Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Rose-coloured Starling influx

Old Monday 18th June 2012, 09:01   #1
Mark Newsome
Born to seawatch...

Rose-coloured Starling influx

At least 15 Rose-coloured Starlings have been reported around the country since the start of June, so all indications are that we're in for a good early summer period. Still plenty of time for more arrivals.

But has anyone heard anything from the eastern Med/elsewhere in Europe? Has there been a larger than average build-up in numbers at sites where they are more regular - eg Turkey, Greece. Are there decent numbers on the near continent, just waiting to come across the North Sea?

Keep checking those local suburban Starling flocks!

Mark
Old Monday 18th June 2012, 09:51   #2
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Newsome View Post
But has anyone heard anything from the eastern Med/elsewhere in Europe? Has there been a larger than average build-up in numbers at sites where they are more regular - eg Turkey, Greece. Are there decent numbers on the near continent, just waiting to come across the North Sea?

Keep checking those local suburban Starling flocks!

Mark
there was an influx into Hungary week 4 of May

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 18th June 2012, 19:52   #3
Alex_HJ

There's a cracking adult at Rhos on Sea, North Wales at the moment! Well worth seeing. More details, information and images on here: http://birdingnorthwales.blogspot.co...os-on-sea.html

Cheers, Alex

Last edited by Alex_HJ : Monday 18th June 2012 at 19:58.
Old Tuesday 19th June 2012, 06:35   #4
wolfbirder

That Welsh adult bird is stunning. Having only ever seen a single grotty juvenile I am quite gutted not to have been able to go for this yet.

Strange there has been a mini influx.

Hope it lingers but unlikely!
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Tuesday 19th June 2012, 08:54   #5
cajanuma

Quote:
A

But has anyone heard anything from the eastern Med/elsewhere in Europe?
There was a pretty good influx into Italy at the very end of May. As usual, most birds were in the north-east, and records were highly concentrated in a narrow window of a very few days around May 29-June 1. A few stragglers are still being seen.
Old Tuesday 19th June 2012, 09:06   #6
PhilW

Nick.

The Welsh bird is really stunning and very confiding. Its worth trying to get there if you can.

Its amazing N Wales have had 7 -8 over the last few years along the same area of coast yet in Cheshire we've not had one twitchable one. One day........

Mark - it might be coincidence but it seems the adults I've seen are always on their own (and on feeders!) and juveniles quite often with a flock of Common Starlings. Anyone else noticed this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rose-coloured Starling17 170612.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	390880  

Last edited by PhilW : Tuesday 19th June 2012 at 09:08.
Old Tuesday 19th June 2012, 10:26   #7
jogresh
Registered nutjob

I wouldn't be surprised if that extensive high pressure system last month has a lot to do with it, as it stretched all the way into central Asia, and would also explain the good numbers of Red Footed Falcons in W Europe too. In fact it could have helped the Great Knot on its way for part of its journey.
Cracking bird hope it lingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
That Welsh adult bird is stunning. Having only ever seen a single grotty juvenile I am quite gutted not to have been able to go for this yet.

Strange there has been a mini influx.

Hope it lingers but unlikely!
Old Wednesday 20th June 2012, 06:09   #8
wolfbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
Nick.

The Welsh bird is really stunning and very confiding. Its worth trying to get there if you can.

Its amazing N Wales have had 7 -8 over the last few years along the same area of coast yet in Cheshire we've not had one twitchable one. One day........

Mark - it might be coincidence but it seems the adults I've seen are always on their own (and on feeders!) and juveniles quite often with a flock of Common Starlings. Anyone else noticed this?
Managed to get there yesterday Phil..........stunning bird!

Yes i know what you mean about the habits - altho it favoured the same areas and rooftops, it never flew with the other Starlings.

This was a beauty, not just the obvious black and pink plumage but the crest on the nape, a feature i had not previously noticed. In my travels in europe this species has always eluded me, so I really enjoyed seeing this fantastic bird.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Wednesday 20th June 2012, 14:29   #9
Alex_HJ

It's funny as its the second record these gardens have had a adult RCS! There was another super adult 7 years ago exact same place! Still present today but seems a lot more elusive than previous days.
Old Thursday 21st June 2012, 14:12   #10
Daniel Martin

Poss 3 adults reported together this morning in Norfolk, although no sign lunch time.
Old Thursday 21st June 2012, 14:15   #11
Rob Smallwood

Rhos bird missing..

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st June 2012, 18:36   #12
Jane Turner

Its due in my garden

Last Cheshire Pied Wheatear (313) last Red Rocks Subalpine Warbler (260), last Garden Bonaparte's Gull (209), last Self-found Citrine Wagtail (294)

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st June 2012, 18:45   #13
Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Martin View Post
Poss 3 adults reported together this morning in Norfolk, although no sign lunch time.
Young Magpies?

Mike.
Old Thursday 21st June 2012, 18:53   #14
David Norgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Young Magpies?

Mike.
Possible, but it wouldn't be the first time three adult Rose-coloured Starlings together in Norfolk. A few years ago there were 3 at Sheringingham, unfortunately in an area deemed not suitable for the release of news (but there were some great photos, although not of all three together)
Old Thursday 21st June 2012, 19:19   #15
Cheshire Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Turner View Post
Its due in my garden
As long as it stays a few days.

CB
Old Thursday 21st June 2012, 22:30   #16
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
Are there decent numbers on the near continent, just waiting to come across the North Sea?
I am afraid not!
Five in the Netherlands this year, but none in June, one in Belgium (pretty much on the Dutch border) yesterday, none in Germany.
However, Austria had a group of ten in early June: http://www.club300.at/watchings?filt...ilter2=**ALL**

Last edited by Xenospiza : Thursday 21st June 2012 at 22:33.
Old Friday 22nd June 2012, 10:42   #17
Steve1Saunders

I had on on Korcula, Croatia in early May so presumably that ties up with what's now going in further west
Old Friday 22nd June 2012, 15:56   #18
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
However, Austria had a group of ten in early June: http://www.club300.at/watchings?filt...ilter2=**ALL**
I arrived in Burgenland on the date of the observation there, but the birds had gone by the next morning...
MJB
Old Friday 22nd June 2012, 22:29   #19
Xenospiza
Undescribed

My summary was redundant as I typed it, because today it became known that there was one in the Netherlands yesterday.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2012, 14:10   #20
Alex_HJ

Just had a report through that at the same time of an adult in Rhos-on-sea last weekend there was also another adult in Pensarn (near abergele) and this week there's another (different looking) adult on anglesey near Valley. So that's 3 in North Wales alone in a space of a week! Not bad!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: