• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grallaria sp (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Grallaria fenwickorum/urraoensis
Originally Posted by Peter Kovalik [30th March 2011] >
SACC Proposal 479 has been modified again:
Part A: Recognize recently described Grallaria as a species
Part B: Chose a scientific name and English name for the new species (if Part A passes)
So far, two votes to recognise the new species as Grallaria urraoensis, and two abstentions.

Last edited:
I would agree with Thomas...this sort of issue should be taken up with ICZN. Any decision on nomenclature they decide is automatically trumped by the decision of ICZN (as far as I know)

Any decision on nomenclature they decide is automatically trumped by the decision of ICZN (as far as I know)
Unfortunately, no one on either 'side' seems to have been inclined to submit a case to ICZN.

The fenwickorum camp probably considers that it's a matter for others to challenge the the first description (and is perhaps reassured by the fact that BirdLife International and IUCN have provisionally recognised Grallaria fenwickorum).

But the urraoensis camp perhaps doesn't have confidence that ICZN would rule in its favour? Or maybe SACC will submit a case to ICZN if the proposal to recognise G urraoensis is passed by the committee (in the belief that the case would then be stronger)?

If SACC recognises G urraoensis but doesn't then seek an opinion from ICZN, I guess many in the ornithological community would just follow anyway. It would then presumably fall upon the fenwickorum camp to submit a case to ICZN.

Last edited:
Many thanks, Thomas. :t:

Although seeking an opinion from ICZN might at first appear to be a simple/obvious solution, there are clearly many complicating factors.

Thomas,
one clarification if you please: is there any timeline on the revision of the code that you mention? 1, 2, 5, or 10 years?

Niels

Code update

http://iczn.org/content/5th-edition-wiki

"Several issues now confronting the zoological community make desirable the development of a 5th edition of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (Code) 1. Prime among them are electronic publication, registration of names, and typification of newly discovered rare and endangered species."

I think this is all the information that is available. The main link on this page seems to be broken though.

SACC proposal

AOU-SACC Proposal #479 passed 2 Aug 2011: Recent Changes.

Daniel Cadena on NEOORN today:
Dear All,

I thought many of you would like to know that the South American Checklist Committee of the AOU has reached a veredict on the name of the new Grallaria antpitta from Colombia: Grallaria urraoensis it is!

http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCprop479.html

Note that the two members of the committee directly involved with the controversy abstained from voting (the proposal was up on the web for nearly four months, open to comments from everybody).

Not sure this is the end of the whole story, but well, it is for now...

Saludos,

Daniel
Actually, one of the two abstainers from proposal 479B changed his abstention to a YES vote, so the final voting for the name urraoensis was: Yes - 7, Abstain - 1, Didn't vote - 2.
Proposal Tracking Chart.

Last edited:
I would probably be more supportive of this had ICZN ruled first, or if a published study actually was done concluding that the holotype feathers were not identifiable to species and outlining the other problems with the description. This is generally what is done in Paleo if you disagree whether something is a separate species.

Bird conservationists make a stand for fenwickorum

Grallaria fenwickorum accepted by BirdLife International www.birdlife.org/...fenwickorum with much useful data.

BirdLife International (2011) Species factsheet: Grallaria fenwickorum. Downloaded from http://www.birdlife.org on 03/08/2011.

It is certainly interesting to note the division between ornithologists and bird conservationists on this issue.

Some ideas for the new ICZN CODE

Right that’s clear then, perhaps it is worth ICZN clarifying things for the benefit of future researchers. I would suggest:
1. Whilst a bird species may be described from photographs in Asia, such as the Bugun Liocichla, such descriptions are not valid in the Americas where specimens should always be obtained. This only applies to birds and not to other forms.
2. A statement of intention to deposit in a museum with a large collection is sufficient, but if the species is deposited in a smaller museum and later transferred to a museum with a large collection, then the specimen is invalid (except of course where the transfer arises by order of a governmental body due to the breach of collecting regulations).
3. Any researcher who discovers a new bird species during the course of their employment, and does not inform the employer and describes the species in secret, is allowed an extra year when considering the priority of names, so if published within one year following another description the second has priority.
4. A name is not available if relates to a person who has been associated with any organization that has published anything that has offended any senior member of the relevant scientific community during the previous 5 years.

This is hilarious Robert! The politically-motivated contractions in the SACC decision are obvious for all to see. Anyway, I'll be in touch with you regarding my Christmas tour - I can't wait to get back to Colombia.

This is hilarious Robert! The politically-motivated contractions in the SACC decision are obvious for all to see.
Few involved in this affair, in both camps, can honestly claim that their actions or statements have been free of political motivations!

Last edited:
Grallaria fenwickorum accepted by BirdLife International www.birdlife.org/...fenwickorum with much useful data.

BirdLife International (2011) Species factsheet: Grallaria fenwickorum. Downloaded from http://www.birdlife.org on 03/08/2011.

It is certainly interesting to note the division between ornithologists and bird conservationists on this issue.

From the same factsheet:-
'Taxonomic note A new species of Grallaria antpitta has been described and named as G. fenwickorum and G. urraoensis in two separate papers by different authors (Barrera et al. 2010; Carantón-Ayala and Certuche-Cubillos 2010). When the taxon was assessed and accepted as a species by the BirdLife Taxonomic Working Group it was understood that G. fenwickorum took priority following the rules of nomenclature and the species has thus been accepted as such by the BTWG: further clarification may result in the species name being changed in future.'

Not really 'making a stand for fenwickorum'.

Brian S

BirdLife International

Not really 'making a stand for fenwickorum'.
...and the adoption of the English name Antioquia (rather than Fenwick's) Antpitta also suggests a desire to avoid unqualified endorsement of either position.

Also: www.birdlife.org/datazone/info/taxonomy
...BirdLife does not pretend to be an authority on the taxonomic status of the world’s birds (and indeed does not have the resources or aspiration to become this) but rather seeks to set a globally consistent taxonomic standard relevant to establishing conservation priorities through, for example, identifying globally threatened bird species...
I suspect that BLI was primarily concerned to get the new species listed as Critically Endangered (CR) asap, whatever the ultimately-accepted scientific name.

Last edited:
...was assessed and accepted as a species by the BirdLife Taxonomic Working Group ...'

It is clear that BirdLife International did not wait for the inevitable and biased decision of SACC as they published the species account just months ago while SACC was trying to overturn clear taxonomic priority.

I notice that the 7th crucial "deciding" YES vote came from Gary Stiles who wrote: "I abstain on the proposal itself, having been directly involved in the controversy." How ironic that they needed his vote to push through his own controversy.

It is also worth pointing out that many taxonomic authorities /opinions do not follow SACC to the letter. For example, the BirdLife Taxonomic Working Group differences from SACC in that they do not recognise 32 SACC species, whilst 69 additional species are recognised by the Taxonomic Working Group.

However, neither SACC nor BirdLife International have the last word.

I suspect Birdlife International is far down the list of accepted taxonomic authorities, and I suspect they will probably change the species name next time they update.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back