg
    P1017893.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 260
Another thing. A drawback to my solution is not being able to shoot portrait mode, because of the long plate. (at least not while focuser is all in.) I could have chopped it off a little, but never got to it. At the moment I don't need it, so if you want it, you can have it. :) (But I'm sure you could do your own, and better looking than mine :) )

My setups new and old.
The TL APO804 on top of a Berlebach 2002 and Benro KB-3 head. The connection to the camera is made from a TS extension tube machined to fit an iris inside, the mount was from an old Sigma lens (makes for a much better fit than a regular Tring) , on top of that is a machined teflon piece to cover the conection parts, to make the look as clean as possible.

And my old SW ED80 on top of my homemade groundpod and Benro KB-3 Head.

Boy, Fernando. You make better looking scopes than the scope makers themselves!

Another thing. A drawback to my solution is not being able to shoot portrait mode, because of the long plate. (at least not while focuser is all in.) I could have chopped it off a little, but never got to it. At the moment I don't need it, so if you want it, you can have it. :) (But I'm sure you could do your own, and better looking than mine :) )

I'm too lazy to worry too much about looks :). I'll probably just use mine as-is, but I do think your photos (for whatever reason) are a bit sharper than what I've been getting so far. Thanks to you guys, at least I know it's just me and not the scope...just have to work on technique and getting closer I think. Keep those images coming!

Last edited:
Astro gear

Pic 1
SW 80ED + Revelation Astro 50mm Ext tube +
Screw Fit Ext Tubes + Max DSLR EF Adapter + Canon 40D

Pic 2 + 3
Adjustable ext tube made from old Zoom Lens. All innards removed.
New focuser also fitted

Attachments

• Scope+Tripod.JPG
    Scope+Tripod.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 942
  • Focuser 2.jpg
    Focuser 2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 691
  • Focuser 3.jpg
    Focuser 3.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 857
This scope SW 120 ST 600mm f5 + Bayonet Ext tubes + Max DSLR Pentax K mount ( adapted from Canon mount )
+ Pentax K200D

Bayonet ext tubes + Cam not shown

Attachments

• 600+tripod.jpg
    600+tripod.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,026
Musoman: setup looks great!
A question: "Adjustable ext tube made from old Zoom Lens. All innards removed.
New focuser also fitted".
Are you able to focus helically (with the old zoom) ? Or are even the moving parts also removed, not just the glass?

Well strictly speaking - i no longer have the 80ED with the zoom lens attached ( without the innards and glass - got the idea from Fernando ) It was sold to a Bird forum member

The last photo i posted is the 120 ST 600 and isnt a match for the 80ED in quality. Its just half the price with a wider aperture

But no, the zoom function on the 80ED was just push or pull the outer barrel to change the near / far focusing. There was nothing at all left inside. It was just a way of shortening or lengthening the ext. tube without the hassle of having to dismantle anything, like you have to with screw or bayonet tubes

I'm still toying with the idea of a short tube light weight scope like Fernandos, ( half the weight of my 120ST and almost half the weight of the 80ED ) but with the same quality optics of the 80ED so that
i can drag the Focal Length back up and beyond with 1.5x abd 2x TC's, but without sacrificing the IQ

Last edited:
Here's my setup.

Nikon D90 and Orion 80ED scope with 50mm T-tube extension and chipped T-adapter. Carrying handle on rings.

Old Velbon VGB-3 tripod (needs to be upgraded).

Giottos MH-1000 ball head (used for pan only).

Home-made wooden tilt mount.

Attachments

• Orion 80 and mount 1480.JPG
    Orion 80 and mount 1480.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 1,390
Last edited:
A quick question for all you highly knowlegeable masters of the astro-scoping community, what tripods are you using?

I just took the plunge and ordered the SW 80ED, Max DSLR and Entension tubes so hope to have it all soon for a play. I did then start to wonder, with the increased weight over my usual kit, whether you guys have any tripod / head recommendations?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back