Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Panasonic FZ150

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.90 average.
Old Monday 5th September 2011, 15:54   #1
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Panasonic FZ150

There are some first samples on dpreview for this new camera:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11...50_gallery.asp

They say these are from a pre-production camera.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Monday 5th September 2011 at 15:57.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 18th September 2011, 04:49   #2
scodgerott

Some of the images and reviews I've seen to date give the camera the thumbs up. It looks so good I've ordered one to replace my FZ100. I think the faster auto focus and the additional zoom/focus lever on the left hand side of the lens barrel, plus better image quality make this model a real winner. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
Old Sunday 18th September 2011, 09:23   #3
Hobbes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scodgerott View Post
Some of the images and reviews I've seen to date give the camera the thumbs up. It looks so good I've ordered one to replace my FZ100. I think the faster auto focus and the additional zoom/focus lever on the left hand side of the lens barrel, plus better image quality make this model a real winner. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
Hi Roger
I agree. I'm even tempted (having just bought the G3 and 100-300mm lens). I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.
Hobbes
Old Sunday 18th September 2011, 10:43   #4
Winterdune

As a fellow G3 owner I'm also tempted! I don't like changing lenses all the time so I am thinking that I will use the G3 for distance and the FZ150 for video and everything else. Although I'm waiting until the Canon SX40 is out before I decide.
Sean
Old Sunday 18th September 2011, 14:01   #5
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Let us know about your impressions once you have used it for a while. I'm particularly interested in the video performance, as that is where my FZ35 still is not optimal. Same with reaction speed on single shots.

I don't think I need the FullHD feature, simply for storage reasons. Thus performance on the 720HD level would also be of interest. I hope the increased frame rate would improve the fast motion results like on wing beats and when an object has a high angle speed.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 19th September 2011, 00:10   #6
scodgerott

I'll look forward to getting the camera and giving it a try out. Will let you know how it goes.
Old Saturday 24th September 2011, 11:45   #7
roger1234

amateur photographer have reviewed this camera in next weeks edition.
to cut a long story short:
the verdict is 4 stars out of 5

stating it is a good model,with ease of use,impressive specification-especially in terms of the zoom range-and high level of user control.

however as is often the case with a superzoom camera,compromises in image quality are apparent by the noise levels and smudged detail.
Old Monday 3rd October 2011, 14:19   #8
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1234 View Post
......however as is often the case with a superzoom camera,compromises in image quality are apparent by the noise levels and smudged detail.
At this point, I'm just happy if there ARE improvements in IQ over previous versions. And most of all, if autofocus is faster and more reliable than previously. I can live quite well with the over all image quality of my FZ35, except in the long-zoom pictures. But that's where the small objective diameter sets the limit. So there may be not much that can be done about that, unless there could be some electronic enhancement.
!

Old Monday 3rd October 2011, 19:39   #9
Winterdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1234 View Post
...as is often the case with a superzoom camera,compromises in image quality are apparent by the noise levels and smudged detail.
The FZ150 at 24x seems to resolve better detail then the Sony HX100V at 30x. Panny on left, Sony on right here. More can be found at http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...solution.shtml

Hope they add the Canon SX40 soon.
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82FBF05A36A24AE5B5F4B5A31940644D.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	350361  
Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 03:38   #10
DamianJP

Hey guys Im new to this forum. And I would like to say it is a very nice community you have here and the galleries of pics are awesome. Very cool!

I got my Sony H20 stolen and really wasn't into nature shots (photography in general), just using it as a tool. But it all has changed and I want to get into taking good shots, mainly birds/nature. So Im in the hunt for my first good camera.

I started searching and found the FZ150K, I really like it. Seems like it's the top of the superzooms right now.
JPEG+RAW(To tweak) / 1080P 30&60fps / 24x zoom / manual controls /external mic / hot shoe

Im new to this photography stuff and trying to get the best shots but Im learning REAL fast. :)

Im torn between a entry level DSLR with a long range zoom lens or just to get the FZ150K for around $450 . Gonna be close to $1,000 USD for the DSLR setup as I would need the 300mm lens to get that zoom. I really just dont have the money to get the DSLR setup right now.

I read I think every review about the Panasonic DMC-FZ150K but If anyone here has any firsthand usage with one if they can post some pics or PM me , mabey you can tell me what you like/dislike ,how the shots look and what manual controls does it have ...ect.

Thanks,
DamianJP
Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 12:52   #11
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Welcome to birdforum!

A couple of comments:
The superzoom is going to give you more reach than the dSLR (with a 300mm max lens). The DSLR has better low light performance and faster AF and overall the images are a little better, even though I see only a little difference in good light.

Don't forget that there is an in between solution as well, the mirror-less cameras, especially the m4/3 series. If you browse around here you will find quite a few threads on Pana GH2, G3, and the 100-300 lens for them.

Regarding superzoom: I have yet to see a superzoom where I would use RAW, they usually save too slowly for it to be viable.

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 14:11   #12
DamianJP

Thank You njlarsen!

I really like the all-in-one package with the FZ150K but I know sometimes the all-in-one suffers in features sometimes.

I gonna do some research about the G3.
Any other companies have that same in-between kind of camera that I should take a look at?

Still a hard decision for me but Ill start to do more research tonight.

For the Sony is the same option the Translucent series?
A35 or A55?

Nikon 1 system?

Seems no mirrorless for Canon right now.

Well Thanks again for giving me another option before I spend some $$$. I'd rather wait and do TONS of research rather than jump into something and wish I went another "route".

Thanks again,
DamianJP
Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 15:09   #13
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Olympus makes cameras that match lenses with the panasonic ones.

Nikon one has a smaller sensor than the m4/3, and if I remember correctly not any in system long lens yet; you can adapt full size nikon lenses, but how the function of that really is will be unknown until real users get their hands on this system.

Pentax has a camera out quite similar to the nikon 1 I believe

Sony has something similar to the mirrorless and something with translucent mirrors, but quite honestly I don't know much about them.

Good luck in your quest!

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 15:34   #14
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianJP View Post

For the Sony is the same option the Translucent series?
A35 or A55?
Those Sony's would be equivalent to an entry level DSLR--not a micro 4/3rds camera. They have the same size sensors as DSLRs, and also, like DSLRs, require larger lenses to get the same "reach". Micro 4/3rds camera (note these are different from 4/3rds cameras) are listed here: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/body.html

Best,
Jim

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 17:58   #15
DamianJP

Im starting to think that the Panasonic DMC-FZ150K would be a better choice due to my budget right now.

$450 versus the $650+ and then $300 for a 300mm lens. I mean I guess I could just wait longer and save up money little by little and then drop around $1000 for a better camera + lens . But Im just getting into this Nature shooting and photography in general and I don't know if a initial investment in a camera and gear for that much would be wise. I don't know Im kind of bad with making decisions like this.

I definitively know one thing , I need to macro and to zoom, also need 1080 videos (preferably 60fps).

Thanks again,
DamianJP
Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 18:09   #16
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
$450 versus the $650+ and then $300 for a 300mm lens.
The 100-300mm Panny zoom lens for the G3 (which Niels mentioned and is what I'd recommend for that camera for bird photography) is currently $600 at B&H Photo. Don't think you can get it for $300. Might make your decision easier.

Jim

Last edited by Jim M. : Tuesday 4th October 2011 at 18:12.

Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 20:34   #17
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Damian,
that might be a good strategy, purchase a superzoom to see if you really like photos that much, and if you do you can always upgrade later. (for me personally, there also has to be travel money so I can go interesting places to use the equipment, it is not enough to just own it).

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 21:33   #18
DamianJP

Yeah I think I'm going the super zoom route right now.

Is the Panasonic DMC-FZ150K the best of the Super's right now?

Thank you guys for helping me out!

Anyone have the FZ150 yet?
If so what kinda of manual controls does it have?
And what are your pro's and con's about it?

Thanks,
DamianJP
Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 22:08   #19
KenM

Quote:
Yeah I think I'm going the super zoom route right now.

Is the Panasonic DMC-FZ150K the best of the Super's right now?

Thank you guys for helping me out!
Looking at the comparatives in post 9....I'm seeing the Sony as looking (sharper) and more contrasty than the Panasonic...whats the consensus on that?

ps..I have the Sony

cheers
Old Tuesday 4th October 2011, 22:49   #20
scodgerott

Hi Damian, While I can't give you a first hand view of the FZ150 (its on order), I have the FZ100 and while its a very good camera, the reasons I decided to upgrade to the FZ150 were as follows. First of all, it has the new "light speed" autofocus, which is also used on the g3 and is claimed to be as fast, if not faster than the autofocus speeds on DSLR cameras. Secondly, it has a second zoom/focus control, which makes it more versatile. This will be very useful if you are trying to shoot a bird flying towards you and you need to zoom out and refocus at the same time. The new manual focus arrangement is a huge improvement on the current manual focus arrangement on the FZ100. So those two features alone make it a better camera than the already good FZ100. On top of that, it has better image quality and slightly faster burst shooting modes. The FZ100/150 have the fastest burst shooting in the super zoom area and are faster than just about all the DSLRs as well. I shoot a lot of birds and use the 40fps burst mode frequently. None of the other cameras offer that feature. If you use the 5.5fps burst mode it will auto focus between shots, none of the other superzooms offer that feature either. I think that for bird photography, this is one of the best. The only other camera I would consider (personal choice here) is the Panasonic G3, which also has the light speed auto focus, but slower burst rates, although it does have a 20 fps burst mode. It will also give better images, especially in low light, but if you add the 100-300 lens (which you would need) then it is also a lot more expensive. I think that starting off with the FZ150 is a good idea, as its easy to carry around and very versatile. You can always upgrade to a bigger camera later, in the mean time you will be able to get some excellent pics, especially in good light.
Old Wednesday 5th October 2011, 01:44   #21
DamianJP

Hey guys

KenM:
I have a very "Untrained" eye but Ill tell you what I see in the pic in post #9.

Far right shot (HX100V?)
Tree foliage:
Looks darker and has more darker shade/shadow spots.

Area coverage:
I don't know if it's zoomed in more or the area coverage is less than the other 2 pics, mabey abit of both. Notice less water below boats and on top of tress.

Water:
Water on top of tress looks darker as does the water below boats.

Grass and two part color sections of the "field":
Look almost grey/dull , especially the top section of the field.

To tell you the truth I dont see much difference of the sharpness of the 1st and 3rd shot. Just a darker hue of blue for 3rd pic and top trees.
And darker less dull green grass and most of the trees for the 1st pic.

The 2nd shot looks the least sharp of the 3 pics and looks like it has a slightly brighter hue for the tree foliage, grass, water (everything) than the other two. Side of the boat is blurry/smudged cant even tell there a blue stripe running down the side of the middle boat like the others look like.

Only spot in photo 3 that looks sharper "slightly" is the bottom water section, yes it's darker but to me it look very slightly sharper especially around the boats.

Again this is an VERY untrained eye looking at this. Id like to say that I think the HX100V is a nice camera. I wanted this camera first when I was shopping for superzooms , but I wanted a camera with RAW. I LOVE the panorama Sony has, and the stills/video looks awesome too.

scodgerott:
Thanks for pointing out some of the features of the FZ150K! I cant wait to learn/work with this camera and learn to get good shots and such.

I pretty excited and have a quick question for an item(s) I seen on Amazon.
I seen this kit on amazon are these add on lens gonna be worth it and If I do get the lenses, I think I need this adapter too? Im gonna need the bag/tripod too. They have panasonic versions of there lens but they are more expensive.
Also the Tele lens is 1.7x for Pana's , the kit on amazon is 2.2x.
Dont know if its worth it or not.

Kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...7778079&sr=8-3

Adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-...7778198&sr=1-1

Thanks,
DamianJP

Last edited by DamianJP : Wednesday 5th October 2011 at 01:48.
Old Wednesday 5th October 2011, 03:34   #22
scodgerott

Hi Damian, I am getting excited too, as the FZ150 due very soon, either this week or next. In the mean time I can live quite comfortably with the FZ100. With regards to those items on Amazon. The lens kit is pretty good, but cheap and with lens you get what you pay for, so while it looks like good value, it may just be crap. The other link - the lens tube adapter could be quite useful, although I have seen non-Panasonic ones on ebay for about $7. On occasions, I use a 2x Sony teleconverter, which was designed for a video camera and with a couple of step down rings, that will screw straight onto the front lens of the camera. The lens I use isn't very heavy and therefore doesn't put too much strain on the screw thread, which is really designed only for lightweight filters. If you get a bigger (in size and weight) lens, the adapter tube becomes necessary, as it screws into the body of the camera. Its not very expensive, even at $20+, so its probably worth buying.
Old Wednesday 5th October 2011, 11:48   #23
Barred Wobbler

Quote:
Hi Damian, I am getting excited too, as the FZ150 due very soon, either this week or next. In the mean time I can live quite comfortably with the FZ100. With regards to those items on Amazon. The lens kit is pretty good, but cheap and with lens you get what you pay for, so while it looks like good value, it may just be crap. The other link - the lens tube adapter could be quite useful, although I have seen non-Panasonic ones on ebay for about $7. On occasions, I use a 2x Sony teleconverter, which was designed for a video camera and with a couple of step down rings, that will screw straight onto the front lens of the camera. The lens I use isn't very heavy and therefore doesn't put too much strain on the screw thread, which is really designed only for lightweight filters. If you get a bigger (in size and weight) lens, the adapter tube becomes necessary, as it screws into the body of the camera. Its not very expensive, even at $20+, so its probably worth buying.
I'd second what you say about being wary of cheap lenses.

My son was after a 1.7x teleconverter for his Lumix . He didn't want to listen to advice and went ahead and bought a cheapie on E-Bay.

When the lens came I set up my wife's FZ50 on a tripod and fired off some test shots with the new lens and her Panasonic lens.

When he saw the results he soon changed his mind and got the Panasonic lens. The cheapie went back, and after a fair bit of trouble and threats he got his refund.

Buyer beware.

The results are shown below - same images, same distance, same conditions, tripod mounted. No sharpening or other adjustment. They are just as they came out of the camera. Panasonic first, cheapie second. There's also an example of how the cheap lens coped with text, at greater range than the flowers.

It's hard to believe something as bad as this gets manufactured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-pan-copy.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	350560  Click image for larger version

Name:	1-swat-copy.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	350561  Click image for larger version

Name:	2a-pan-copy.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	350562  Click image for larger version

Name:	2-swat-copy.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	350563  Click image for larger version

Name:	10-swat-copy.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	350564  

Old Wednesday 5th October 2011, 12:54   #24
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:

scodgerott:
Thanks for pointing out some of the features of the FZ150K! I cant wait to learn/work with this camera and learn to get good shots and such.

I pretty excited and have a quick question for an item(s) I seen on Amazon.
I seen this kit on amazon are these add on lens gonna be worth it and If I do get the lenses, I think I need this adapter too? Im gonna need the bag/tripod too. They have panasonic versions of there lens but they are more expensive.
Also the Tele lens is 1.7x for Pana's , the kit on amazon is 2.2x.
Dont know if its worth it or not.

Kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...7778079&sr=8-3

Adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-...7778198&sr=1-1
As others have suggested, the kit is probably junk. Also, the FZ150 is not an interchangeable lens camera, so these are not really what I would call "lenses" but converters that are attached to the front of the built in lens on the camera. Moreover, the camera already comes with a lens with a vast zoom range down to 25mm or so, which is already wide angle. So you don't need a converter to get wide angle. It also gives you a high level of magnification, to 600mm or so. I'd see whether you feel you want more for the type of photography you do first before ordering a teleconverter. If you want something cheaper than Panny's teleconverter the TCON 17 by Olympus is decent and used by many of us here on previous panny ultrazoom models.

Best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim M. : Wednesday 5th October 2011 at 12:58.

Old Wednesday 5th October 2011, 14:42   #25
DamianJP

Man you guys are awesome!! I know this thread wasn't started by me so is it accpetable that I keep posting my personal interests and buying options of the FZ150? I mean it would help out others in the same position or have the same questions about the FZ150 I think but let me know. I don't wanna break forum etiquette.

I will not get the kit bases on everyone advice and those pics. Ewww man your right how does a company A)Feel comfortable putting out crap, B)Is let to be able to put out crap like that. I guess it all comes down to money talks... I will use the camera stock and see how I like it, like J.Moore said.

I ordered a Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10E, should be enough of space right now without breaking $50.

I just found a old but good condition tri pod , its older though. Have they changed the mounting system over the years, mainly the screw/thread of the screw part?

Any have a good recommendation on a good case to get for the FZ150?

Thanks again guys !,
DamianJP
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: